1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Switch to fit in the dash of a 08

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by The Phoenix, Sep 9, 2017.

1. The Phoenix

The Phoenix Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I am looking to ad an aftermarket light bar to my 08 Prius. The problem I am having is finding a switch that will easily fit into one of the cutouts in the dash. When I put in the aftermarket fog lights I bought a switch that kinda fit but I had to hack a bunch of the existing hole apart. I will include a picture of that. I DO NOT want to do that again so I'm asking if anyone out there knows of a switch that fits or has any good ideas. Thank you. The picture is not uploading sorry

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    dealer should have something. I bought one for my 4 runner once for about $10. Perfect fit

3. The Phoenix

The Phoenix Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I've already called a dealer...the didn't have squat I will try again :unsure:

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You have a Gen 2. If the switch cutouts are the same dimensions as Gen 1, you can use any of the very standard Carling Contura line. You can find a good selection at rockerswitchpros and you can even supply your own symbol/wording to light up on the switch. (Typically you'll want to locate your wording on the bottom of the switch face, and wire the bottom LED to the instrument panel dimmer, then use the top LED with a simple rectangle symbol on the switch face to light up when your circuit is on.) For fog lights, they probably already have a stock wording and layout you can order.

If they are, instead, the same dimensions as Gen 3, rockerswitchpros do not carry that size. You can find those at aironboard, but you have to pick one of their stock designs, they won't custom engrave one you send. They do have a lot of stock layouts, but half of them are goofy.

-Chap

5. The Phoenix

The Phoenix Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Thank you Chap....I remember your username from years ago when I had my Gen 1. I was impatient and ordered a generic switch and was ready to cut out the hole bigger. I will look into the two places you recommended. Is there any easy quick and dirty way to check if the openings are the same as the Gen 1 or Gen 3 and will the sites tell me? Thank you very much for the information

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    unexpected database error.

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    somewhat familiar database error.

8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well, I've got a Carling Contura sitting here that I took out of my late, lamented Gen 1, and the part that goes through the hole seems to be about 21 mm wide by 38 to 40 mm tall (hard to measure exactly when the top and bottom ends have the squishy bits that hold it in place).

How big are your dash cutouts?

The switches for the Gen 3 are smaller/not as tall as the Contura, I think they are more like 32 mm tall. You might be able to find pics of both on line, maybe dimensions even, and be able to make the call.

-Chap

9. The Phoenix

The Phoenix Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I don't have the right measuring equipment with me right now I think I will try to get some kind of measurement tonight I also got my other switch today and at least I know the dimensions of that and I will see how big it is compared to the cut out hole. With the amount of Prius's on the road I can't believe this is so difficult

10. The Phoenix

The Phoenix Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Thank you for all your assistance Chap but I don't have the correct measuring tools like a caliper to really measure the opening accurately. So I stuck with the one I ordered and hacked up my dash a little more but the switch will cover that up and than if I need another switch to replace it I can use a more standard size. I'm sure if I had the correct measuring tools and I wasn't so impatient I'm sure one of your recommendations would have fit well

11. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The last image of a Gen 2 dash I saw made it look like they might be the same as Gen 3. I'd be surprised if they didn't match either Gen 1 or Gen 3.

I'm sorry measuring the dimensions scared you off ... the difference between the switches seems a good 8 to 10 mm in the height direction, so it shouldn't take a fancy caliper to tell them apart.

-Chap