1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

swapping the 16 in OEM with 17 inch alloy wheels to new Prius V.

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by Diwakar Krishnappa, Mar 12, 2023.

1. Diwakar Krishnappa

Diwakar Krishnappa New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I have regular Prius 2014 with 17 inch aftermarket alloy wheels, I recently bought 2016 Prius V which has 16 inch OEM wheels.
    Before selling 2014 Prius to a dealer I’m thinking of swapping the 17 inch alloy wheels to new Prius V.
    Do you think it’s a good idea.
    Any pros and cons with drop in mpg, stability etc.
    Please advise if you have any knowledge about this.

Attached Files:

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    For value, mpg and looks (the latter just personal opinion) I’d leave the 17” aftermarket on the car being traded in, retain the 16” OEM.

One thing: in the OEM pic, that is an alloy, not a wheel cover? I think it is....

FYI: Classic Silver Metallic (1F7) touch up paint is a perfect match, for curb rash. I find just using the colour, eschewing the clear coat, works best. The clear coat is an extra step, and in my experience lifts the colour coat, even with good cure time.

#2 Mendel Leisk, Mar 12, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2023
  3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    It used to be harder to find decent tire sizes in 16 imagine that's somewhat rectified by now unless you're stuck in only top of the line tires

4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If you previously have/had a regular Prius hatchback (not a Prius v wagon), and you purchased a Prius v wagon (not a regular Prius hatchback), then problem solved.

The two cars have different bolt patterns on their wheels. The regular Prius hatchback has a 5 x100mm bolt pattern, and the Prius v wagon has a 5 x 114.3mm bolt pattern on their wheels.

The wheels are incompatibile between the two vehicles, unless you use adapters, which can be unsafe and introduce unsprung weight.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

#4 xliderider, Mar 12, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2023
    Tim Jones, Mendel Leisk and Air_Boss like this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah end of discussion, lol. Missed that. Even if they would fit, Prius v is a heavier vehicle, same class as Camry, RAV4 I think: regular Prius rims would be overtaxed on Prius v.

xliderider likes this.
  6. GregC1979

GregC1979 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    If I may step in, the extra 260 lbs or so of the V wagon's weight over a standard hatchback isn't going to make a difference at all on the wheels (taking everything else out of the equation in a direct swap should the lug pattern and hub size be the same).

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yeah you definitely got to have your lug pattern known well I know that the 100 went to the 114.3 or whatever it is went to from 5x100 to 5x4 and a half or something like that I've had this trouble with European cars the Japanese wheels and back and forth all the time You got to have that in your offset reasonably well set up in your mind so you know what you can put what where adapters are not a thing wheels are too inexpensive now I just bought a whole set of steelies for I think they were $39 a pop for a Prius actually 17x7 steels. They're not made for the Prius but they'll bolt right up in the offsets correct and I need them so here they are and they work perfectly I have 205 50 17s on them they do a lot better than the 215 45s