1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tail lights are not working, but brake lights work fine

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Thenewbie, Aug 13, 2011.

1. Thenewbie

Thenewbie New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Greeting too all the prius experts here.

I purched my 07 Prius with package 5 back in May, and I've been very happy about it. Until tonight someone behind me pointed out I had no tailight; so I did the inspection to confirmed the case. With the headlight on, the car had no tail light ( the license plate lights were on though; I've read some where if the license lights are on, it means it is not the fuse); when I pressed the brake, all the brake light came on.

Is this a common problem to the 07 prius? what is it? I've did some google reading, and still can't get a clue on what it is. Read the "intermittent tail light outage" thread,

priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-prius-care-maintenance-troubleshooting/87505-intermittent-tail-light-outage.html

and somone suggested to get all bulbs replaced to red 9 LED. Would that really sovle the problem?

As of right now, I am not sure if it's an intermittent issue or not.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Thenewbie:)

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It is true that if the license plate lights (and for that matter, the front side marker bulbs and the glove box LED light) work, then the 10A TAIL fuse is functioning.

I suggest that you locate and remove the tail light bulb on each side of the car. If you have access to an ohmmeter then you can measure resistance across the bulb contacts. It could be that both bulbs have burnt out. That would be the simplest explanation for your problem.

I would not suggest that you try to convert to LED bulbs until you have established that there is 12V power at the bulb sockets.

3. Thenewbie

Thenewbie New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks very much for the info Patrick.

The 07 Prius's tail lights seem to have LED bulbs in them. Is there just 1 bulb? or there are so many of them for the tail light? I also assume the tail light and the brake light don't share the same bulb / bulbs?

I DIY my Subaru like no tomorrow, but never landed my hands on the Prius. lol

Thanks

4. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think the bulbs just burn out.

Ours went out, and it was a very quick and easy fix. Buy a bulb at the local auto parts store, pull the panel open just inside the hatch on the side where the bulb is out. Remove dead bulb, insert new bulb. Replace panel. Light works again.

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The 2G Prius brake light is composed of six LEDs within the rear light assembly. The tail light is a single incandescent light bulb.

6. Thenewbie

Thenewbie New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks very much guys, the burned bulbs are now out. Tail light working fine now.

Thanks a bunch