1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

tail light cover removal

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by fogdrop, Dec 17, 2004.

1. fogdrop

fogdrop New Member

Anybody know how to remove the clear plastic cover of the tail light? One of these on my new Prius got cracked (parking lot incident) and if it's not too difficult, I would like to take it off and seal it up with some epoxy or silicon caulk to prevent moisture from getting in.
    thanks

2. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I don't have the service manuals, though others on the board do. I would guess that you need to get at it from the inside. You probably need to pull a panel or two off the back. I expect there are clips or screws to remove to release the lens.

3. Mainer

Mainer Mainer

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Remove the cover inside the rear hatch that is behind the tail light. There are two nuts that hold the assembly on the car. You will have to disconnect the wires for the lights. Removing these will allow you to remove the loght assembly from the body. You should be able to remove the lens at this point. The manual only offers help to remove the entire assemby, there are no instructions as to further dis-assemble it.

4. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

it's one solid plastic piece. You can't dissamble further.