1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Synthetic oil

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Tadashi, May 2, 2005.

1. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I searched for some information on this topic but did not see anything. I was wondering if anyone has seen an increase in fuel economy.

2. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    my fuel economy increases when i'm near the end of my oils life. so far, if there is any difference in normal mpg, it's minimal. 1 mpg if that. but... i'm using different wheels which make things harder to calculate with my car.

3. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Sounds like the oil is shearing down. It's quite common for a conventional 5W-30 oil with polymer additives to experience shear with use. It may shear down to a 5W-20.

Leave it in long enough and it will then thicken up quite a bit, say to a 20W-40. Oil is neat stuff, isn't it?

I would much rather run a stable synthetic that stays in grade. I don't know why folks were so scared of Mobil 1 0W-20 that they refused to buy it and Mobil pulled it off the market.

True it's a SAE 20 at operating temp, but it's a *stable* SAE 20.

I think at most you may gain 4-6 MPG running a good synthetic. Over 5,000 miles, see if the potential fuel economy increase pays for the synthetic.

Of course, if you never want to worry about sludge or varnish buildup, and you intend to keep the car a long time, then run the synthetic.

4. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    What is a good brand synthetic oil?

When I have my first oil change, will I have to bring my own oil to the dealership if I want a synthetic oil? If so....what do I buy?

5. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I've had synthetic in my Pri for about 200 miles now. It's hard for me to gauge just what it's doing, my husband took the car to work with him to change the oil and took it out to 'play' with it... dropped my MPG down to 43 (from about 48) in one day. I've been able to increase the average more easily than expected, even with 350 miles on the tank. I'll report back after my next tank.

6. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

this question is like asking what condoms to buy. It's a personal choice decision. I personally use Mobil 1 5/30 and several others have as well. To say I see a big mpg difference, no, but my intention is to keep this car for a long time, so the added longevity provided by synthetic should help me achive that goal.

7. DanP

DanP Member

All very true. However, it must be noted that surveys show Mobil 1 5/30 ribbed gives the Prius a more satisfying experience.

8. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DanP\";p=\"86684)</div>
    :lol:

9. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva\";p=\"86657)</div>
    Some Toyota dealers also sell Mobil 1, at least around here they do. But it's at least 70 cents a litre more than Canuck Tire or Wally World.

Mobil 1 seems to be a favorite, it's reliable and works as advertised. A lot of folks swear by Amsoil, Redline, Royal Purple, etc. Those cost a lot more.

I'm leery of most of Castrol's "Syntec" offerings as they really aren't "true" synthetics, with the exception of the made in Germany 0W-30. Wally World has their own label of synthetics, but again who knows how it's made?

10. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am currently using Mobil 1 5W30. I believe I've seen a gain of about 2 mpg, which isn't much, but it does help. I'm not doubtful about the quality of Mobil 1, and I'm sure there are a number of other true synthetics out there that are just as good, but I think I'm going to stick with what I know, for now.

11. Jaguar88

Jaguar88 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The AMSoil site has a lot of information about synthetic oils [web:38cbd4977c]http://www.amsoil.com/[/web:38cbd4977c].

It looks like synthetics are well worth the extra cost. If you decide to go with conventional oils, use an oil with the lowest weight spread ie 5w30 rather than say 10w40.

12. Jaguar88

Jaguar88 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Sorry I nly meant to put in a link.