1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

switch to scion

Discussion in 'Order Tracking' started by markg241, Jul 21, 2004.

1. markg241

markg241 New Member

[font=Arial:18abf0a030] [/font:18abf0a030] [align=left]
    I have been on the prius waiting list since february, asking for #9 in any color but white. I am currently #23 on their list, dealer allocation is 2/month.
    I received a letter from my toyota dealer letting me know that they would be contacting me about arranging a test drive for the newest scion. Are they trying to discourage me from the prius or trying to sell scion's?

thanks
    mark g.

2. bookrats

bookrats New Member

They know they can find more Prius customers, and that it will take a long time to fill Prius orders.

However they can sell you a new Scion -- and get $$ -- right now. And someone will certainly take your Prius slot.

That said, I like the looks of some of the Scions; the reviews have been mixed. However, they're definitely not Priuses, and they don't have the things I want from a Prius (cool technology, clean air, and great MPG).

3. bparrish

bparrish Junior Member

I agree with bookrats... dealers make their bread by moving iron, and the faster they can move it, the more they make... and anything sitting on the lot (or even in transit) is costing them (probably interest, and decreasing in value as the year advances).

I think you may need to allow for the whole thing being a 'bookkeeping error' as well. (like the file got accidentally dropped into the 'scion' pile rather than the 'prius' pile)

If the next paycheck were going up-or-down based on what you can sell this week versus ~maybe~ (or even ~probably~) in a couple of months, it seems rational to try to steer customers towards what is in stock, or likely to be in stock soon.

I have a PROBLEM with someone saying they will do one thing, and then doing another, but emphasizing what's on the lot or whatever - that should be expected behavior. (Although if someone were too pushy, I might go away and come back later and talk to someone else - pushy is 'uncomfortable', but not 'unethical').

4. Dianne

Dianne New Member

I have had a few folks in line for a while, and a few for a hellatiously long time now... thankful that allocations are looking up. A lot of folks have done the math and decided that the gas mileage issue is their #1 reason for doing Prius. Now, that said, there are plenty of cars that would replace the Prius for great mileage savings (when you factor in the cost and premium for the hybrid etc)... the Scion xA is sometimes is the logical choice for folks who wish for all of the power extras, the am-fm CD, ABS, and optional side airbags, and it's a smooth little 5-dr hatchback with plenty going for it. I realize it's smaller but it's amazingly roomy inside.

An xA with side impact airbags, mats set, and the rest of the standard features is $14565. That's close enough to 10,000 LESS than Prius when you factor in the tax/license diff ... and if your major motivation for Prius is gas savings, the xA may be a logical choice for a car in a hurry. Even one with no side airbags (easier to come by!) is under $14000!

Go to carsonscion.com and check out my inventory --- especially if you need side airbags... we get a few down here.

Anyway, I handle both Toyota and Scion.
    Thought I might point out why you may have heard about that car, being on the Prius list. It's a good 2nd choice, and a $$$$ saver too.

Dianne

5. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
  6. bruceha_2000

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    OK Dianne, I browsed through the site and now I have a question.

When is Toyota going to start shipping the Estima to the U.S. ??? Seems PERFECT for me, "smaller than a Sienna", i.e., about the same size as my '95 Odyssey :)

Too bad they still have the shifter that looks like the 2001-2003 Prius.
    And what is that thing sticking out of the steering column, a ... key?

7. bruceha_2000

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Then again, maybe not! Found this site
    Price is US 38,500 FOB - JAPAN! Another $900 to ship it here. And RHD at that, would make driving an 'experience'.
    Another page
    And
    Another, with styling changes
    This is a YEAR old! Where have they been hiding this thing, it was in Japan with 2004 Prius tech getting styling changes before the first 2004 Prius hit our shores!