1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Take an '08 or wait for '09?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by sorka, Aug 7, 2008.

1. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    We are definitely planning on getting a 2010 probably in 2010 even if they are available by mid 2009.

We also plan to sell the Prius we're about to buy. The only time I've ever sold a car within a year of buying it was our FX45/tech which we bought new for $41K and sold used a year later for $45K so we were very lucky. My 2001 C5 was bought back as a lemon 18 months after I bought it, so I got the full purchase price, tax, and registration. I've been very lucky on thew few new cars that I've bought in terms of resale.

We don't want to wait for the 2010 before we own a Prius, so that's the plan.

Now the question is: get the '08 now, or push back on the waiting list and tell the dealer we want to wait for an '09 which the dealer has said we can do.

If we do that, then we'll pay $500 more but come time to sell, the car will be one year newer from a MY standpoint even if it's really only a few weeks newer.

I'm strongly inclined to wait and get one of the first '09's and pay the extra $500. I think I will get that back in resale if I'm reselling it 18 months out.

2. albob

albob New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Remember to take mileage into account as well. A year from now your '08 will only have 12,000 (or whatever) miles on it while most will have much more. Your '09 will also have 12,000 miles on it while most will have less.

3. penbed

penbed New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    With your luck buy both!