1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Switch to Summer Gas Early in the PNW?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by hdrygas, Feb 27, 2006.

1. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I am now on a second tank and had a big jump in MPG. It is identical to the shift I saw last year from winter to summer gas, but it is just February? As far as I know we get our gas from the refinery up near Anacortes WA. I had a tank at 55.25 despite some record breaking cold weather That is 4 mpg better than the prior tank in warmer weather. Also included 120+ miles on the freeway that pulled it down. The MFD consumption screen had been at 57.1 before the freeway drive. I am now 120 miles in to the next tank and am at 58.3 on the MFD. I have not seen these numbers since October when we switched to winter gas. Nice for me and my LTA but we are bound to have more cold weather and temperature inversions before the spring and summer and I am not sure that having everyone running around with summer formula gas is a good idea. BTW I get my gas at the same Union 76 station. Just seems early. Several PC have similar experence.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not sure. My last tank was one of the best (incl. last summer's) but the last two tanks before that were pretty bad and this one's shaping up to be on the "low" side too. When did you refuel?

3. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    11, 18 and 24th

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Mine's 5th, 15th and 24th with the 15-24 tank the best and the 5-15 tank, the worst.

I'll update when this tank is done.

5. oly_57mpg

oly_57mpg New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I too am on my second tank of gas for this month and I am experiencing 'summer' mileage.

A trip from the 76 station at Pacific and Boulevard to Crystal mountain averaged 52 MPG. First tank. Sweet.

General driving up and down I-5 through Nisqually basin has averaged 53.7 MPG.

I don't mind the switch to summer gas!