1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Switched Cell Phones - Won't Connect

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by rohlrogge, May 8, 2006.

1. rohlrogge

rohlrogge Rich

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Oh well, here we go again. I just switched cell phones (from Motorola 710 to Treo 700) and after deleting the 710 entry on the Prius and then attempting to connect to the 700, entering passkey which agrees with requested passkey on Prius, they will not connect. What I notice is that the Settings screen on the Prius, even after deleting the 710, still shows the Bluetooth address of the old phone. This screen allows me to edit the name of the connection (which currently agrees with the name picked up by the cell phone) and the passkey which agrees with the passkey being entered on the cell phone however there is no CHANGE key available to edit the Bluetooth address. Anybody run into this??

2. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    As an IT guy, I'll ask this question first: did you "reboot" after removing the old connection? Try turning the system off and then back on again before attempting to add the new phone. See if that does anything.

Also, there are likely a lot of related questions in the Audio and Electronics forum on this website. Might check there, too, if you haven't already.

3. rohlrogge

rohlrogge Rich

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'm an IT guy also and I did the reboot thing and others that you would instinctively do. The oddity here is that there was one point where it appears that I was able to register the new cell phone because it did end up in the settings in the Prius as an entry but it never acknowledged the connection. That's when I decided to remove all settings and start from scratch but I'm still confused by the lingering setting which I know is related to the old cell phone (same bluetooth address). This may be meaningless and I'll try it again this weekend but this whole bluetooth linking process appears to be very unpredictable in its behavior.

Thnaks for the feedback and I'll look throught the other group but I'm not sure I'll find an answer to my specific problem.

4. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yeah, I can't say I've experienced that, but then again, I've only owned one bluetooth phone. You would think it might be a software quirk in the car's software, but why it only happens in this particular instance...

5. rohlrogge

rohlrogge Rich

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Just for the record I was finally successful at getting the Treo 700 linked to the Prius. I'm not sure I could repeat the process in the exact same sequence but the trick, which I picked up from a chat group for the Treo, is that you have to make a phone call from the cell phone as soon as the Prius acknowledges the registration of the Treo and it shows when you touch the Select button in the Phone Settings screen. Once I did that everything clicked in and now we are back to normal.

Not scientific but at least it works!!