1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Swap Front Side Marker and Turn Signal Wiring

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by alau802, Jul 28, 2010.

1. alau802

alau802 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    V
    On my Gen II Prius, I want to swap the Front Side Marker with the Turn Signal. Thus, the Front Side Marker becomes my blinker and the Turn Signal bulb as my Front Marker light. Since I do not have the money or patience to clear out the front orange reflectors, i decided to swap the light functionality. I plan to get some SMD 992 bulbs to replace the current halogen and make them my side markers.

What will be the best ways to do this? Is its as easy to just swap of 2 pairs of wires?(side markers to turn and vice versa). Change 1 cable or change it on the pinout near the harness. - I'm a hands on guy but not very knowledgeable about the car's electrical.

A similar thread on a GenIII Mod but I do not know if his turn signal becomes his side marker lights.

Front Side Marker Lights - change to turn signals

Please advise with some details. Thanks.

1 person likes this.
  2. alau802

alau802 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Never mind. I got it working. Swapped the turn signal function with the Front Side Marker Light. Installed some SMDs. Picture attached.

Attached Files:

3. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Are the side markers bright enough to serve as turn signals? Are you using your conversion for driving lights?

How did to change the wiring? Just cut the wires near the lights & splice them back with the changes? Or is there some connector where you could just move a few pins?

4. alau802

alau802 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    V
    At night, the side markers are enough to show the fast blinking. The conversion is used as my main driving light.
    Reading the post on the thread, I bravely cut the wiring and just swapped it out the wiring to the devices. However, I left the black/white wires. This may be causing the fast flashing.. Not sure..
    If someone has a fix, please let me know. I've attached another picture with the turn signal on. Note my HID seems yellower than my SMDs now.

Attached Files:

5. krg03

krg03 Not expert, just experienced

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The fast flashing is the same problem those that go with led and don't put the balast resistor in. The load the flasher wants is different now and you need a balast resistor (a guess). Same you would see if one of the bulbs was burnt out, fast flash until the load is proper. The fix is to look up the amps of each bulb and equalize it to what it should be with a load resistor (high wattage). OR change the flasher which would be costly to experiment. The HID yellow may be an optical illusion. I toyed with what you are doing and was going to do it under the dash by swaping out wires. It got confusing. I use the fog lights 6k bright upgrade as my driving lights. On when the car is "ready". Still turn them off if I want at the turn handle but don't need the headlights on to turn on the fog (driving lights) now. Use less battery but I have front lights on. At night they aren't enough so that I'm fooled and forget the headlights.
    You were brave in cutting wires. I would make the side markers something much brighter. Caution with the wiring size and the amps to the lights.

6. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Your light are "Hyper" flashing because the 194 bulb that is now your signal uses less energy than the 7440 bulb, so the flasher thinks a bulb is burnt out. What you need is a LED flasher......you can get them here: Toyota Lexus 8 Pin 12V Electronic LED Flasher Blinker Bulbs Relay Fix

I used that flasher in my app here:

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-prius-modifications/72592-led-bulbs-my-2008-a-4.html#post1153954

Heres a vid showing that the lights still flash when locking & unlocking......a common problem with other LED flashers. Click the video title:

[ame="http://s124.photobucket.com/albums/p12/sfv41901/Prius/?action=view&current=Prius002.mp4"]Prius :: Prius002.mp4 video by sfv41901 - Photobucket[/ame]