1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Taillights out

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by splashback, Jan 25, 2008.

1. splashback

splashback New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    a week or so ago my wife noticed that both tailights were out. I looked at the fuses and everything seemed fine. I then banged in each light with my fist- they turned on!
    Now every once in a while my left tail light is out- I just have to hit it to turn it on.
    Any suggestions?

2. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It could be the bulbs. Try replacing them.

3. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    it's the harness. when you see prii running around on the streets you'll notice the rear right one goes out first... i messed around with my clip enough where mine usually doesn't go out anymore.

i've seen the passenger light go out.. or "short out".. or lack of connection i guess... anyways.. it goes out first, it seems.

open the hatch, pull the plastic covers off, and fiddle with the harnesses.

4. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    For the driver's side, open that cover to get the jack and you'll be able to access wires for taillight. Try to move them around. That should be better than banging.

5. N3FOL

N3FOL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    +1 on the wiring harness. Simple to fix, but a PITA to get too sometimes. If your prius is still within the factory warranty, take it back to your delearship and document the problem. Good Luck.

6. Skwyre7

Skwyre7 What's the catch?

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I've got the same problem with my driver's side tail light. Last year the brake light wasn't working due to a faulty LED. Fixed for about $35. Now, the same light is having taillight issues, similar to those mentioned in the original post. I haven't had time to fiddle around with it yet. I've gotten a lot of people to tell me the light is out though.

7. Skwyre7

Skwyre7 What's the catch?

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I finally got a chance to wiggle the tail light wiring harness. As soon as I touched it, the light came on. It's still on. :D