1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

T-Mobile Firmware upgrade for HP Ipaq h6315

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Atoyot, Mar 31, 2005.

1. Atoyot

Atoyot New Member

Hopefully this will fix the Bluetooth issues I have with the Prius.

BREAKING NEWS! HP iPAQ h6315 Updates

In our continuing efforts to provide the best wireless experience possible, T-Mobile has teamed with HP to develop an updated version of software for HP iPAQ h6315 Pocket PC. The software upgrade will be available by midnight tonight through http://www.t-mobile.com/hpupdate.

* Sales of the device will resume in T-Mobile authorized locations on March 31.
    * All devices currently in stock or that have already been sold to customers will need to have their software updated by the customer.

The software upgrade is designed to provide:

* Improved overall stability
    * Improved Bluetooth® performance
    * Improved voice quality
    * Improved e-mail performance
    * Other general improvements

2. DudleyDoRight

DudleyDoRight New Member

I installed the new ROM two days ago and lost ALL Bluetooth capability with the Prius (and my BT keyboard). I then took the advice of many of the forum members at davesipaq.com They suggested that after the new ROM is flashed to manually re-install all my Pocket PC programs and NOT use the restore function of the backup system. I did that last night and now the 6315 works with the Prius like it should have done from the beginning.....

Bob

3. adefend

adefend New Member

I noticed that after doing the ROM update you can now dial out from the Prius keyboard on the MFD. Couldn't do this before. Has anyone been able to tranfer a phone book to he Prius from the 6315?

4. kuhjaay

kuhjaay New Member

I just got my Prius Saturday. I was able to pair my iPaq 6315 with the Prius. I got as far as transferring entries from my Contacts on my iPaq to the Prius Phone Book one at a time - but they appeared greyed out in my Phone Book.

Select Settings -- Transfer Phone Data - - Start Transfer
    On your iPaq - go to your "Contacts". From your list - select an entry by holding your stylus on it long enough for the menu to pop-up. You will see "Send via Bluetooth".
    You can send one entry at a time to your Prius.

As I said, I can see the entries in my Phone Book in the Prius, but they are greyed out. If anyone's gotten further than this - advice would be appreciated.

Kuhjaay
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    2005 Seaside - 146 Miles, BC#6
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

5. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Did the same thing earlier this evening. Only way I can dial out is to enter the number manually, or to use one of the one touch buttons.

Would like to be able to access those greyed out entries also, but played with it for at least 30 minutes with the manual in hand...gave up.

Daisy

6. danoday

danoday Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Just installed the latest 6315 update today. Previously, the IPAQ would work, but wouldn't allow you to dial through the MFD. This update fixes that limitation, and allows the MFD to fully control the dialing.

Haven't tried moving address book entries yet, though.

Dan

7. Daisy

Daisy New Member

I can also dial through the MFD with the rom update, but still cannot dial anyone in the phone book I have transferred, because all the numbers are greyed out. I can program the one touch buttons, and dial using them, but the phone book entries do not work, even if car is not in motion. I hope someone can come up with a solution.

Daisy

8. nevesis

nevesis New Member

I am so glad this update came out myself as well. Before, I could not dial out via the MFD, or have callerID on the screen. Also, it was real hit-or-miss weather or not it would even connect! Also, with the old ROM, every time the car is cycled, I had to cycle the BT radio on the iPaq else it wouldn't reconnect.

After the ROM update, I had the same problem with bluetooth completely dying. I chatted with HP support about this "yup, IM-like support on their site". Did I call T-Mobile first? Umm, NO! But after the script was read, the tech was quite helpful. I re-flashed the ROM, and the base unit worked fine. Restored my backup - died again. Restoring backups is known to corrupt ROM updates. Wonderful - so their own procedure to update yields an unusable product. So, I started to get smart and try to replace all the new bluetooth-related problems manually. That wasn't necessary. After my third reflash, I backed that up to my SD card, so I could get to the files. Then, I did a restore from SD instead of the computer. THAT restore worked for me. So, those having problems, I suggest you do your restore from SD - not ActiveSync.

Now, the new ROM allows me to dial out from the MFD (map, phonebook, etc.) which I really missed when I had my crappy v600. But the callerID still comes up as "w" every time. Oh, well - I keep the unit in the front cup holder so I need only glance at the screen there to see who's calling, even while driving. As for the phonebook - I never use it. It's a pain for me, and I never liked the "one-at-a-time" load fashion. Can't even edit it internally. Mine is screwed up since my v600 decided to add them in last,first format. UGH! "call Last Cell First"... yea, that looks right.

But I have no idea what this greyed out problem you are talking about is (other than what happens when the vehicle is in motion). Names and numbers seem to go in fine for me. Also, the bluetooth connectivity has been VERY good lately. Always seems to find the phone, and attach itself to a call - even if I powercycle the car. Finally.

Still, I want the second edition, or Windows Mobile 2004 - to unlock more of the capabilities of the iPaq such as screen orientation. (yea, I have a program that will do it, but many of the apps do NOT like a non-standard screen). The 6315 is very neat, but in my opinion, still rough around the edges. That, and the Prius could use an update to it's Bluetooth stack as well!

9. kaczocht

kaczocht Junior Member

FYI - By doing a hard reset, the new ROM that you flashed will still be present and all factory installed software will be at the state and versions that it needs to be for the new ROM. You don't need to reflash ROM.

I don't know why your restore from SD worked. I backed mine up as the original instructions said with ActiveSync which rendered bluetooth unfunctional after restore. I too reinstalled all applications after doing a hard reset and now BT is fine.

I can only dial a number I saved into MFD from hand keying. The caveat here is that the 6315 must be powered on, not sleeping for it to dial the number.

New quirky things are SMS messages don't alert for 1/2 hour or more sometimes. Signal strength goes down or out and doesn't come back up until I do something on the PDA (could account for SMS delay).

Clock runs very fast now. If I don't sync it to reset the clock, it will gain 4 minutes in 24 hours. This is not good for my RSA software secure token.

The volume on calls seems to be a little better on the unit itself. The volume with handsfree in the Prius is much lower now. The other end is still same quality (you sound like you're in a tunnel).