1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

TACKY INTERIOR?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Mike PhD PE, Aug 28, 2004.

1. Mike PhD PE

Mike PhD PE New Member

I have an order in for an '05 silver #6. The dealer called me today that an '04 had come in so i could drive it. I wanted to see it, because i had never seen the interior, nor did i know how it would drive.

I now know why it says gray/BURGANDY. I do not intend to offend anyone...but does the interior look cheap to anyone else? I do not understand why the dashboard could not all be the same color. I like the interior of the corolla S much more than the prius.

I was suprised at how large and small the interior was at the same time. There is plenty of front and rear seat room, but the hatch space is miniscule. And why are there so many little windows? couldn't the designers make regular pillars like their other cars?

I am not happy with the burgandy dashboard. Is the beige/brown similar? what does the beige/brown dash look like? is the plastic irridescent like the gray/burgandy? i am considering switching over to tideland, or switching to a corolla. I think that the corolla S is much better looking inside and out while being about 12K cheaper WITH a sunroof. The only things i see the prius having over the Corolla S are:

-Rear leg room
    -Fuel Economy
    -Bluetooth
    -Auto Climate Control
    -Steering wheel controls for everything.

But are those things worth $12K?

And is the Beige interior as "unique" as the Gray?

2. macreative

macreative New Member

You should get the Corolla as it is a good car and the Prius obviously insn't going to do it for you. If you are not yet aware, let me remind you - there are many people on long waiting lists to own the Prius - and MOST of these people like everything that the Prius has to offer, including the non-drab Burgundy Accents that help accentuate a black dash.

Good luck in your choice - if you don't think you will like the Prius - why bother.

3. rflagg

rflagg Member

"Those things" you mention are worth far more than $12k to me, definately. Without a doubt, if I had the choice of all the cars out there today, I'd choose the Prius hands down.

That being said, I can't answer for you. If you feel you can live day in and day out with what feels or is perceived as a "cheap" looking car, and you feel that you'd rather have the neat extras like SS/SE, great fuel economy, etc., than keep the Prius. Otherwise, if a car is more about looks and style for you, then go for the Corolla. Perhaps when you're ready for a new car down the road, the Prius will have better interior options to suit your tastes :) Best of luck in whatever you decide!

-m.

4. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Not with that much rake in the windshield. My '95 Odyssey has the same forward trianglar window design, though they are bigger and more useful.
    Only the white, black and silver come with gray/burgandy. The white actually comes with either, not that you get to choose.
    ABS, Traction control, a fabulous CVT (not the same as most belt driven CVTs) 16.1 vs 13.6 cu ft storage capacity, 5.4" more rear hip room, 50+ MPG. Variable intermittent front wipers, remote power door locks, heated side mirrors, one touch power windows, seat back storage, low fuel warning, trip meter (2), rear, seatbelt pre-tensioners 3 rear headrests, not 2. Bluetooth is not standard on a Prius. If you include that, you also have NAV and a bunch of other stuff you can't get on a Corolla
    Standard things the Corolla has that the Prius doesn't: DRL, fog lights, tach, leather wrapped steering wheel, remote trunk release, height adjustable driver's seat. listed for 1,500 pounds towing capacity. Base model isn't $12K more, it is $5K more. I think you are comparing the price of a base Corolla S with a loaded BC Prius. And the base S does NOT have a moon roof.

Now the question becomes: Are all those things worth $5K? A bit different question.
    Of course that doesn't mean it is the car for you :)

5. exces6

exces6 New Member

Here's my two cents.

The Prius has WAY more room and features than the Corolla. When I was in driving school, they used Corollas and there were several problems. One, I was too big for the car, meaning it was hard to get in and out of and the seat had to be pushed all the way back. Also, after an hour of driving it, my legs started to hurt. I wouldn't compare the Prius to a Corolla, the smallest and cheapest of the Toyota lineup, I would compare it to a Camry. The Prius may look small on the outside, but on the inside it has TONS of room.

6. InTheWASide

InTheWASide New Member

I think I found the pics that will answer your question. I attached them below. The beige interior is completely black/dark grey on the dash and doors. I really feel though that with the "futuristic" appearance of the prius, you do sacrifice a bit of the intended look with a beige interior. Not to mention beige will show a lot more dirt.

That being said, I really must agree with macreative and rflagg. There are SO many people on these waiting lists right now, and so many awesome cars out there right now (I was originally trying to decide between about a dozen models in my search) that it's really gonna be simple to find a car with an option package that meets everything you want. Realize the least common options in other cars around the same price range are bluetooth and the hybrid engine.

If you want a sunroof THAT BAD, realize that you CAN always add one to the Prius. It'll be spendy though and you'll be sacrificing some of the aerodynamics of the car. Those grooves in the roof are there for a reason.

Regarding fuel economy, the corolla does still offer great numbers and I think you ought to take your annual driving habits and the length of your commute into thought. 30/38 and 32/41 are pretty good mileage numbers, but you're obviously aware there is much better out there. And take into effect that if you wanted to "pimp" your Corolla at all and maybe go with a 17" or 18" chrome wheels that will dig into your 30-41mpg numbers due to added weight, different tires, etc. My prius with a base of 55mpg STILL gets around 35-45mpg WITH the addition of 17" chrome rims (see my avatar) and the way I drive (typical 22 year old).

I included a pic as well of the Corolla S interior. Maybe it's because I'm SO used to my Prius now, but the seats look like a cheaper fabric (the material of the Prius seats is VERY easy to clean. Just some water and a napkin was enough a couple times for me. The dash/glove box joint on the passenger side looks rather bloated, and I do not know... I just like the idea of a digital dash myself.

I guess the final factor is simply "How bad do you want a car, how soon?" If you want a car "NOW NOW NOW" I'd say go with the Corolla, or suck up the ridiculous premium prices on eBay for a Prius and HOPE it has the majority of what you're looking for.
    If you're willing to wait for a car with a little better warranty (8yr/100,000 on hybrid components in addition to Toyota's standard), better mileage, more toys, what I consider a more streamlined body, more versatility ("miniscule" or not, hatchbacks DO offer more versatility than a sedan/coupe), a better sound system, a NAV system (if available in the Corolla I didn't notice), more leg room as you pointed out, and just knowing that you have a POTENTIAL of getting 714 miles per tank (60 x 11.9) as opposed to 541.2 (13.2 x 41) (YES, I used the highest EPA numbers multiplied by the stated fuel capacity) which will save you money, time and help the earth...

then by all means my friend, wait for the Prius.

I hope I helped at least a little. Good luck with whichever you find yourself driving!!

7. amped

amped Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You should at least sit in a Corolla. I'm about an average sized American male and found Corolla ergo awkward, especially compared to Prius. I also question whether a sunroof can be installed in Prius at all given the roof profile, but I suppose anything is possible given enough cash. Lastly, I have to agree that the tan interior on my '04 tended to stain easily. Although the grey interior seems like an odd mishmash of color coordination, I'm getting it on my first '05 just for the fun factor of something different. Good luck in whatever you choose.

8. Mike PhD PE

Mike PhD PE New Member

Thank you all for your replies. You have given me food for thought and shown that some of you seem to assume quite a bit.

For my price comparison, a Corolla S with the options i would like (stick shift, power package, keyless entry, and sunroof) can be had in my area for about $16k, whereas a prius with the nav/bluetooth would be about $27,5. This is where the 12k difference comes in. I optioned both cars as i would like them.

One thing i want to know is...does the beige interior have any funky irridescent panels like the grey? is the dashboard all the same color?

Also, I HAVE sat in a corolla. that's why i consider it. A friend gave me a ride in theirs and I was impressed with how nice it is for the price.

9. amped

amped Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not sure what you mean by iridescent panels. The faux metal surrounds? If so, both interiors have those.

Sitting in a Corolla is one thing, driving another. My problem was the wheel/pedal relationship. The pedals seemed offset to the right and too far away when the wheel was adjusted to a reasonable (but not comfortable, too high) position. Combined with the chair-like seating position, it felt like driving a motorcoach.

I agree that Corolla represents great bang for the buck...if you fit. I really wanted an XRS until I drove it. I just couldn't get comfortable and found ingress/egress awkward with controls adjusted to my liking.

10. Speedracer

Speedracer New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Your comparing two diffenet car.
    Prius is purpose build and Corolla is mass production car. Capital per car is much less for Corolla. Also Corolla is made in US and not Japan like Prius. Thats the reason Corolla able to spend little better qulity material. For Prius Toyota must use looks a like $1 injection molded ABS/PC plastic parts to reduce cost, which able sale the Prius around $25k. Yes Prius interior is Plastic friendly like GM Cars but right now thats the reality.
    From your post your looking for Bang for Buck and also comfort option for less. If you want sunroof thats too bad, Prius will not give that because add weight and reduce aero dymamic

11. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The Corolla is an excellent car. It is also a less-expensive car, but you get what you pay for: The Corolla does not have NAV, so why insist that if you got a Prius it must have NAV, and then complain about the extra cost?

The Prius is clearly a better car, with extreme technology, superlative mileage, very respectable performance, and unrivalled geekiness and Kermitage. Whether or not you want to pay for those things is your choice, and if buying it would strain your budget it may not be the right car for you.

I had no choice of interior colors. Mine came with the beige, and I am very happy with it. I don't care for the extreme angle of the front and back windows, but I accept that as the necessary compromise for the aerodynamics that help provide such excellent highway mileage.

BTW, I could have bought any normal production car I wanted, and the Prius was the clear choice for me. Some other people would not be happy with it at all.

12. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Mike, all I can say is, that you'd better not look at the interior of a classic. IMO, the 04's have a decidedly Lexus look to them. The interior of mine is blatantly utilitarian in design and style. However, I didn't buy my car for it's looks. As I put 35k, to 40k miles a year on a car, I bought it for the economy, the Toyota reputation of quality, and long term durability.

13. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Let us not forget the low emissions, recycleability of the car. That plastic dash is a bio plastic not a petro plastic. The Prius is one of the most recyclable cars on the road. Toyota has a recycling plant waiting for the batteries as they wear out. The car is a eco friendly car and was planned to be that way from the ground up. As has been pointed out the Corolla is a standard production car. It is a good car, well built, and gets good mpg for a production automobile, but the Prius is the next step. It is also as many point out a statement to others and dam fun to drive and operate.

14. springer

springer New Member

Speedracer

You mentioned in your post you had Navi w/ TV & Parking Assist. I am very interested in this can you tell me more about the Parking Assist, I have the Nav and would be very interested in adding it to my car. is it a TV based parking assist?

15. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    They've got a long wait ahead of them.

16. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Springer, when Costal Tech comes out with its video input, you'll be able to add a back-up tv that integrates with the console. But the parking assist is apparently only available in Japan, and is apparently very slow. You can learn to parallel park in less time than it takes the parking assist to actually do it.

I gather that the Prius is a very small side-line for Costal, and they are consciencious about quality, so they're not always really quick about bringing Prius products to market.

17. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    each person has needs that are specific to themselves. if you are unhappy with the Prius, dont buy it. you will make someone very happy.

if you are looking for someone to commisurate with, i think you have come to the wrong place.

i for one consider the Prius the BEST car on the road. am i biased? maybe, but in my mind, my convictions are reassured every single day.

i have no issues, with its appearance and i havent heard anyone who thought it was cheap and leather is not a consideration for me because of what is done to get it (besides, i never really liked it that much anyway)

for many of us, it is a reaffirmation of a lifestyle choice. sure we can get a cheaper car, but a better deal?? not in my mind. for me i got the best deal available today. i still feel that way and i see nothing on the horizon as far as new models that even comes close to changing my mind.

18. springer

springer New Member

Thanks daniel

I will keep my eye on Costal Tech for the video input. I consider myself to be very good at parking, but the Prius drops off so steeply I am never as close to the car in front as I think, nor can I get as good a view as I would like out the back. I am a bit spoiled by my other cars as their visibility is great. The Costal product sounds like one more fun yet practical toy to add to the list. What is your take on adding something like this to the car in regards to effecting the extended Platinum warranty?

Thanks Springer

19. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    for a view out the back, i think if you try it, parallel parking is a breeze with the Prius if you simply adjust the mirror to see the passenger side tires.

20. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    OK, there must be some discounts on the Corolla as it would list at $17K. But then almost anything except a Prius can be had for less than MSRP :)
    I think the answer to the question we have changed your original question into is: "Don't buy a Prius". If the Corolla S as you described and a Prius BC are equivilent transportation for YOU, then the features in the Prius are not going to be worth the price. If the grey interior was all one color, it wouldn't change the fact that you paid $12K for things you didn't want and still don't have a moon roof, power driver's seat or stick. Personally, the Corolla interior choice of "any color you want as long as it is black" isn't real appealing :)