1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SUVs get great mileage compaired to RVs.

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by hycamguy07, Sep 24, 2006.

1. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I googled the topic and this is what I found. One would think with the rising fuel costs and wanting to conserve fuel, people would be going after the RV owners more so than the SUV owners. I guess people dont really think of just how much fuel they use. :unsure:

http://www.answerbag.com/q_view.php/29183

Rv'ers idea of a Hybrid Camper:
    [​IMG]

Unusual RVs:
    http://americanrvrentals.com/unusual.htm

Now I can safely say Hummers & other SUVs get excellent gas mileage compaired to an RV. :rolleyes:

SO everytime you pass an RV on the interstate you can remember its the ultimate GASS HOG!
    Owners of gas coaches & rvs say they get 5 - 10 MPG with most in the 5 - 6 MPG range.
    Diesel owners say they get between 9 and 14 MPG with most in the 10 - 11 MPG range.
    Bus conversion owners say between 7 and 11 MPG is standard, depending on the year and condition of the motor. With a fill up price of $300 - $400 per tank of fuel :blink: :angry:

RV types:
    http://rvforsaleguide.com/rv-types.htm

One would think the manfacturers would be trying to build a Hybrid RV, there's already hybrid city buses. I would think they could carry the technology over into the private sector .. :unsure:
    The going price for a new gas guzzling RV is $50k - $2,000,000. Depending on size, model & design.

The most fuel efficent camper has to be the air cooled VW Although VW had a newer model the Euro Van.
    http://www.ev1.pair.com/VW/SO44_1.html

2. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ Sep 24 2006, 12:27 PM) [snapback]324351[/snapback]</div>
    Who's building RVs? If it's GM, there's your answer. I don't think Toyota builds RVs. And Toyota holds all the patents on the only full-hybrid system in consumer vehicles today.

But it's early. The Prius has only been around for 9 or 10 years. Maybe in another decade hybrid RVs will begin to appear.

Freight train locomotives are mostly a kind of hybrid, though, and that's the ultimate RV: a luxury train car with your own engine to pull it.

3. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    People don't drive RV's back and forth to work. It is inappropriate use of resources that bothers people.

Nate

4. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius @ Sep 24 2006, 07:53 PM) [snapback]324505[/snapback]</div>
    I'm also bothered by people pumping millions of tons of poisonous gases into the atmosphere that I have to breathe.

5. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius @ Sep 24 2006, 10:53 PM) [snapback]324505[/snapback]</div>
    Hmm, I've seen people that drive rvs to work, There are plenty of people that rv all accross america and burn that 100+ gallons of fuel. Heck some semis carry 200+ gallons of fuel as they only get 6 mpg..

I see people that have an SUV and one can see why they bought it, room for kids, room for hauling stuff. They could use a mini van and get better mpgs. But I guess mini vans are not prestigious enough to compete with the SUVs.

I wonder what kind of mpgs one could get in a Prius sittin on 20's?