1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Swapping tires between cars

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by IABoy987, May 14, 2020.

1. IABoy987

IABoy987 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Late last year I bought new tires for the 2011 Prius and next week will get our 2018 Prime! I would like to keep my new tires, so found out that places will charge $250+ to swap tires on the rims and balance/alignment so the rim's tire pressure sensors remain with their respective vehicles.

Could I just have a shop swap tires/rims sets between vehicles, or are the pressure senors married to that car computer and would require a trip to Toyota dealer to re-initialize sensors for each cars ($$$)?

I looked in my 2011 owners manual that tells of a tire re-initialization button somewhere under dashboard but I have not found it. Plus I assume that it would be looking for those particular transmitter ID codes rather than figuring out that these are newbies.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The button under the dash is only used to establish a new "base tire pressure", Say you decide you want to raise pressures 10 psi all 'round, and want the car to use this as a new starting point. It has nothing to do with detecting new sensors.

Are you basically mounting/balancing eight tires then? What's that typically, around $20 per? Say $160 in total? Maybe try a few different tire places. Be sure the balancing weights for the outside will be hidden weights too.

Maybe when they're not selling you tires they want to raise the price some? But yeah, try a few places. And be careful: a cutthroat low price might be for a reason, they might be cutting corners. Check reviews.

3. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So, do you own both 2011 and 2018? Like @Mendel Leisk said, 8 tires dismount and mount and balance would be anywhere from $15-$20/tire x 8 = $120-$160. Alignment, if the car needs it, is a different thing than swapping tires. And since you are keeping the respective rims with TPMS sensors to stay with the original car, there is no need for the TPMS reprogramming on this case.

OTOH, if you elect to just swap tire/rim set between 2011 and 2018, then that will require TPMS sensor reprogramming on both cars. However, most tire shops would do the reprogramming for free. You probably get charged for the cost of tire rotation for two cars, maybe $30-$40 total?

#3 Salamander_King, May 14, 2020
    Last edited: May 14, 2020
  4. Rob43

Rob43 Senior Member

VA, BMW Race Car, BMW R1200R, BMW 330Ci, Ford F350
    Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Assuming you have 195/65-15 size tires and not 17's, Cash Is King; meaning shop it around with the understanding that this is a cash deal*. I wouldn't pay an Indy Shop anymore than $150 for eight dis-mounts & mounts with new balancing.

Rob43

* Indy shop are hungry for revenue, start at ~$100 dollars.

5. pineprius

pineprius 15th Hole #4

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Make sure you check the width of the rims. 2011 are 6" and Prime 6 1/2" offset may be different too.