1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Switched Reluctance Motors

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by bwilson4web, Jun 19, 2023.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    A basic educational video, it explains something I'd read about but not understood:

• High torque at low rpm - very nice for getting off the line. But at higher rpm, PM motors can generate significant reverse voltage limiting the current.
    • Low reverse EMF at high rpm - the rotor field magnetic fields become an inductive motor by effectively cancelling some of the PM fields.
    The correct term is "Internal Permanent Magnet Synchronous Reluctance Motor." I knew Toyota had them in their transaxles but did not understand the physics.

Bob Wilson

ammdb likes this.
  2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Did you post this video once before? I had this strong sense of déjà vu watching it.

Prius magnets got moved into that V-groove shape between Gen 1 and Gen 2, so they've been doing that since 2004, but the New Car Features manual said rather little about the explanation.

Toyota didn't call either of the MGs a "switched reluctance" design, though they do use that term for the little motor that moves the parking pawl.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I don’t remember posting before as I found the information new.

I had read the DoE tear down reports on the Prius motors and they had cited ‘field weakening’ without explaining how it worked.

Bob Wilson

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV