1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sway bar link - bolt size or known good parts?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by pmc, Oct 13, 2022.

1. pmc

pmc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    New member/first post here.
    I'm still driving my 2002 Prius.

A couple of months ago I replaced a bad sway bar link with a generic part. The part fit, but the bolts are smaller diameter than original, so they depend on clamping friction to stay in place vs shifting around in the hole. That was ok for a couple of months, but now there is a new noise which I think is one of the undersize bolts shifting when the link is loaded. I'll try re-tightening it, but I'd rather fix it for real.

I was going to order a pair of correct Toyota parts ... but they're $125 + $6 for nuts. Each side. :-/

So far my search efforts, including threads here, haven't turned up anything about Prius sway bar link bolt diameter being a thing that anyone has ever had any reason to talk about.

Can anyone recommend a known good source for sway bar links with bolts as big as the holes they're supposed to fit into?

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There are some threads with images of the links, and it looks as if even the originals had only flat flanges (and not, say, tapered seats like tie rod ends), which would make them very dependent on the flange clamping friction. Were the new ones accurately torqued to spec?

3. pmc

pmc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey thanks for prompt reply. I obviously haven't checked in a few days.
    Right about at the same hour as your post, someone stole the catalytic converter from the car, which has been the bigger problem. Toyota parts online lists the exhaust as "not available"; Olathe says the expected date for a part ordered today is 27 Dec. Extra sad because I had the pipe and actuator replaced just a couple of years ago.

The link ends were not accurately torqued. Re-torquing will be (was going to be) the first thing to try.

The original parts had larger studs that fit with normal close clearance of a bolt in a bolt hole, so they wouldn't move far if they shifted at all.

If the part is meant to hold purely by clamping force, then I suppose bolt diameter doesn't matter apart from adequate tensile strength.

This sounds like a sufficient answer unless proper torque fails to cure the noise.