1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

swapped AC compressor, amount of freon in lbs to be added?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by b0b88, Apr 30, 2020.

1. b0b88

b0b88 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    ello,

like the title says, i've swapped my locked compressor... added correct amount of nd-11 have pure freon on the ready... how many lbs of freon should be used?

car is on the vaccum rn as well no leaks :D

#1 b0b88, Apr 30, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2020
  2. Pluggo

Pluggo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I had to return to the dealer four times until they got it right. The bad compressor left metal filings in the lines, and they eventually replaced both the compressor and the evaporator- basically, they gave me a whole new AC system. When it was slightly overcharged it could only blow cold for 10 minutes. My advice is to leave it to the professionals who have all the equipment and who know how to use it.

3. Ed Beaty

Ed Beaty Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Beware: before you start DIYing your Prius air conditioning, have a close look at all the posts by Lech Auto Air Conditioning on this forum.

You're welcome....(assuming it's not too late)

4. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Assuming you have your EPA and the knowledge/skill/equipment to do the job...check with your local Toyota Service Department. If they won't help you...I have the 2010 service manual, but won't have time to pull it up for you until later tonight.

5. b0b88

b0b88 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    pffft, I read all of his posts.. and I've replaced every cars AC i've ever owned. I found the correct lbs for the car 1.06 lbs of pure freon. AC is running great cold as hell with an 85 dollar junk yard compressor. and yes for anyone reading I had the system evacuated by a local shop.

total repair cost $209 with $50 to evac the system :)

beats the 3200 toyota was quoting me to overhaul the entire system, I was told if they were to replace the compressor they should replace condenser, drier, expansion and flush the system. "since the compressor is 1600 might as well do everything"

#5 b0b88, May 1, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2020