1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SUV interest is fading

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by john1701a, Oct 26, 2004.

1. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It's becoming more and more obvious that the reign of the dinosaurs is coming to a close. Overwhelming demand for those vehicles is finally over. The market is totally saturated with choices.

We've even seen how the shape is transforming from fierce & rigid to smooth & sleek to help keep the interest going. But ironically, the perpetuator of that original mindset is the same one that's pushing harder than others to redefine it: Ford.

The Escape-Hybrid is proof. The traditional Escape had a very difficult time competing with it's bigger brothers, so much so Ford really had a hard time deciding which plant to build the hybrid in. Now, the hybrid is already drawing so much attention that the tables are quickly turning.

And to further sweeten the deal, Ford has begun promotion of Freestyle. It's their new vehicle that looks remarkably like a SUV, especially the front (which looks virtually identical to the one). It isn't a SUV though, it's actually a fat wagon. So the inherent problems with instability due to height is reduced significantly. That, along with the cone & belt CVT, will help to improve efficiency... which just happens to help promote the both the smooth CVT feel and interest in MPG.

It's about dang time!

2. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I read an account of a woman who worked at a Ford dealership. In the morning, they received their first Escape hybrid and she planned to go check it out after lunch. When she went to see the car, she found out it had been sold for 10k over MSRP during lunch. It was on the lot a total of three hours.
    Good sign, I think.
    B

3. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The regular Escape is the same thing as a mazda isn't it? i wonder why Mazda isn't into a hybrid version of theirs?

4. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    In the past, it was in vogue to surpass your neighbors by purchasing a larger SUV than what they had. BIGGER was better. So each model over the past decade has grew... to the point where they no longer fit in your garage. Ahhh!

Now, SMARTER is becoming better. Phew!

To be in the "in crowd", your SUV will have to be practical sized, clean, and efficient. That's pretty cool, a great way to spite those that fought me along the way. However, I'd really like to tell them to "kiss my gas". But I'll refrain.

5. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I couldn't agree more. I would NOT consider myself a "traditional" conservationist - far from it. But I am pragmatic, especialy when it hits me in my wallet. I used to own lake property that was only accessible by 5km of poorly maintained gravel road, so I had a 4WD pickup with high ground clearance and poor fuel economy. I sold the property this summer and moved into a nice condo in the city, so out with the pickup and in with the nice Prius. FWIW I test-drove a Toyota Camry, a Buick LeSabre, and a (Shudder) Chrysler 300C. My Prius is the equal of those cars, especially in the safety department (VSC, Traction, head curtain airbags, etc) and was actually CHEAPER. My Prius won't smoke the tires, but who cares?

6. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    :lolup: :lolup: :lolup:
    :bootyshake: :bootyshake: :bootyshake: