1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Swapped MFD at dealership

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Flash Gordon, Mar 17, 2006.

1. Flash Gordon

Flash Gordon New Member

Local dealership changed MFD because they said something was wrong with the BT. :unsure: Supposedly the new one was a recondition MFD, but when I got the car back, the phone book was FULL with another persons phone numbers. Plus, all the numbers were from my local area. How could this be? If all the MFD are shipped back East, repaired and then installed in another car. What are the odds of me getting a MFD from the same area as I live in? Full of local phone numbers... To me is sounds like it just came from another Prius at the dealership and then they charged Toyota for a replacement and plus labor. When confronted with this situation -- they had nothing to say -- The factory must have forgotten to clear the memory -- sure. They did not clear it and all the numbers are local numbers --sure.

Anyway, now my milage has gone down 3mpg and the power scale never goes green-- Never had this problem before. Has any other owner had this same situation? Old average milage was 47 to 48, now its hard to get over 45. :angry:

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    hmm, strange indeed.

the MFD has no influence on mpg or any other hybrid system function, it's basically like a computer monitor in that respect- just a readout of what's going on, but i don't know why they would have not cleared the memory. it's true they do send all defective MFDs back to the manufacturer for reconditioning and they send everything back out... but that's strange. i don't know how they could have gotten away with not sending one back and installing it in another car instead- unless there was a mix-up and they grabbed one that was intended to be sent back instead of the refurb one that was supposed to go in the car...

3. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah I would not put too much stock into the MFD. It is only a dispay. Heck, my MFD just said I got 59.7 MPG but when I hand calced it, it only came to 52.1 MPG. :(

What they probably do is install a reconditioned one in your car, then send yours back to be fixed. Yours will then go into someone elses car when it gets sent back. Depending on what they fixed does not necessarily wipe the data in it although one would think they should make that a step to clear all user data.