1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

T.E.D (The Energy Detective) for monitoring electric usage?

Discussion in 'Prius PHEV Plug-In Modifications' started by ericbecky, Apr 27, 2010.

1. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Has anyone tried The Energy Detective (T.E.D.) for monitoring their electric usage? If so I'd like to hear some real-world feedback about it.

A friend showed me their TED unit the other day and on the surface it seems like it would be a good fit for PHEV owners.

It says it's compatible with Google Power Meter, which I'd also like to know more about.

2. JeffreyDV

JeffreyDV New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have the TED5000 which I use to monitor my electric usage and my solar production. I find it very useful, however, the system has had a lot of bugs but the company has been very good about updating firmware to correct these problems. There is a company supported user forum that is very helpful.

BTW, my name is Jeff and I just purchased a 2004 Prius and have an Enginer 4kWh system on order. I installed my EV mode switch today. Thanks to all for a very informative site.

3. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just purchased the TED5000 package. I aso have a 7.5 kW Solar System. I have a monitor units for the Solar, the Main House, and the "West Wing" feed. The software will reside on the Solar Monitor Computer I set up for the house. I have not installed TED yet, but I just have to kill the house for a couple of hours to install the current probes! Thankfully they are "Clamp-On". That should simplify the install!!!
    Once I get the rig running, I will report back!!!

4. JeffreyDV

JeffreyDV New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No need to kill house for the install as the CTs are clamp on.

5. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    I own a TED model 1000 since a couple of years and it has been working with out a glitch.
    Installation is a simple task, 2 clamp on probes on the main panel and a monitor device anywhere else.

6. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A- I am an electrician......
    B- To do any electric work in a exposed box with out taking PROPER safety precautions is STUPID!!!
    C- I have been around 57 years because I am not stupid!
    D- When you work on 220, kill the panel.... or it will KILL YOU!!!

7. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree with KK6PD. Even though they are clamp on you still should kill the power. Better save than dead. I don't even like working on live telephone lines. I've done it once and it don't feel good when the phone rings.

8. JeffreyDV

JeffreyDV New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So in a nutshell:

A: TED is useful
    B: TED would be good to track PHEV charging usage
    C: TED should be installed by qualified personnel using generally accepted safety precautions for electrical work.

9. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    You got it right in the nail head.
    The TED device is great to track down any electrical power consumption. You install the isolated clamps to any line coming of the breakers on the electrical panel and you do not have to touch any live wire at all.
    These works like regular AC/DC external Ammeters.

10. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    So I take it then to monitor the mains, you really should be pulling the meter to kill power to the main breaker before installing? Which means calling up the utility company. I'm guessing a total of zero people have actually done that.