1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Swimming with dolphins

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by daniel, Sep 9, 2007.

1. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    So I was researching the Bahamas, for a possible January get-away, after I saw a brochure for single-seat submarines (or underwater motorcycles). And then I saw swimming with wild dolphins. They don't operate in winter, as the water is colder then, so I have to decide if I want to go this month or next.

The problem is that I get seasick. I'd wear a scopolamine patch. But if it's rough it would still be hell. If it's relatively calm it sounds like it would be fantastic. A bit more new-age than I'd prefer, judging by the description, but still pretty cool. According to their description, they never chase the dolphins, they just wait for them to approach the boat. And if there are no dolphins around, they take you to a reef for some snorkeling.

Gotta decide if I want to risk the seasickness. I get motion sick on rocking chairs, porch swings, and even elevators.

2. PriuStorm

PriuStorm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'd imagine a tourist animal attraction like this, available to a large public, and advertised world wide could not rely on naturally appearing dolphins for the amusement of the paying humans involved. This would mean that they must be trained somehow, if not contained.

I seem to recall hearing some terrible stories about how these dolphins are acquired, pods hunted and broken up, etc. I truly hope this isn't the case for your excursion.

EDIT* to add links:

http://www.hsus.org/press_and_publications...e_dolphins.html

http://www.wspa-usa.org/pages/272_what_s_w...h_dolphins_.cfm

An excerpt:

Setting a bad example: Unfortunately, the commercial success of SWTD programs and the high profile of the larger facilities in the U.S. have spawned a legion of copycat operations in the Caribbean, Mexico, Latin America and around the world. These operations are the driving force behind a sharp rise in dolphin captures from the wild. Many of these new SWTD programs lack the necessary funds and staff to properly care for the dolphins.

Perhaps the most damaging aspect of the SWTD industry is the misconception it perpetuates among the general public. SWTD programs present themselves as "educational" and "eco-friendly". They market themselves to people who love dolphins, care about conservation and are looking for a tangible way to express this interest. What SWTD participants don't realize is that by patronizing these programs, they are not only contributing to this expanding, profit-driven industry, but they are ensuring that dolphins will continue to be captured from the wild and suffer in captivity.

Love dolphins? Don't buy a ticket! Untold numbers of dolphins die during the notoriously violent wild captures. These captures are carried out in secret - far from the public's eye - so obtaining an accurate number of dolphins killed is nearly impossible. What we do know is that of those dolphins that survive the capture and are brought into captivity, 53% will die within their first 3 months in a tank. Every seven years, half of all captive dolphins die due to the violence of their capture, intestinal disease, chlorine poisoning and stress-related illness. To the captivity industry, these numbers are accepted as standard operating expenses, but if this information was printed on SWTD brochures, it is unlikely that any person who cares about dolphins would purchase a ticket.

3. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriuStorm @ Sep 8 2007, 10:39 PM) [snapback]509406[/snapback]</div>
    I'm pretty sure daniel is talking about "wild" untrained dolphins hince the snorkling side trip if none come around.
    If their wild daniel do it! I can't imagine the thrill of being approached and making a connection with a wild dolphine! :D As far as the seasickness goes, as long as it doesn't go up and out through your nose it ain't so bad and well puking does have a certain cleansing effect! ;) Besides that after working on Sport Fishing boats, with numerous puking customers, I can assure you that the little fishies love it! Yum Yum!

Wildkow

4. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    PriuStorm:

As Kow suggested, these are not captive or trained dolphins. They take a small number of people out on the ocean in a single boat and cruise around until they spot dolphins. When they do, the people go in the water, and the dolphins come near because they are curious. Sometimes they do not, and the boat continues to cruise.

Kow:

I cannot puke. I think if I could I might get some relief. I have had agonizing pain after an operation, but severe (and I stress severe) seasickness is the worst thing I have ever experienced. If you don't get motion-sick you cannot imagine what it is like.

Mild seasickness is unpleasant, but I can tolerate it. On the Great Barrier Reef the sea was fairly calm, and I wore the patch, and I was always just a little bit sick, but not enough to spoil the experience. However, the side-effect of the patch is a dry throat, which with a whole patch can become as painful as a very bad sore throat; so I generally use only half a patch, which means only half the medicine.

I love the sea almost as much as I love the mountains of BC, so seasickness is a real curse.

I need to make a decision today, because the water is warmer this month than it will be next month, and I believe I would have to leave this Friday if I'm going to do it this month, as next week is the only week until October that they have a single room available.

5. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i got seasick on a boat trip in Key West at my best friend's getaway wedding. yes, puking off the side of a boat first thing in the morning is NOT fun... but it was fine once i actually got in the water myself for the snorkeling.

would i do it again? yes. and i imagine swimming with the dolphins, if it's one of the ethical organizations, would be so much cooler.

6. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I, too, don't advocate the support of any activities that involved human enjoyment derived from animal relocation, suffering, captivity etc. Your link seems a bit different to me as they are left in their natural habitat and remain free. I'd have to guess, however, that these dolphins are being trained by food dispersal as I don't see how they could rely on revenue if the dolphins never appeared.

Daniel, you already swam w/ dolphins. You've all the money in the world to engage in things you haven't tried. And if you are prone to getting sick, why bother? It's probable you won't even enjoy yourself. Anything else out there float your boat? :)

7. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

When I sail on blue water I use Mescalizine for sea sickness purchased without prescription at my local grocery (Safeway). No drowsiness like some other sea sick meds. I find on sailing trips if I take it for 3 days, by the fourth day I have my sea legs and don't need to be medicated.

8. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Sep 9 2007, 09:39 AM) [snapback]509506[/snapback]</div>
    Go.

This is how I think of it. This is a once in a lifetime experience. If you don't go now, will you ever go again? Or will you put it off and off until for one reason or another you can't go?

Not all outfits are disreptuable. Sounds like you found yourself a good one. Dolphins are naturally curious. If I was a Dolphin and I knew a boat of those funny, skinny dolphins with the things hanging off of their bodies were coming to this one spot every once and a while, I'd hang out there on the offchance they'd show up.

You've decided this is something you'd like to do. Why wait?

Go. Go now. (and take lots of pictures and tell us all about it when you come back.)

9. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    It will be a gamble from all aspects. Most worthwile things are anyway. On your side is that the Caribbean area is the calmest area you can find most of the time. If you took the risk for the Great Barrier Reef, then this seems like an easier decision.

10. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I suspect the "waiting for the dolphins" phase would have you in their boat, bobbing. That's worse for my friends with motion sickness than being under way.

Do you get motion sickness in the water, while snorkeling? If you could jump in the water and would be fine that way, it might help. I didn't look at the link, but if its a semi-rigid like a Zodiac boat, hanging onto the side of the boat while in the water might be better.

Dolphins are naturally curious, and having one pop up next to you in a wave is not uncommon. They will body surf alongside boogie boards and surfers, and I've had it happen a couple of times. Scares the devil out of you, though, because they seem so big when they are in the water next to you. Dolphins will approach humans, and have been known to assist drowning humans (its a natural behavior they use for dolphin-saving). Sailors will often find people who are lost overboard by the presence of dolphins (remember Elian Gonzales?)

11. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SSimon @ Sep 9 2007, 08:04 AM) [snapback]509519[/snapback]</div>
    They claim that they do not feed the dolphins. They claim the dolphins find their boat and approach because they are curious, and it's a game for the dolphins to swim with a boat, and/or with people. Dolphins can find boats easily by their sonar.

It's true I swam with (captive) dolphins. This is altogether different. (I had very mixed feelings about doing that. But in the end, nearly everything we do in a post-capitalist industrial society screws somebody or something. The meat industry, which I do not patronize, causes a million times more barbarous cruelty and outrage than captive dolphin programs.)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ Sep 9 2007, 08:30 AM) [snapback]509525[/snapback]</div>
    I think maybe you mean meclazine. I use it for mild motion. For bad motion scopolamine is much more effective, but has side effects. I have a supply, by prescription. Mescalizine sounds like a formulation that combines meclazine and mescaline, the active ingredient of peyote. :rolleyes:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ Sep 9 2007, 12:03 PM) [snapback]509650[/snapback]</div>
    I don't believe they "wait" for the dolphins. They cruise around. The boat is a catamaran, somewhat more stable than a single-hull boat.
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ Sep 9 2007, 12:03 PM) [snapback]509650[/snapback]</div>
    I have indeed gotten seasick in the water, but on those occasions I was not using scopolamine. On those occasions my time on/in the water was shorter, and I mis-judged that meclazine would be sufficient.

Right now I'm leaning towards going for it. I'm such a wimp that there are not all that many activities out there that appeal to me. Winter sports are too cold, and winter hiking locations are generally hard to get to and involve very rustic camping conditions. I expect to visit NZ again, but probably not within the next few years, due to the distance. I love swimming and snorkeling, and if it were not for the seasickness I'd spend as much time on the water as I do hiking.

12. PriuStorm

PriuStorm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    By all means, stick your head in the <strike>sand</strike> water and have a great time... post capitalization era and all. Of course you're right, whatever damage a potential little operation like the captive dolphin program you spoke of can compare in no way to the daily suffering and lives of livestock and other bred-for-food animals.

Ah, but if you don't end up going swimming, perhaps you could take an excursion to Yellowstone or Yosemite. They've got bears there and perhaps you can find a reputable operation to take you out into the woods so you can frolic with them. I hear they're very curious, and you can find those reputable operations that claim they never feed them, but bears are just naturally curious and want to be around humans.

:rolleyes:

13. samiam

samiam Antipodean Prius Poster

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriuStorm @ Sep 9 2007, 05:39 PM) [snapback]509406[/snapback]</div>
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SSimon @ Sep 10 2007, 03:04 AM) [snapback]509519[/snapback]</div>
    Nope. No feeding or captivity required.
    There are many places in the world where you can still count on seeing dolphins every day. There are several charters in the Bay of Islands in New Zealand where they take tourists out twice a day to swim with dolphins. They don't chase or feed dolphins and the number of charter operators is limited by licence. It is guaranteed in the sense that if you don't get a chance to swim with them (rough weather or whatever) you get a free ticket for the next day.

Daniel, if seasickness has you concerned, consider trying to come down to the Bay of Islands for your swim.
    The BOI is sheltered, very calm most days, and dolphins are typically nearby so there's no extensive boat time involved. As you know, the people are mostly harmless too. Yeah its a long way away, but we like it that way. (Ha)
    Just sleep on the flight.

Just a thought. B)

14. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriuStorm @ Sep 9 2007, 03:28 PM) [snapback]509729[/snapback]</div>
    I won't argue with you that the captive dolphin programs are bad for dolphins. But you are absolutely wrong about the wild dolphin programs. Wild dolphins often like to swim with people, making this sort of operation viable. In the Bahamas (unlike NZ) there are no guarantees. But the statistics are well in your favor.

I spent all summer hiking in grizzly bear country. You are mistaken, though: bears nearly always avoid humans if at all possible. I only saw one all summer. And unlike dolphins, bears do not like to frolic with people. They usually run away before you even know they're there. The exception is when you surprise a bear and it feels threatened. Bears are amazing animals. There is some risk in hiking in bear country. The greatest danger by far is the drive to get there.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(samiam @ Sep 9 2007, 03:30 PM) [snapback]509730[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the tip on Bay of Islands. As mentioned before, I expect to return to NZ. I loved it there. I was only on the South Island on that occasion. Fiordland was my favorite. The Hollyford trail, which I chose over the more famous Milford Trail because on the Hollyford there was only one day when we had to carry a full pack.

15. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Sep 9 2007, 02:49 PM) [snapback]509782[/snapback]</div>
    I've been around dolphins many times, from swimming/diving with them, having them lead the boat, water skiing with them, tubing by them, ect. They do tend to hang out in an certain area at certain times. There's usually always a large pod on the west side of Oahu at a certain secluded beach. There are charters that take people up there almost everyday. It's about a 20 min boat ride from the nearby harbor. You can also swim out from the beach with a bogey board and mask and fins if you're a good swimmer or kayak but that might make you seasick. Sometimes the dolphins are right up against the shoreline.

The boat will drop off a group of people in the water in front of the pod and the dolphins normally approach and swim underneath turning upside down to check out the people. Many times the boat will herd the pod back around. After a while the dolphins do get kinda tired/bored and just disappear. The dolphins are not fed by anyone and are totally wild. And to make it a bit more wild, a swimmer was bitten by a shark a few years ago while swimming with them on one of the charters. He survived and has a great story to tell. Even with the shark attack I think it's a very safe thing to do and still take my daughter and friends when she wants to go.
    http://starbulletin.com/2003/06/26/news/story8.html

I've seen dolphins playing with plastic grocery bags floating underwater. They poke there nose through the handle and carry it around for a while then let it go and another will do the same thing. Not that you should throw your bags in the ocean, but they did seem to be enjoying themselves.

Have fun.

16. PriuStorm

PriuStorm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Next time, instead of ' :rolleyes: ', I'll say 'Start Sarcasm' and then 'End Sarcasm'

Please don't believe that 'the dolphins are not fed by anyone'. I'm absolutely 100% sure someone does. People don't 'get it' that 'taming' animals with human food is a bad idea. Dolphins may indeed have some natural curiosity, but their repeated engagement with humans is because they get a reward, and that is undoubtedly food. Why do you think they lose interest with your boat that claims to have no food? Because they're not getting rewarded. They'll leave you and hit up the next boat of humans to see what they can get... just like pigeons in a park mooching off whoever looks like they have a bread sack. Didn't get any here? Go to the next human.

No way, no how can you convince me that interacting with any wild animals is a good idea. Your 'fun' and 'experience of a lifetime' will undoubtedly cost some of these animals their lives some day because you are teaching them that humans are acceptable to hang around. Then when they migrate to other waters and find those humans that do not share 'good values' and do not only want to just benignly swim with them (and I'm not agreeing that swimming with the dolphins is 'good' under any circumstance other than for scientific study under controlled and limited circumstances), they (the dolphins) will be easier to capture and put into 'one of those' programs that aren't ethical, those that exist in other countries so don't have any laws protecting the animals, etc. Thanks to your efforts at taming them. The illicit operations thank you for your efforts.

People in zoos, parks, national parks, botanical gardens (think koi), etc. etc. can not resist the temptation to feed the animals, toss a few bread crumbs in the water, toss some bread for the pigeons, tempt the animals behind bars in the zoo, etc..., no matter how many signs are posted 'PLEASE DO NOT FEED THE ANIMALS'. They think it's fun and cute and 'an experience of a lifetime' to experience the animal up close. It's disgusting and obscene, selfish and irresponsible, and it's the same whether your intentions of interaction with the animals are 'noble' (read: intend no direct physical harm.). Last time I was in Yosemite, I drove around a bend of the road to see a bear raiding a garbage can. The minivan in front of me stopped into the pullout as was also my plan (to get a closer look and take a picture). To my aghast shock, the lady in the passenger seat of the minivan opened the window, sat her baby on the window sill and tossed food at the bear to get its attention and come closer. Experience of a lifetime, sure. And next time when the bear attacks a human or approaches too close because he's been 'trained' that human=food, he'll get shot.

Please don't lull yourself into thinking this does no harm just because someone else has done it and thought the animals appeared to 'like' the interaction. They appear to 'like' being performance robots in too-tiny pools at SeaWorld, too, right? You want to have an experience with a beautiful, majestic and noble animal with big brown eyes and spiritual presence to take your breath away? Spend some time with horses... Don't contribute to the industry of taming nature's wild at the animals' expense... just because you don't see the consequences doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

17. samiam

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriuStorm @ Sep 10 2007, 03:34 PM) [snapback]509848[/snapback]</div>
    Its a shame you feel that way PriuStorm.
    It is against the law here in NZ (and in Aus too I believe) to feed dolphin. So we don't.

I've been watching them in the Bay for over 20 years, and their interaction with the "swim with" operators since they started. The dolphins aren't hanging about waiting to be fed at a lunch spot. The pods go in and out of the bay at various times of the day, sometimes the pods are interacting with one another, sometimes hunting, sometimes just playing. To even the casual observer its pretty apparent that they are socially adept & complex critters.

I can appreciate your sentiments in general, but I think you may be a little too cynical in the case of dolphins and people. You might want to check them out in person sometime (not at sea world) before you make up your mind "100% sure". B)

18. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    PriuStorm: I think you've got some real problems. Your refusal to believe that legitimate operators are not feeding the dolphins surprises me, and the venom with which you insist on it rather shocks me.

First you insist they are feeding the dolphins, and then you assert that if the dolphins do not remain forever with one boat it is because that boat is not feeding them. Well, if the operator I go with is not feeding them, then I am not contributing to the "taming" you insist is happening.

This seems to be a highly emotional issue with you. Are you just as hostile towards people who eat meat or wear leather?

And then you bowl me over at the end when you say it's okay to break horses so that people can sit on them!!! (An activity I do not participate in because I cannot imagine that the horse enjoys it. -- In contrast, if a totally-wild dolphin pod spends a half an hour swimming with me, even though I am offering no food, then I think it's doing it because they enjoy it.)

19. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriuStorm @ Sep 9 2007, 05:34 PM) [snapback]509848[/snapback]</div>
    The Makua dolphins I referred to are not fed by anyone, you are wrong. I'm a commercial fisherman/diver and have been going to Makua for the last 40 years. I've spent literally years of my life underwater. The dolphins that are there today pretty much act the same way as the ones that were there 40 years ago (before any tours existed).

What do you think they are being fed?

20. samiam

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    PS -- I keep coming back to Prius Chat, but I have yet to have anyone here feed me... :lol: