1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Take the Prius to Branson?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by MNPrius, Jan 9, 2006.

1. MNPrius

MNPrius New Member

We're thinking of a driving vacation this spring and entertaining the thought of Branson, Missouri. It seems like a fairly family friendly local and bound to be warmer in April than Minnesota. The issue of whether or not we'll be surrounded by senior citizens aside (with no disrepect to the aforementioned generation) my big question is how will the Prius do in this territory? Thanks for any input (and feel free to tell me about any other tidbits about the town/area, not just car and road conditions)

-- signed, a MN flatlander. :D

2. Florida Prius

Florida Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    On our trip from Cincinnati through the southern end of the Smokies in the Cumberland Gap area, SAGE did very admirably up and arouind those roads. She kept up with traffic in the fast lane and charged up real nice on the down hill sides..... I hear Branson is nice! Enjoy the trip! Oh - almost forgot - 48.4 MPG first trip.

3. MNPrius

MNPrius New Member

Good to hear, thanks for the well-wishes and congrats on the great MPG so far!

4. roach52osu

roach52osu New Member

I know I waited to place my Prius order until I got some feedback from my parents first road trip in theirs. They have a place in ohio and one in the panhandle of florida. They averaged 47.5 or so on their trip down and about 49 on their way back. Their route takes them through some moderate hills and some mountians as well as level ground and with my fathers penchant for doing 10 mph or so over the limit (yes even in the Prius) I know they were doing 75-80 most of the trip and still got those averages. Hope that info helps in your road trip decision I know it helped me make mine.

5. MNPrius

MNPrius New Member

roach52osu - thanks for your information! Great MPG!! I'm not so much concerned about that (it'll be what it is and better than most) as I am the Prius climbing/breaking through mountainous territory.

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I live in Nixa, MO, just about 30 minutes North of Branson and drive through that area several times per month. You will have no issues at all. I actually enjoy that part of the drive b/c I'll glide/coast down the hills gaining speed then glide as far as possible before using the gas again for the uphill parts. You'll take a little mileage hit but I still average over 50mpg on the interstate portions (65mph) without much effort in the summer.

If you want to really have some fun go down to Eureka Springs, AR for a day and drive your Prius around THOSE hills! It's just a rush seeing how all the low end torque effortlessly pulls you up San Francisco type hills where you can't even see the road in front of you for the steepness of the hill!

If you come this way shoot me an e-mail!

7. kkister1492

kkister1492 New Member

Last summer we drove from the San Francisco Bay Area to Colorado and back. We drove through Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park - 12,000 ft. - in July and had no problem whatsoever.

Enjoy your trip!

8. MNPrius

MNPrius New Member

AWESOME! We'll definitely let you know if we firm up our trip, it would be nice to meet up with you. I have been to Eureka Springs about 13 years ago -- maybe those are the "hills" stuck in my memory. What I remember was a truly gorgeous town, we stayed in this really grand old style hotel too.

kkister1492 - thanks for your info. 12,000 ft is pretty high up there!