1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Switching to HV mode should stop the "miles remaining in EV mode" from decreasing, right?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by baggiemama, Jul 11, 2013.

1. baggiemama

baggiemama New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    So...I am a newbie. I am loving my 2013 piP, and have learned incredible amounts from this forum. Whoever is in charge of it, THANK YOU! I am confused about something, and hope you can help me out. Here is my situation:
    We live at the top of a steep one mile hill. By reading through other posts, I now understand WHY my gas engine kicks in while cruising downhill, even though I am driving very conservatively and have a full EV charge. That is not my question....

I'm getting to it, I promise. When I purchased the car, the salesperson mentioned that some people like to save their electric charge until the middle or end of their trip, if they know they have a lot of highway miles at the beginning. I have been experimenting with leaving my house with a full charge, and switching it into HV mode. What I don't understand is why the "miles left to drive on EV mode" (sorry, I don't have a handle on ALL of the acronyms yet) go down consistently when I drive in HV mode (conservative driving, eco mode, no fan, no a/c, 75 degrees outside, flat to mild uphill road). I am wondering if it is possible at all to "save" the EV charge until later in a trip, or is this just misinformation given to me?

Any thoughts will be appreciated. I will work through any acronyms you send my way....slowly but surely...

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    When you switch to HV mode there is still a delay before it stops using EV range, it performs a warm up basically, and during this warm up it will continue to eat up EV range for a bit. But once out of 'warm up' it should slowly begin to replenish the lost EV range, maybe falling short .1 or .2 miles of where it was when you did the switchover.

If you do the switchover right before accelerating onto an on ramp or going up a hill for example it will use more range more quickly.

baggiemama, SJ PiP and CaliforniaBear like this.
  3. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I agree with this in general, but whether it replenishes the EV range or not is quite dependent on how you are driving the car and the terrain, etc. It may or may not actually try and regain all those miles, IMO. In general, acting like a normal Prius, it "tends" to try and maintain the battery at that point...but I've found (sometimes) that you can use up 1-2 EV miles during the warmup and never get them back...and other times you get back more than you started with.

Mike

baggiemama likes this.
  4. CaliforniaBear

CaliforniaBear Clearwater Blue Metallic

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I recently went on a 240 mile trip from the Sacramento Valley to a lake in the Sierra Nevada Mountains. I didn't record the data but it went something like this. Start with a full charge EV miles reads 12. Use about 4 EV miles getting to the highway. Then HV at 55mph for 70 miles keeping about 8 EV miles, use another 2 EV saved miles in a town before starting up the hill. Arrive at the lake, at that point the HSI reads 50mpg. Use most of the 6 EV saved miles on side trips and starting back home. Down the hill back to the valley I got a full charge to 12 EV miles (85% SOC), used almost all of the EV miles in flatland towns and returning home from the highway using HV on the highway to save the EV miles. So with 2 full charges, one from the power line and one from regeneration the result was 63 mpg for the trip. Of course you have to decrease that by the "energy cost" of the original charge and the fact the HSI mpg is usually about 2 mpg high.

My experience from similar trips in a Prius Three resulted in about 56 mpg on the HSI. So the initial charge and large regeneration capacity of the Plug-in Prius are a real help even for long trips.

baggiemama likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    my car doesn't make up the lost ev miles. today i left with 16 ev miles. immediately put it into hv and drove off. it dropped to 13 and stayed there over the next 30 miles.

6. ukr2

ukr2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I drive 14.6 miles and therefore always use some Gas.
    Going to work I drive a very level road for 3 miles and driving home I drive a 65 mph highway for 3 miles.
    I press button to HV during these stretches and I regain any battery used during warmup before the end of the stretch. I then switch back to EV and finally run out of battery just before getting to my destination.

If you press the button to switch to HV, and drive for 3 miles, the PIP will regain Battery used during warmup.
    If you instead shift from EV to HV because of over 62 mph or going into Power Zone, you will use Battery during warmup and NOT get it back. That's the difference between using the EV to HV button or staying in EV and shifting to HV mode.

SAronian and baggiemama like this.
  7. baggiemama

baggiemama New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thank you, everybody, for such prompt feedback. Tomorrow, the experimentation begins anew. I hope to see some miles regained after cruising in HV for a while. If not, I'm still thrilled with the car. It might be the only PIP with purple leather seats...

8. Astolat

Astolat Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm also still having trouble replicating what others say here, and I'm not sure whether it is a) something to do with my driving, b) a difference between the US and UK models, like the lower speed we switch out of EV mode, or c) just that I am misunderstanding what is being said?

When the rest of you are talking about EV miles left not reducing, are you assuming a particular minimum speed? If I switch to HV (press the button so the little EV lamp goes out), all that it seems to do is to reduce the speed at which the car switches over to using EV mileage - about 48mph nominal as opposed to 58. But if I drive at say a steady 40mph, my EV mileage remaining steadily drops, and keeps dropping the further I drive. It may recover sometimes when the ICE comes on. Is that what happens to others?

9. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Prius PHV is a plug-in hybrid. That means the engine shut off when it isn't needed.

While in EV mode, you are telling the system to draw as much electricity from the battery-pack as possible. While in HV mode, you are telling the system to draw less. Switching modes changes tolerances, it doesn't prevent.

As some have pointed out, even while in HV mode, estimated EV range will slowly drop. The system is seeking out efficiency opportunities and taken advantage of them when they are found. That's what is suppose to happen.

This is why there is still an "EV" symbol even while in HV mode. When it illuminates, that informs you some capacity which would otherwise be used for EV is being consumed. Technically, that actually is EV mode, since the engine isn't running. To avoid confusion, as it is a feature of HV mode available in both the plug-in and regular models of Prius, those of us wanting to keep things straight call that STEALTH mode.

baggiemama and Astolat like this.
  10. Astolat

Astolat Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Ah, got it, sorry for being obtuse. Also explains why Bonefish Blues and I felt we couldn't replicate stealth mode; the European parameters look as if they are set differently to the US version, and stealth mode cuts in at a much lower speed (one that it is difficult to keep to on a motorway).

I don't suppose anyone knows what the North American model is supposed to produce as grammes of CO2 per mile or kilometre traveled? I did try to find a spec sheet with it but couldn't. Since that is an important measurement in Europe (including the UK) my working hypothesis is that they tweaked the car to get us below 50 (the European model is 49 ...).

11. CaliforniaBear

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    In a number of long trips I find I can "save" most (but not all) of the EV miles when I switch into the HV mode. As an example if I switch into HV when the EV miles are 7 it will drop to 6 and pretty much stay between 6 and 6.5 for many miles. As an example on a recent trip I "saved" 8 EV miles for use 70 miles later.

There is, however, a catch. If the SOC is above 75% (perhaps represented by 12 EV miles) and you switch from EV to HV the car will use the battery charge to get down to SOC of 75% (or a little less) and you will lose those 2 miles (12 down to 10 EV miles) that you wanted to save.

12. rockerdan

rockerdan PiP Rocks!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

Yes it will not give you back a "full" battery in HV mode, you must use enough EV to get down to approx 70-75% SOC. I have experimented with this many times.

I leave house with 14.7 EV miles, I start in EV and let it run down to approx 11.5 EV remaining, at this point if I switch to HV mode, the EV miles will tick off another couple miles, but once warmup is done HV mode will recover or give me back all those EV miles back to 11.5 or darn close within .1

Now if i do exact same trip, but push HV right off the bat at 14.7 EV. It will tick off a couple miles for warmup, but NEVER recover back to 14.7.

So the key here is to let EV miles drop to approx 75% SOC.

Dan

baggiemama likes this.
  13. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Since "full" is 85%, that isn't big deal.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    okay, but that is not the situation i described or o/p asked about.

15. bilofsky

bilofsky Privolting Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Chevy Volt
    Another thing to keep in mind is that when EV miles drop and are replenished in HV mode, it's not 100% efficient.

Granted that the PiP is probably smart about the most efficient time to skim off some power to store in the battery. But there has been some discussion that the best overall strategy might be to go into HV mode, wait until the EV miles have bottomed out, then go briefly to EV and back to HV to clear the "debt".

16. CaliforniaBear

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I believe that is the wrong way around. When you go into EV then HV you set that as the new HV working average point. That makes the "bottomed out" lower number of EV miles the HV working average.

It is the opposite of "stacking" where you go into EV when you can regenerate then back to HV to save the higher EV miles as HV working average point.

17. bilofsky

Vehicle:
    2014 Chevy Volt
    Yes. What I was suggesting was that it might be more fuel efficient to accept the new lower HV working average, rather than encouraging the ICE to burn more gas to bring the EV miles back up, and then using those EV miles to move the car.
    But wouldn't you only do that when you were going downhill and using the wheels to (re)generate power, not the ICE?

18. CaliforniaBear

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes! Using the ICE to charge the battery is not efficient, regeneration going downhill is wonderful.

19. bilofsky

Vehicle:
    2014 Chevy Volt
    Then when I said
    what was wrong with that, since we agree that having the engine owe the battery EV miles is inefficient?

3PriusMike likes this.
  20. PlugInPriusNH

PlugInPriusNH Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Is there a benefit to 'conserving' your EV miles other than for 'scoreboarding' your higher EV mileage? I mean if I know on a 70 mile trip I'm going to use ALL my EV miles. Does it matter if I use 'em on the highway or slower side roads? Will my MPG be the same at the end?