1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Take my 2002 Prius to Rocky Point (Puerto Penasco) Mexico?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by tada, May 22, 2018.

1. tada

tada Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Ok, this may be a stupid question, but would you take a 2002 Prius down to Puerto Penasco, Mexico for a couple of days? The car has about 122,000 miles on it.

It's a four to five hour drive from Tucson. Yes, it's as hot in temperature as Tucson. This is my daily driver (190 miles/day) but in the US, I have AAA that can tow me if I break down and immediate access to my other cars.

I don't want to take my BMW, because that just screams pull me over for a minor or imaginary traffic offense and demand a mordida (a little "bite" - a bribe) to let me continue on. My Jeep Wrangler would be fine to take, although it sucks gas down, but it's secure and I don't have to worry about a battery dying.

I know to get Mexican car insurance, it's cheap and covers me while there. Would you all risk the Prius trip?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i wouldn't, but i tend to over limit my risks. but i wouldn't go to mexico at all, so that may tell you something.

3. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wouldn't either. Your sig says you have an 08 Sienna. That's the one I'd take. Least likely to have any problems.

It's not that far, but as you say, it's a foreign country. Good luck getting parts or a place to fix it in Puerto Penasco.

4. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So? How did that go?

bisco likes this.
  5. tada

tada Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    The trip was great, but I took my Jeep Wrangler. I still think the Prius would have done fine, but better safe than sorry. I brought back 10 lbs of huge shrimp and had a fantastic 35th anniversary.

Raytheeagle and bisco like this.