1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Swap interior between two Prii?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by meowlanie, May 22, 2024.

1. meowlanie

meowlanie New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Long time listener, first time caller here.

I am replacing my 2005 Prius with a 2007 Prius. My '05 has a tan leather interior, and the '07 I'm getting has a gray fabric interior. I love the tan interior and I want to find a way to swap the interiors between the two cars. Off the top of my head I'm thinking this would include the fabric (roof and floor), door panels (or just the whole doors if needed), seats, other tan plastic panels, and center console. I know it sounds ridiculous, but I love my '05 and am willing to commit the time/energy to this if it's possible.

My questions are:
    1. Is this an unrealistic/impossible task?
    2. Is there a manual that goes through how to disassemble the interior? I saw one for the gen 3 in another thread but couldn't find one for the gen 2.
    3. Has anyone done this before, or taken apart any large part of the interior? Pro tips?

2. Aloe

Aloe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow. I think it sounds possible. I would advise against removing the whole door unless you have a pro line it back to the body. This type of mod is more akin to someone wanting for better sound insulation and upgrading stereo.

You can go to a stereo shop or body shop and ask them how many hours and cost this would take to get an idea of how many hours it would take a non pro like you to do. I would guess it would take you 2x to 3x the time at the least. Incidentally I just watched a Youtube video of a Chinese shop taking apart an old Jaguar and a last generation S class Mercedes. I mean, they took it COMPLETELY apart, down to the chassis and engine parts, all the glass, for repaint, cleaning, refurb, was amazing. So yeah, possible. Also don't forget to factor in that you will be working on 2 cars, not one. And if you should beak any of those old and now fragile plastic parts (or even the clip attachment), you're going to have to source replacements.