1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Synthetic oil and tranny fluid for better MPG?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by ilovemymac, May 18, 2013.

1. ilovemymac

ilovemymac Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have the 2010 prius V with the 17in tires. I love the rims on them vs the hubcaps on the other models.
    HOwever i have read that it is hard to hypermile with the 17in rims. SO i was trying to figure out what i can do to raise that MPG up there. I have noticed that my prius does not glide well. I watched the video thats posted here and mine just does not seem to glide as easily. Even on a nice hill it slows down quickly. I have 2LBs more air in the tires then it says on the side. mine say 60LB so i have 62. My other thought and forgive me if i dont know what im talking about here. BUt can you change out the 45 series tire for a 50 or 60 series to not have such a wide tire?

My only thought is to running Amsoil 0w30 oil and amsoil synthetic tranny fluid. I know on a regular gas car you can up your MPG at least 2MPG or more. I know someone who had a sienna and went from 5w30 stock oil to 0w30 amsoil and said they increased about 2-3MPG average sometimes more.

Any other ideas you guys got for increasing the MPG on my prius? Ill tell you via the computer on the dash im running 54MPg i am going to fill up in a couple days and see how accurate that is.

2. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The recommended oil for the GenIII is now 0w20 synthetic, so you won't have any trouble using it. As for the trans, the debate rages on for what you should use in it, but sticking with the WS fluid in there now won't hurt your mileage.

3. ilovemymac

ilovemymac Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    What about tires? I had always been taught 17in tires roll easier then 15. thats why all cars have gone away from 13in tires like they did back in the day.
    But people say on the prius the bigger tires hurt

4. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
  5. calirider

calirider ECOmobile

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    15s are better for mpg on Prius

6. ilovemymac

ilovemymac Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Can i change the series tire from the 45 to something like a 60 series that would not be as wide? I love my rims they are really nice i dont want to get rid of them. And of course like someone said in another post the tires on this are poor tires for MPG

7. RAL

RAL Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I do not know why the effect of tire sizes on the Pris would be any different than on other vehicles as to the impact on MPG. In my youth I never ran my cars or trucks stock and in my experience I never had a vehicle that the gas mileage did not suffer when taller or wider tires were installed. As to skinnier tires..I dont know but there will be a trade off....stability....load...???? I leave my cars the way the engineers spec them out. They tend to give longer, trouble free service that way IMHO:whistle:

RAL

8. ilovemymac

ilovemymac Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You guys rock. I have never owned a car with such dedication as the prius. I had a family friend trying to tell me i was crazy and we should get a corolla because its so much cheaper. Some people just dont get it. I love our prius far better then any other car i have ever owned. And its so great to have a community of other Prius owners to chat with

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    F8L, a member here, was suggesting to sub 205/50R17 for the OEM 17" size of 215/45R17. It's a little narrower/taller, works out to have virtually the same OD as 195/65R15. Bridgestone Ecopia EP420 is one option in that size. This'll reduce width, which improve aerodynamics a bit, and change "gearing" slightly. All towards improving mpg.

I might go the route, when the time comes, but for now there's still lot of tread on our OEM Michelin Pilot, in 215/45R17. Our's is Canadian "touring" model, has same rims/tires as US "V".

In winter I swap out our OEM Michelin Pilots for Michelin X-Ice in 195/65R15 (on steel Corolla rims), and the mileage seems to be about the same, fwiw.

With the lower profile 17" I set pressures around 36~38 psi, and with the 15" snows around 42~44. Setting the 17" any higher makes the ride a bit too harsh, and doesn't seem to help much with mileage anyway.

I use Toyota 0W20 motor oil, and their ATF-WS transaxle fluid. I changed the latter once, at the 1 year anniversary, and will do subsequent changes every 2 or 3 years thereon, haven't made up my mind completely on the interval yet. We're quite low mileage.

10. ilovemymac

ilovemymac Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    we are at 51K on the prius we bought. It looks like according to the HSI the previous owner got around 50-52 with it.
    I am averaging 52-56. I drive 40-50 mpg delivering around town and i change 1 trip meter each night to keep track of miles that night and then the other is the overall.

Each night i been averaging 54-56. My overall seems a little less on the other trip meter with my combined hwy and city driving. But just city its been as i stated above about 54. Now thats on the HSI indicator not my calculations.

I have been reading on all the LRR tires but i read on here some of them are not LRR on the 17in size. IS there a way to check to make sure im getting LRR on the 17in?

Sorry for all my questions i never owned a hybrid before and so allot of questions about all this. But thank you all again for your help. I LOVE MY PRIUS

11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    At TireRack's website, say you're tire shopping, input your vehicle, then specify to only show LRR results (along the left side column). The LRR choices are limited in 17". Unfortunately Michelin's Energy Saver A/S for example, isn't available, either in oem 215/45R17 or alternate 205/50R17. Bridgestone Ecopia EP420 is one LRR choice, in both those size, maybe the best.

Also, keep in mind, LRR is not black/white, there are a lot of LRR choices, but still quite a range in just how LRR each is, they're not all going to give the same results. And of course there are other factors, ride quality, noise, traction and so on.

With your mileage, try calculating too. It's a bit of a letdown: Toyota's notorious for sugar-coating the displayed mileage. In my experience between 5~10%.

12. ilovemymac

ilovemymac Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The tires on this car are 60psi

13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Are you sure you're not thinking about the temporary spare? There's a sticker in the driver's door jamb on ours, saying 33/32/60 for front/rear/spare.

A lot of people go higher, but not too much.

14. ilovemymac

ilovemymac Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Sorry 50. That's what the tire says right on it.

15. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If your getting 54 MPG, You are doing really well considering you have 17" tires on it. Even with optimistic readings of 54 MPG. When you fill your gas tank and pencil it out you will be about 50 MPG, thats really good. Great Job!
    Enjoy your car. :)

16. ilovemymac

ilovemymac Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I keep trying for 60 but not sure I can with 17in wheels.

17. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yep, but your doing great, keep up the good work!(y)

18. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That's the max permissible at max load. In the door jamb there's a sticker from Toyo, quite a bit lower. Most find something in between works.

19. ilovemymac

ilovemymac Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I been running 3lb over. Maybe I should lower it?

20. ilovemymac

ilovemymac Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If i change to this size is there anything that would need to be done to the car or is it just the same as putting back on the tires that are on it? The dealer was trying to tell me i shouldnt change sizes