1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Syncing Lights to Music

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Cloud, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Cloud

Cloud New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I want to try and sync my interior lights with the music.

Heres a video on what I mean.

Just imagine that for the map lights, and rear dome lights.

Although it doesn't have to be the factory installed lights becaue I already tried picturing the wiring for that and it'd be insane. You'd have to hook up a main circuit board that connects to the HU that also connects to each of those lights. That way all the lights are in sync with eachother.

So the second method would be to just have after market LEDs installed in places...say under the center console where the shift knob is. I can't think of any other suave inconspicious spots atm.

How would I go about to do this? I tried google and there seems to be so many methods... I'm in a jungle right now. So i'm seeking the knowledge of those that have attempted something like this before.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Probably can stick some under the front seats too for the rear passengers.

3. Cloud

Cloud New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I was thinking that too! But I wanted to have as many as possible to go above the head. That's because anything that's higher in general especially considering interior design the eye catches first.

I would of course want to install a kill switch for these lights as... I don't want it to be a disco in my car all the time haha.

so I got 3 lower light locations, under console and under the two seats.

I don't mind sticking to one color but if someone knows how to incorporate multiple colors that'd be great!

4. dbdan

dbdan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Gwest is the LED master! He's done some amazing things with lighting and controls. I'm sure he'll chime in.

5. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Have you tried just hooking the LEDs to the speaker output? It's light emitting DIODE so the AC electricity won't effect the LEDs. Also the frequency is so high that your eyes won't notice the difference. Just don't turn the music pass 50 watts and you should be fine.

6. Blackmamba

Blackmamba New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I want that lighted checkerboard roof that you see in Cash Cab. Everytime I get in my car I want it to light up and ring.

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well that would require a modified headliner. If you go that route, perhaps you can go for a starlight effect (similar to a Rolls-Royce Phantom) with small LEDs to mimic a night sky. Then incorporate other LEDs (strips or individual diodes) for your desired effect. The Sienna Limited with the dual-panel moonroof have mood lighting strips. You can take a look at that at your local dealer to check out how it's done.

1 person likes this.
  8. Cloud

Cloud New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    There seems to be a cheap and easy way to get LED lights to sync to your music.... I want to avoid this route

It is quite primitive, meaning you can't control when it blinks and it just blinks randomly to the music.

I want to try to have some kind of circuit board to control the frequencies in which the lights blink so they aren't just... spazzing

9. Blizzard10

Blizzard10 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    if you can figure a way to get 120v AC this will light up your interior no matter where you put it
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ukNwzRnWz8&feature=related]YouTube - Chauvet ColorStrip Video Review[/ame]

10. Cloud

Cloud New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    There is absolutely no room in my car for that...

No one could mount this in their prius without it being an obstruction,

Only spots I could imagine would be on the floor in the rear of the car or in the trunk possibly... But even then the install won't be flush or suave

I like to try and compliment the car's curves by either improving what's already there or something that's quite inconspicuous and looks as if it was done by the factory.

11. drunkin master

drunkin master Contributing Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You can buy this at a local car accessory shop. I won one at a grand opening. I think is was like $20. Just plug into the cig. charger and the leds have two setting. On and sound activated.

12. Cloud

Cloud New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Nah, don't want something that plugs into the 12v source. I want to try and incorporate it into my car.

As I'm getting the Rosen Nav soon, I will being working on that and later next month will focus on syncing these lights with my system.

Quite Possibly I'm contemplating about using bluetooth from my HU to work with these lights.

Will keep posted. Thanks for all the responses so far.