1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Swirl free washing process without a hose...described inside...

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by SW03ES, Sep 20, 2009.

1. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have read quite a few posts from people who want to wash their Prius and take good care of it without resorting to swirl-o-matic automatic carwashes but have no access to a hose at their home. I figured I would spend a little time detailing the process I use to wash my cars without a hose while minimizing the amount of marring I introduce into the finish.

Products you will need:

-1 nice 3+ gallon bucket
    -2-3 Microfiber wash pads (I prefer these to mitts and find the microfiber works well with the product I use) Micropak 4" x 6" "Big Kahuna" Ultra Micro Fiber Foam Applicator Pad
    -2-3 Waffle Weave Microfiber towels (best to dry with) MICROPAK 16" x 27" Waffle Weave Micro Fiber Towel
    -2-3 crummy terry towels for wheels
    Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine (ONR) Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine 32 oz
    -Turtle Wax Wax-as-U-dry (WAUD) (you can buy this at any car parts store)
    -Tire dressing (your choice)
    -Window cleaner (your choice)

First: Vacuum and clean the interior. I always do this first so that I don't drag dust onto the freshly washed paint.

Second: Fill the bucket and mix in the ONR. I usually fill my 3 gallon bucket up to about 4 inches from the top and mix in 4 capfuls of ONR. Take your MF wash pad and swirl it around the solution.

Third: Wash the body of the vehicle. Always wash in straight lines, use very little pressure on the pad. Always wash from the toip down, so wash the roof, the greenhouse all the way around, the hood and front end, the top of the hatch and the rear, then each side working from front to back. Use one side of the MF wash pad, then use the other side to go over the same panel again to make sure its clean. Remember, straight lines and very little pressure. Rinse the pad often. After you have cleaned each panel, spritz it with the WAUD and dry it with the MF towel, I fold it into 1/4s and use one side for the preliminary wipedown, and one side to polish everything up. The WAUD will boost your wax (its not a replacement for waxing) and will help prevent any swirling or scratching while drying).

Fourth: Wash the wheels and wheel wells. Its important to do this last, and its important to use a washpad for this that you will never use for the paint. I use one side of the pad for the tires and the wheel wells and one for the wheel surface. Use your terry towels to dry off the tire and wheel, and apply whatever tire dressing you like.

Fifth: Clean the windows inside and out with your favorite glass cleaner, the waffle weave towels work well for cleaning glass.

You're done! I've gotten to where I can clean the interior and wash a car within 30 minutes. It works very well, all the materials will fit in the bucket for storage, and its a great option for people who don't have...or can't or don't like to use a hose. It leaves very little mess...so you can do it in the garage if you like during the winter.

Every so often you may want to stop by a coin-op spray place and flush out the undercarriage well, but the ONR can handle VERY dirty cars safely, including road salt. Just use common sense...if there are large particles of mud or salt caked to the car...it needs to be rinsed off before washing with ONR.

Remember that the better you maintain your car...the easier it is to clean each time. The better wax or sealant layer the better the ONR works. I wash my vehicles weekly and they stay in very good shape with minimal effort. 30 minutes per car per week is all it takes to keep them showroom new.

Enjoy! Feel free to post questions...

2 people like this.
  2. MikeDS

MikeDS Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    +1 for ONR. Starting using it when I got my Prius and its great stuff. No swirls on my car and it looks great. ONR is also great for cleaning windshield, mirrors, etc. I use the Optimum spray wax too, which looks really nice.

3. cpatch

cpatch New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Another +1 for ONR, although I don't have it down to 30 minutes yet!

4. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    is there something wrong with using the hose? Maybe in the winter, but during the winter there is soooo much grime on the cars, that it needs the water blast to knock off the heavy stuff.

5. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Nothing wrong with a hose...but not everybody has a hose to use. You can do this in an apartment parking space...or an underground garage.

You can use ONR when the car is pretty dirty, but like I said you have to use common sense. When its caked on you should stop by a coin-op and spray it off first.

6. MikeDS

MikeDS Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Using ONR saves a LOT of water too...I'm sure many don't care, but it is a benefit. Some also think paint can be damaged by high pressure water, particularly if the water isn't super clean. Hoses can accumulate sediment and then force it out onto the car. Many also like to use ONR in the garage, particularly in the winter...

7. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I use it in the garage. With practice you can wash a whole car without spilling a drop on the garage floor...

8. Jayhawker

Jayhawker New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A