1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sweet, been on the forum one day and got my first thread locked.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Anthony, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Anthony

Anthony New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm off to a running start. :rolleyes: I did read it all and found it to be pretty comical. I told the guys I work with I was on the prius chat board until 2 am and they all looked at each other and ran away. It was a fun day hearing all the jokes. I really do not care, I love the fuel mileage.

For the person who said all the big diesel trucks will be a thing of the past, not hardly. I kept my truck because putting 2 tons of manure on the roof of the Prius just will not work. Pulling my goose-neck trailer with a bobcat on it just will not happen with any car, let alone a Prius.

Trucks have their place, but commuting back and forth to a job site is not one of them.

:D

2. frogpond1

frogpond1 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I hear ya. Not quite the same but I use my Honda Element to haul video equipment. I'm actually having a hard time deciding on the Prius. While I like the Prius alot there is a lot to like with my E. The AWD here in NE is awsome, the stock stereo is actually good, no carpeting makes it a breeze to clean, the neoprene seats make for no mess easy clean. Oh but the mpg with the Prius and my long commutes...oh well decisions, decisions....

3. darkleafar

darkleafar Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    First of all, I wanna make sure it is clear I wasnt the one who said whatever whoever said about the big diesel trucks. Nevertheless, I wanna reply to that. I think what that person actually meant is the implementation of newer technologies in 18 wheelers which will gradually get rid of the diesel engine. Its already happening. See link below.
    Hybrid Engines Make it to 18-Wheelers - Hybrid - Gizmodo

4. Anthony

Anthony New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    In Europe diesels are the norm. People still think they stink and push out nasty black smoke. The older ones do, but new diesels from BMW and Mercedes Benz are more eco friendly than the gas motors. Can you imagine the fuel mileage of a diesel/hybrid? :mod:

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Eco-friendly in what way? In CO2? sure. In NOx or particulates? no (unless it has a closed loop system).

Overall (taking all emissions into account), they only match the minimum requirement for a gasoline car in the U.S. (ULEV-II or Tier 2 Bin 5). That being said, diesel is much preferred for the masses. It takes no brains to get decent mileage (which is what some people want. They don't want to think or figure anything out. They want the car to do it for them).

6. a64pilot

a64pilot Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Unfortunately Diesels don't like being shut down a lot, they are compression ignition engines and as such work much better when hot. Most also require longer to warm up than a spark ignition engine.
    I'm a fan of Diesels, have one in my C-3500 and get 18 mpg running empty. Like you I haven't found a car that can pull my JD 410 Backhoe.