1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

(!) symbol on dashboard?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by exhuman, Sep 18, 2006.

1. exhuman

exhuman Member

My friend has a 2006 Prius and she started getting this symbol on her dashboard today. The symbol looks like this (!) It stays lit as long as the car is powered on. I'm trying to attach a picture of it.

I don't find it in my 2005 Prius manual. Maybe it has changed since 2005 or maybe I not so good at navigating the manual.

Thanks for any ideas.

Attached Files:

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I have an '04 but to me it looks like a tire with the exclimation point.

I'm guessing Low Tire Sensor. Take a pressure gauge and check them all.

3. rfred

rfred New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

It's the tire pressure indicator. Check the tire pressure on each wheel; if they're within specs the reset button is under the steering wheel.

Richard

4. exhuman

exhuman Member

Yep! Tire pressure was it. Now that I now that, the picture looks like a tire.

Thanks for the help.

5. fphinney

fphinney Member

WOW - this subject (topic) was presented, discussed & solved in just a few posts!

Don't we wish that most all other problems could be solved this easily?

6. mtsarpilot

mtsarpilot Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fphinney @ Sep 19 2006, 12:08 AM) [snapback]321525[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, it is nice to have the capabilities this forum to answer hard question quickly. But let's also be realistic ... This question would have been answered even faster, in about 30 seconds, by simply looking in the owners manual on the page that shows the icons and explains what they mean.

There is a reason Toyota prints that thing besides simply consuming space in the glovebox.

7. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Since I have an '04, I don't have the 2006 manual. For those who stumble upon this thread in the future, on which page is the "low tire" icon presented? This way, they can look it up themselves and put a sticky on it if they want.

8. iaowings

iaowings New Member

Well I like the fact that the info in the question was clear and concise and a piture of it was presented as well.

Better than. a light cam on and I don’t know what it means can you help?

I was going to respond to this when I saw it but it was answered so fast. Rarely does a problem arise that I can actually help with and I did not get to give any useful input oh well.

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oddly enough, the earliest NA Toyota vehicle with this is the 1998 Sienna. It was a standard feature.

10. viking31

viking31 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(exhuman @ Sep 18 2006, 01:10 PM) [snapback]321193[/snapback]</div>
    That happened to me a month ago. I always thought I was pretty good at just looking at my tires and know if one tire was low on air. The low pressure indicator beat me to the punch. Turned out it was a nail producing a slow leak in one of the tires. So check the suspect tire for a nail or something that could cause a leak.

After the tires are inflated to the pressures you desire, you will need to reset the indicator (see manual).

Rick
    #4 2006

11. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

Years ago I had a student who kept asking questions about laboratory procedures. Tired of all the questions I asked if she had heard the saying "seek and you shall find." To which she replied yes, but I like better the one that says "ask and you'll receive answers". Which explains why so many folks ask without reading the manual.

12. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    From various reading on TPMSes, that symbol is evidently what the
    international community came up with as "standard" after MANY others
    were considered and discarded. But in the meantime, some of the
    interim symbols may have found their way into a few production cars.
    _H*

13. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I posted a thread earlier today reminding folks to check their tire pressures due to the drop in temps in many parts of the country. Mine were down around 4.5psi from where I'd last set them. If you folks trusted your dealers to set your tire pressure they probably put them at 35f/33r a 4 psi drop is probably more than enough to trigger your TPMS warning to go off.

So, if you're in an '06 check those pressures before you get the indicator. If you're in any other year...check them despite the fact that you won't get an idiot light!

14. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ha! wife got the indicator light today. She was all upset. I showed her the picture at the top of the thread and told her what it was. I am now tasked with fixing it!

but at least she isnt upset anymore!

15. xbdude

xbdude opticat

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My '06 Tacoma Pre-runner has the same tire pressure sensors as my '06 Prius. The warning light came on and I checked all the tires and they were within specifications. Come to find out, it was the SPARE tire that was low on air. I lowered it from its stowed position, refilled it, and the warning light went out. Just wondering if a Prius spare that was low on air would trigger the light? I guess I should go out there and find out. So far, I've never even seen the spare in the Prius!