1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Switched Oil from 5W30 to 0W20 after 193 miles, watching mileage.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by CrazyLee, Dec 22, 2014.

1. CrazyLee

CrazyLee Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    On the 4th of Dec 2014 I changed my oil @ 150484 miles. i used Pennzoil Platinum. It was a normal 5089 mile run. used a Fram TG4749 oil filter.

Later on I was reading in PC and the posts suggested running 0W20 synthetic oil. So I bought a 5 qt bottle of 0W20 oil. I didn't change the filter. My fuel mileage is down to 32 to 34 mpg in cold weather. Today on an engine warmup run I read 40 mpg @ 68 mph on flat ground, GPS reading, no wind, 35 degrees out. That gives me a base to see if the new oil will actually be better for the mileage.
    I used Pennzoil Platinum again. New miles 150677 on Dec 22 2014

I checked the color of the used oil and it was just lightly darker than new. I poured the used oil back into the 5 quart bottle. The next oil change will be with this oil when it gets warmer outside.
    I'll keep you posted as to the results.

Should I continue to run 5K miles on the oil or go to 15,000 ? The Valvoline 5W30 synthetic I used before was very dark at 5K miles. I checked the price between 4 quarts and a 5 qt bottle, the big bottle win every time.
    That way I get top up oil for later at no cost.

My Fuelly.com ID for my 2004 Prius is Eclectic Electric. http:// Fuelly - Track and Compare your MPG eclectic electric

I haven't figured out how to tie the ID to PC yet.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    One thing, if you want to avoid filter change but want to get all the oil out, you can just spin it off, drain and re-install.

3. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    To add the fuely icon, go the signature page:

Capture.JPG

Then click on the editing button:

Capture-01.JPG

Get the code from Fuelly, and paste it in. Mine looks like this:

Capture-02.JPG

4. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    But ALL of that likely is just an exercise in futility.
    The practical difference between a 0W and a 5W is usually undetectable.

5. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'd keep to 10,000 miles for the interval.

So you're going to pour your recently used oil back in next Spring?

6. CrazyLee

CrazyLee Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Egads, there is less than a cup of oil in it! Not worth getting my arm oily.

7. CrazyLee

CrazyLee Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Easy Rider 2, I think you may be right. But you know how sensitive these car really are, you need to see just how much difference there is. Once warmed up I find I can get 50mph on the MFD but the warmup kills much of the mileage.

CSS28, I'll try for 10K and note how dark the oil gets along the way.

Yeah, I'll dump the oil back in. I don't think that it is contaminated. it will get a new filter for sure.

At least I know that the engine is clean inside.

8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah I don't mean now, just any time you're doing an oil change without a filter change. Remove and reinstall of the filter will leave you with cleaner oil, after the change.

9. CrazyLee

CrazyLee Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  10. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you switched to a 0w-20 synthetic on your 2004, you should monitor it for oil usage. Whatever amount it was using before, it'll only increase as you go with the 0w-20 grade. Make sure you don't run low on oil.

When I switched my 2008 one time from 5w-30 to 0w-20 oil, I noticed my engine using a lot more oil. It has improved slightly now that I have moved back to 5w-30 and using Pennzoil instead of Mobil 1.

11. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I can't be 100% sure I understand what you've done, but if it is correct that you changed to 0W20 @ 150,484 and then changed back to 5W30 @ 150,677, then running the 0W20 for 193 miles is not going to reveal any MPG change of statistical significance.

Run the 0W20 for a whole 10,000 mi cycle and review your Fuelly records comparing all the tanks using 0W20 with the same number of tanks prior--even better compare the same time period in the previous year*, if your records extend that far back.

*[Edit] I see you purchased your Prius on 29 June 14, so not an option.

#11 dolj, Dec 23, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2014
  12. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Click on the car in your garage for which you want share (Eclectic Electric), scroll down the page until you see "Share your MPG" in the right side-bar then click on the "View All Badges and Stuff You Can Share" link. From here you can scroll down until you see the information for the Small Banner. Copy/paste the BBCode from the box to your PriusChat signature.

hope this helps.

#12 dolj, Dec 23, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2014
  13. CrazyLee

CrazyLee Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    When I bought the Prius it only took several weeks for the maint req lite came on. I drained some very black oil, not knowing the type. I then put Valvoline 5W30 Syn into the car. At the 5K oil change I switched to Pennzoil Syn Platinum. Later I read that 0W20 was better for winter. So I changed to that.

Yesterday was 1st day out, but warm, 40 degrees. The Prius seemed to run a lot better, increasing in mileage to 35.7 mpg.I don't remember what I started with though. Most of the driving was local with 4 people inside. Local ministry work with many stops, leaving the IG on. Even then I was saving fuel. So I hope this means that 0W20 works better. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks Doji for the tips.

14. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That's really not going to be much use to you. What dolj said, you'll need to carefully log your fuel consumption over a whole oil change interval at least to have much chance of truly detecting any real changes.
    Changing your oil after less than 200 miles sounds like a big waste of time and effort to me. Also it's difficult to drain the oil without getting some contamination, so I don't think you're doing your engine any favours either. It seems like you're trying really hard to live up to that "crazy" moniker.

With your current mileage I think you should be more concerned about what is going to best protect your engine rather than worrying about tiny differences in fuel economy that different oils may give.

15. Easy Rider 2

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Unless maybe it was a USED car with unknown maintenance history !! :whistle:

16. CrazyLee

CrazyLee Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Unless maybe it was a USED car with unknown maintenance history !! :whistle:
    It was a used car, but this my 3rd oil change. I'm experimenting right now.

Read more: Switched Oil from 5W30 to 0W20 after 193 miles, watching mileage. | PriusChat
    Follow us: @PriusChat on Twitter | PriusChat on Facebook

It has been too short of a time to really see if it helps my mileage but I think it will. The indication seems that the engine is running more freely now, and time will tell if it really is getting better fuel economy. I'm off on a trip soon so I will get a good long distance run. The actual saving will be on the shorter runs when the engine is cold and needs the thinner oil. That appears to be the case for me right now.

17. CrazyLee

CrazyLee Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just checked my oil and miles on the 04 Prius tonight. The miles is 155113 and the oil level is where it was when I changed it. I find that amazing, it hasn't used any oil. The color is about perfect too, and just starting to darken a bit. It is about 5K miles on the oil. The Valvoline got much darker before. The engine runs better from cold start, but runs the same when warm. I think that 10K is reasonable now before I change it back to 5W30, new filter though. I am glad the engine does not use oil, and it seems that it is running cleaner, or maybe I just flushed all the crap out of it.

Cheers, Lee
    I I

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats, great info!(y)

19. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Interesting... I tried the same experiment in my 2007 last winter. I found no difference in mpg's and a slight increase in oil consumption. After using the 0w-20, I switched to castrol edge 5w-30 and never had an oil consumption problem again. I dont think the 0w-20 oil is going to give you the rainbows and unicorns you might be expecting.

20. Easy Rider 2

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    The color of engine oil from one brand to another tells you NOTHING.
    It usually is an additive or two that causes the change in color and not the base oil itself.