1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Suspicious?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by airportkid, Nov 8, 2006.

1. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    For the last several months fuel prices have declined steadily, without any upticks - at least here in the Bay Area. Driving home tonight, I saw that the prices have for the first time increased slightly - 5 cents - at the close of election day. There are many factors that drive retail fuel pricing, and OPEC doesn't dance to Cheney and his sock puppet's tune - but this uptick right at THIS instant just looks real suspicious - like a release of valve that had been deliberately kept screwed down a shade extra tight to give a certain political wing a bit of an advantage and now can be set back to its regular setting.

Well, let's see what happens in the following weeks. So vile has been the dirty work of the last six years it's brought me to regard a suspicion like this seriously.

Meanwhile, it's encouraging to see the Rove machine thwarted or overcome, with election results more or less tallying to what advance polls indicated.

Mark Baird
    Alameda CA

2. CMonster

CMonster Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Gas prices going up? After the election? I'm shocked. Shocked, I tell ya.
    It's just a coincidence, I'm sure. ;)

3. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I thought they told us the gas prices were at the mercy of the market. :eek:

4. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(huskers @ Nov 8 2006, 09:38 AM) [snapback]345418[/snapback]</div>
    How many extra miles nation-wide were caused by the election? You, driving to the polls. Politicians dashing about between meetings and visiting voters. Voters attending meetings and rallies. Polling staff and police miles. Celebrations afterwards.
    If the demand for fuel has gone up as a result, it's no surprise that the price rises.

5. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It's as coincidental as the timing of Saddam's verdict.

6. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtm...30/ccview30.xml

It's known as the plunge protection team, another creation of Ronald Raygun (yes, I know how to spell). I doubt that the price of gasoline will suddenly spike back to $3 now that the election is over but I wouldn't be surprised if things get back to 'normal' soon.

7. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    And don't forget that the oil companies (who, after all are doing everything they do for us, the consumer) *need* extra profits, because drilling for oil is just so darn expensive...

The timing of Saddam's verdict, especially, is really a remarkable act of coincidence, isn't it?

This sort of thing is so transparent; it's insulting to me that the process would continue to be manipulated in this way.

8. Schmika

Schmika New Member

An article in "The Economist", a british publication, spoke about fuel prices in North America. Without getting into what they said, it had nothing to do with our elections. Hey all you arrogant Americans, the world energy supplies do not rotate around the U.S.

Do you LISTEN to yourselves?

Everyone, even you Pinto Girl (and me....but I fight it) fall into the trap of believing what fits your world view.

9. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Well, we do consume over 20% of global oil production. So we definitely influence the price but you're right Carl, the reason for the decline in prices was very large quantities of oil in storage (already pumped). The BP Alaska fiasco which occurred at the same time as the Lebanon conflict didn't spike the price of oil. If inventory hadn't been so high the effect would have been greater. The speculators and traders finally exhausted their ability to drive the price up because supply was too great.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Schmika @ Nov 8 2006, 06:17 PM) [snapback]345937[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, that one's tough. It's recognizing it that's important. That's what so many people fail to do.