1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

synthetic motor oil : Anyone using PENNZOIL Platinum for their PRIUS ?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by smokey1, Jun 23, 2007.

1. smokey1

smokey1 New Member

anyone here using PENNZOIL PLATINUM synthetic motor oil for their PRIUS ? If so , how's it working w/ your 1.5 ltr. I.C.E. ( quieter , better m.p.g.s , etc. ) . Any oil consumption w/ the PLATINUM ? Last , if not using the PLATINUM , please state other synthetic motor oil you're currrently using and how the synthetic has helped or hinder the performance of the PRIUS . THANKS

2. westex39

westex39 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(smokey1 @ Jun 23 2007, 12:09 PM) [snapback]466880[/snapback]</div>
    I'm not using it yet. But with the stash I have I will be using it. Not much help to your question, but I will post when I have some results.

3. smokey1

smokey1 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(smokey1 @ Jun 23 2007, 01:09 PM) [snapback]466880[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks

4. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I don't use any Pennzoil product and never will. Why? My first vehicle was a S-10 Jimmy with a 2.8L V-6. The previous owner, who we knew, religiously had the oil changed with Pennzoil every 3000 miles. When we rebuilt the engine at 110K miles due to a rear main seal failure the engine had so much sludge that the entire valve area was filled! There was only tiny passages through the sludge to the drains and around the valves. No one in my family has used a Pennzoil product since.

My father, a certified mechanic swears by Quaker State. For the diesel fleet he maintained he swore by Shell Rotella T Full Synthetic and changed it every 25,000 miles. I use it in my VW TDI and change it at the factory recommended 10K miles. I've been impressed with Castrol since using it in my motorcycles and having my FJ1200 go 75000 miles before I totaled it in a high-side on a wet road.

If you are changing on the factory recommended 5K interval there is no need for synthetic oil. I guess you could use it if you are looking to get that last 0.5% of power or get another 1% mpg through reduced friction. If you are intending to extend the life of your engine your just spending for money.