1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Synthetic Oil brings up Engine warning light ???

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by agill, Mar 3, 2007.

1. agill

agill New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi everyone
    I was just on the phone with my Toyota dealership service center to schedule an appointment for an oil change next week for my '06 Prius. And i wanted to know the price of a synthetic oil change... and guess what she told me. She said that Toyota does not recommend a synthetic oil change for the Prius. She said that it brings up the "Engine Warning" light.
    Now i know that many Prius owners here put synthetic oil in their car. Has anyone ever heard of such a thing before... or (i hope not) experienced something simliar.

2. Gadgetdad

Gadgetdad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Good question, I am planning to use synthetic on my next change and wondered about that issue too. I had the problem on my '85 VW Cabriolet.

Any info or threads for us? :unsure:

3. Susanne101

Susanne101 New Member

I would like to know the answer to this question as well.

4. Allannde

Allannde Just a Senior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gadgetdad @ Mar 3 2007, 10:47 AM) [snapback]399541[/snapback]</div>
    Do a Search on "Synthetic Oil". There is a ton of stuff.

My dealer did my last oil change with synthetic oil. The biggest complaint I have is the cost. I am doing it myself from now on.

Edit: If you have never done a search, look near the top right of the screen for the word "Search" and click on it. You will see a box. Enter the words for your search in the box (in this case "Synthetic Oil" and click Okay.

You will get a whole bunch of threads to read.

5. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

Why would you want to use synthetic oil?

6. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :angry: :lol: QUOTE: "She said that Toyota does not recommend a synthetic oil change for the Prius. She said that it brings up the "Engine Warning" light." I would be tempted to respond: "Can you show me that in writing, please?"

What a load of 'BS!' Nothing could be more false!! It seems many dealers' sales staff and service writers are just plain STUPID when it comes to the Prius. With that kind of 'advice,' I would definitely look for another dealer to service my Prius. Toyota does *NOT* advise against synthetic oil. It's interesting that the 'oil change cycle' in Europe is 10,000 miles.

You have no obligation to have your Prius serviced where you bought it. Toyota compensates dealers appropriately for warranty work and any good shop {Toyota or not} can change your oil and filter. In my 2004, I changed to Mobil-1 5W30 at the 10,000 mile service {done by my Independent Mechanic} and all was in excellent condition when I traded it last November for my 2007 Touring Edition Prius. At 15K service, I went to my selected dealer's service department, took my own oil in {3½ qts of Mobil-1 5W30} used their filter and had the tires rotated {~$45}. The oil was not overfilled and my Prius was returned freshly washed. This same dealer will service my new 2007 even though I bought the Prius at another regional dealer {better trade and price}.

7. nwprius

nwprius Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    [Dealers use oil for their changes from a large drum and do not like the inconvenience of having to open cans. Plus their profit margin is much greater for they pay bulk prices.
    Many of us have been using Synthetics for several years, certainly no problems, however is it a real help? doubtful! But I will continue to use it anyway.

8. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Gawd I don't know where to begin. Prius' engine is perfectly happy with synthetic oil. Probably you can make it 'throw a code' by way over-filling the oil (with anything). If you want to extend oil change intervals, avoid 'varnish' on non-contact surfaces, or for any other reason, polyalphaolefin synthetics are alnost certainly the way to go. There are way too many Toyota shops that will 'say anything' to improve their monthly production, and that is sad.

But if you want to take control of Prius maintenance and its cost, you have come to the right place. Just ask.

9. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    So far I've had the dealer change my oil (now at 30K) and gave them synthetic (Mobil 1) to put in (they deduct the cost of the oil from the bill). Not once did they object, only when I told them to put in 3.5 quarts and I would put in the rest. Even then, it was a just a comment as to why not fill up and they did as I asked.

10. Orf

Orf New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is it necessary to flush the engine when changing from normal Toyota oil to synthetic?
    If so, how is it done?

11. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(agill @ Mar 3 2007, 02:43 PM) [snapback]399538[/snapback]</div>
    Run, don't walk, from that dealer. And never ever take your car there for service again.

Of course, if you asked this individuals opinion of their bulk lube system, she'd probably claim it was absolutely peachy. I routinely analyse my used oil, and uncovered an issue that took around $100 in lab fees, and several months of chasing around, to resolve:

http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=12340

http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=14829

Some more about synthetic and oils in general

http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=16566

http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=16772

http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=18410

http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=27461

http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=27824&st=0

Hope this helps. Sorry you got stuck with a bunch of no-minds at the dealer

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Orf @ Mar 3 2007, 10:58 PM) [snapback]399718[/snapback]</div>
    No, it is not. Stay away from that crap. I covered this in painful detail in this thread

http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=28939

I have 22 years experience in industrial process control. Machine flushes are a rare event. Assuming the magic "flush" stuff you pour in actually works, anything strong enough to dissolve sludge/varnish on contact, will also attack gaskets and seals.

12. Allannde

Allannde Just a Senior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Orf @ Mar 3 2007, 06:58 PM) [snapback]399718[/snapback]</div>
    No it is not necessary to flush the engine. I have routinely mixed synthetic oil and regular petrolium oil for years. In fact blends of synthetic oil may be purchased in this country and may also be available in Oz.

Using a blend (I use about half and half) saves cost and reduces the benefit very little. I find, however, that the cost of synthetic has risen more slowly than the cost of regular petrolium based oil so the cost savings are not so great as they once were.

Edit: Sorry, Jayman beat me to it.

13. Walker1

Walker1 Empire

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(agill @ Mar 3 2007, 01:43 PM) [snapback]399538[/snapback]</div>
    She is an idiot. I have been using syn oil not only in my 2006 Prius, but in the last 25 cars I've owned. I've never had an engine light come on yet. Pay no attention to that fool.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Allannde @ Mar 3 2007, 10:26 PM) [snapback]399726[/snapback]</div>
    Sam's Club sells Mobil 1 syn. oil for our engines in a 6 pack and the price is quite good.

14. Bill Lumbergh

Bill Lumbergh USAF Aircraft Maintainer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been using Mobil 1 since I had 5200 Miles on my Prius. It's fine. I use it because we routinely get to -20 here during the winter and it flows better than most other oils.

I'm due for a change in a few weeks once it warms up....my current oil is only 3000 miles old, but has been in there since last September.

15. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Walker1 @ Mar 3 2007, 08:34 PM) [snapback]399750[/snapback]</div>
    So does Costco. It's about $29 there. I haven't bought any yet though.

Dave M.

16. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(agill @ Mar 3 2007, 10:43 AM) [snapback]399538[/snapback]</div>
    go somewhere else.

yes,its true, the engine warning light will come on... does it about 4,000 miles i think. (true for ANY KIND OF OIL)

i assume, you would extend your interval slightly? then do a search on resetting the warning inidicator. its a simple one minute process. simply use the reminder sticker on the windshield they put on when they change your oil, add the amount of miles you want to get your oil change interval (they set oil change intervals at 3,000 miles) then change when it gets to that level.

17. Gadgetdad

Gadgetdad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boxster...WRX...Prius? @ Mar 3 2007, 09:54 PM) [snapback]399789[/snapback]</div>

:unsure:

Boxster, you don't drive much in the winter? :lol: Seriously, if the synthetic oil has been in the deep freeze for months, why would it need to be changed upon waking from hibernation?

Lee

18. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boxster...WRX...Prius? @ Mar 4 2007, 01:54 AM) [snapback]399789[/snapback]</div>
    I wouldn't worry about it. My Prius has very frequent short trips all over Winnipeg in temps down to -40. Based on my used oil analysis of Mobil 1 0W-20, going 6,500 miles between oil changes, no issues whatsoever.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Mar 4 2007, 11:45 AM) [snapback]399888[/snapback]</div>
    Good point, maybe that service writer was referring to the service reminder that American market Prius cars come with. It's just another idiot light.

19. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Usually when dealers lie, at least they're a LITTLE subtle about it!

The manual HIGHLY RECOMMENDS synthetic oil!

20. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    26208 miles after changing to synthetic oil, (we switched at 1k miles) and i have yet to see a check engine light.... i think you're safe ;)