1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Symptom of failing battery pack?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Brooke D, May 11, 2015.

1. Brooke D

Brooke D New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi folks,

I posted earlier getting failure codes that might indicate something wrong with the battery pack. The codes were P3000, subcode 123, v0100 subcode 211/330. My independent mechanic said that I needed both the battery pack and the battery ECU replaced, based on these codes and the fact that they tested the hybrid pack under load.

At the same time, my auxiliary battery was low. You folks suggested replacing that first.

So I did. I have so far driven over 140 miles without the engine check light and triangle of death coming on again. But I do notice that the SOC screen shows my battery going into the green far more often and far more readily than I remember it doing so in the past. All it takes is a little downhill (say quarter to half a mile) and it will go into green--sometimes 100%.

I'm guess what I'm looking for is some sort of objective data that says my mechanics are right and not shining me on...

Thanks,

Brooke

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The 12v battery will not fix your P3000, subcode 123, v0100 subcode 211/330. The car was reset when you put in the new battery, once it picks up the codes again, you'll see the triangle. You should start looking for a HV battery pack option now.

3. Brooke D

Brooke D New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, JC91006.

I wasn't clear in this message because I was trying to keep it short, but the codes were cleared 140 miles ago. (The check engine light actually turned itself off. I took it to the mechanics anyway, I they read/cleared the codes at that point, which, as I say was 140 miles ago). If I had a bad battery back, is it reasonable to expect that the check engine light would have reappeared by now? Or is it naive of me to think so?

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Once the car is reset, it has to detect the issue before the lights come back on. It would be very surprising if the 12v battery change would fix those issues.

5. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You are fortunate to be in the Bay Area. There are two solid, super trustworthy, superior reputation, superior Prius knowledge shops:
    Art's Automotive in Berkeley
    Luscious Garage in SF proper

Maybe use one of the above, since you seem to have doubts about your mechanic.

#5 exstudent, May 11, 2015
    Last edited: May 11, 2015
  6. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    You are assuming that the ECU was reporting on a true fault.......instead of making a false report because it's power supply was weak (the 12 V battery).

I think it is unwise and somewhat irresponsible to flatly state what you did.........because you don't really KNOW at this point.

For the OP: Just drive it. If there really is another problem hiding in there it will come back in time.

7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's good solid advice

8. Dino33ca

Dino33ca Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Op, is your hybrid battery cooling fan going non stop? Can you hear it at all?

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it could be possible that the battery can recharge more, since it doesn't have to constantly top off the 12 volt.

10. Brooke D

Brooke D New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No--can't hear it all.

11. Dino33ca

Dino33ca Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    That's good. It's not overheating. You might want to look into getting it cleaned out if it hasn't already been. Most Prius owners ignore this maintenance practice...

Battery Fan Cleaning | PriusChat

12. Brooke D

Brooke D New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks to everyone. This afternoon, I decided to take my car in again and have the battery pack retested.

Previously, when I first encountered the issue and had the codes read, the shop reported that the ECU was bad, that the battery cells were unbalanced, and all cells were weak and dropped fast under load.

Now, after having replaced the 12 volt battery, they are reporting that the ECU appears to be fine and the battery cells are all perfectly balanced. However, under load, the cells drop to the minimum 15 volts and then recharge very rapidly. As I understand it, the battery is technically operating within spec but they believe the battery is beginning to fail based on going down all the way to 15 volts, followed by a rapid recharge. But they also say they've never seen a battery behave quite this way. In their experience, the more common symptom of a failing battery is unbalanced cells.

They recommend that I drive around for a month and then bring it in for another check, free of charge. If I understand it right, the thought is that the oddly rapid recharge they are seeing might be a lingering problem based on the ECU having had problems because of the low 12 volt battery and that it might go away just like the unbalanced cells did.

So their advice and your advice agree--just drive it around and see what happens.

And I'd be happy to do that except for one thing: I am terrified of the thought of going into limp mode while driving a particularly difficult road on my twice-a-week commute. (Four-lane highway over a mountain with curves, steep downhills, semi's, crazed motorcyclists, no shoulders to speak of for stretches--and yet a road that everyone drives at near freeway speeds.)

So given this new data, what would YOU do in this case?

Dino33ca likes this.
  13. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You can buy a grid charger from the prius shop for $400 with a discharger option for$20.

This will balance your battery and keep it charged.

This will give you a lot more time on your battery.

Btw, 15 volts is not bad. 14.4 volts would be the minimum

#13 JC91006, May 11, 2015
    Last edited: May 11, 2015
  14. Dino33ca

Dino33ca Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thanks for the update, that is very interesting. Sounds like it was a bad 12v battery...

I'd just run her. Make sure she's running top notch. Fresh Sparks, fresh air filter, injector cleaner (My choice Redline Sl-1). Clean the hybrid battery fan. Oh, and be careful going up your freeway climb. Forget the user's name but there was a fellow here explaining how to go up steep elevation properly. He was basically saying to maintain your battery going uphill, drive only fast enough so that the battery is maintaining its juice level. So take it easy going up climbs....

15. Brooke D

Brooke D New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, exstudent. Although I list myself as being in the Bay Area, I'm a good two hours from SF. If I were closer, I'd certainly take your advice.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think in your shoes, i'd be looking for a new car.

17. Brooke D

Brooke D New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, JC91006. Good to know that I am not a minimum!

18. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think it is reasonable for you to continue driving the car as-is for now. I believe you are concerned about driving Highway 17 from Santa Cruz to Los Gatos? When I lived in Sunnyvale I did that drive many weekends and recognize your concern. However I think you'll have sufficient notice with regards to the traction battery actually failing, and associated driveability symptoms.

With regards to the traction battery state of charge gauge going more into the green than you previously recall when descending the mountain, I also noticed that symptom when my 2004 had logged around 90K miles (a few years ago) and was wondering if my traction battery was going to give out. Now the odometer is at 195K miles and the traction battery remains original equipment.

Dino33ca likes this.
  19. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    If you can't afford a new (to you) car, there really isn't but one practical choice.
    Buck it up and drive it.
    Because there now is no clear cut indication of any faults........what else would you do ?

Might want to consider a AAA membership if you don't have a "road service" plan from someone else.

20. Brooke D

Brooke D New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, Highway 17 it is.

Thanks for the reassurance, Patrick. As I said, I'm fine with continuing to drive it, particularly if I receive advance warning of traction battery failure. I took the car out for a relatively prolonged spin yesterday. It still has the tendency to go into green after slight downhills, but for the most part it stays in blue on bar 6. And the MPGs I got for the drive seemed normal.

So I will take it over the hill this morning.