1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Take the Ultimate BT challenge?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by windstrings, Nov 27, 2006.

1. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There has been tremendous controversy over providing proof whether the BT stiffening plate provides the benifits it claims.
    Of course these are always by skeptics who have not yet tried the plate, but want the assurance of knowing they aren't being scammed or lulled into a buy that they will later regret.

I guess 150 - 160 bucks is too much for some to take a chance on.... even though up to a thousand folks have tried the plate and are totally excited about its benfits and would not give it back, that still carrys no merit with those who need hard core facts and numbers.. "thats ok".. its not wrong to respond so, just not always practicle to achieve and so those type of folks will miss out on allot of nice things in life that have no proof of thier benifit until first tried.

The arguement has been that its extremely expensive to hire non-biased skilled drivers and set up a road course with perfect results that will not be challenged "anyway" be the same skeptics who will want to know
    1. How qualified was the driver and whats his experience?
    2. what was the road surface temperature and the tread depth of the tires?
    3. what exact moment was the turns initiated and recovered?
    4. etc etc etc etc etc etc. Skeptics will force you to literally recreate the whole test to thier standards and likings, then so will the next, and then the next.

Anyway.. this is a simple test that can do away with all that expensive imperfect foo foo and provide obvious results to the tester for feedback.

The only flaw to this test in order to do it yourself, you must first "buy" the plate to test it!... a big problem with some.. so they will have to just take the word of others who already own the plate or those who buy it and do the test.
    Subjective analysis is not enough, they want real numbers, measurements, or concrete proof of the existence of the benifits.

Here is how it works...
    For new buyers of the BT Plate:
    "Before" you install the BT plate and while you still have the stock plate on do this test.. then again "after" you do a normal install of the BT plate on a flat surface.

Or... For existing users of the BT Plate:
    You can also do the first test with the BT plate installed, but obviously have to reinstall the stock
    plate as before to finish.

-------------------------------------

Before you start.. while on a flat surface take measurements if you like of the door gaps above, sides and below on each door... and note how easy the doors open with regard for the door strikes etc... notice how the latches align up perfectly etc... As it should with a nice new car!

Now...
    1. First Park your prius on an incline with the front wheels higher than the rear.
    2. Place one of the rear wheels on the other side of the curb so its approx 8" or so different in height from the other rear wheel. Yes, now your car is all cockeyed and squirrelly with lots of weight being tranferred towards the rear!
    3. With the BT plate on, note how all of the doors open perfectly with no rubbing! Take measurements if you like to compare.

NOW take the plate off and reinstall the stock plate and repeat the test.
    1. Position the car the same way and see if the doors are not hitting the strike plate perfectly!! Check your measurements in door gaps if you like.

How is THAT for a test!! :)

Now you should have measurements from 3 states....
    A. On a flat surface "which should be the same regardless of which plate is installed.
    B. At the cockeyed angle with the BT plate installed.
    C. At the cockeyed angle with the stock plate installed.

Compare your scores and post them if you like!..
    It will be interesting!

If there is this much movement and torsion while sitting perfectly still, what can you imagine happens when bouncing down the road with momentary to instantaneous shifts in road surfaces and wind gusts?
    What about the whole weight of the car shifting with aggressive turns?

This test doesn't cost a dime nor is anyone endangered!

2. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Interesting!.. as of this post.. there are 47 views and "no" posts!

People sure like to gripe and complain about how the world is not catered to them on a silver platter, but seldom want to do anything about it when given the opportunity?

No one willing to step up to the challenge?

An after thought.... :blink:
    Any test.. even one this simple can still get screwed up.... :p

Keep in mind that if you choose a steeper grade than another, or if your inches of drop from one tire to the other thats not on the curbs is greater or less, that will cause you to have different measurements from another doing the same test.

All parts of this test are constant except those factors.... air temp doesn't matter, there is no speed issues, no skill levels to consider and so there is much less fudge error than on a typical test.

But if measurements are different in how folks set up the test, will only mean there would be more or less stress/twist on the frame this can definately cause a different outcome and cause even more controversy.

Although it will be fun to share the results, this is not perfect enough to compare each others readings and assess why they may be different.

I think the main issue here is that you see a difference from having the BT plate verses not... most likely a noticable difference.

If someone is not willing to do this simple test, then they shouldn't be raising a dust storm about someone else not providing them proof.

I suspect this should silence the skeptics...... ;)

3. Paul R. Haller

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would gladly do your test but I already FELT the difference with the addition of the BT siffining plate so, I threw out the stock plate. Good idea though. I wish I had done that before I removed and threw out the stock plate.
    -Paul R. Haller- :rolleyes:

4. Syclone

Syclone Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windstrings @ Nov 27 2006, 12:41 PM) [snapback]354458[/snapback]</div>
    Looks like a well thought out plan. If I had had the information or thought about it, I might have done it before I installed my plate. As it turned out, I knew the answer within 1 hour after the plate was installed.

Igor, you and I both know that trying to turn the naysayer is like P-----g in the wind. It would serve no purpose. 90% plus of those that have installed the plate are happy with the result. Trying to convince the others has resulted in abuse, name calling, accusations of being delusional, etc. I don't intend to seriously participate in any of the "dis the BT Plate threads". Occasionally inserting a little sarcastic humor into a thread is definitely not off limits, however.

Have a beer relax, and get a hump massage Igor, you'll be much better off.

5. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I would love to do your test windstrings, but the plate is already installed. Next summer might be a better time for me. I'm just a fair weather mechanic.

I sure hope Brian finds some glue that can keep the spoiler on, I would like to have that reinstalled.

6. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Interesting test. I'm already a believer of the plate, but I'm interested to see what difference will come out of upgrading from the BT plate to Tom's Rear Suspension Brace, once I finally get it.

7. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Paul R. Haller @ Nov 27 2006, 03:56 PM) [snapback]354567[/snapback]</div>
    Yep, mines gone forever too.... I don't think this test is necessary for those who already know the difference unless just for fun they want to "see" the difference to go along with what they have felt in the past.

Many skeptics just don't believe "feel".. they have to see to believe.

8. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(syclone @ Nov 27 2006, 04:54 PM) [snapback]354587[/snapback]</div>
    :lol: :lol: I think most of that steam is gone.. hopefully all we have now is just some challenging interesting dialogue.. But it does no good to preach to the choir!....

I'm just trying to give an answer or at least some satisfaction to those who had none in the past.

I can appreciate the need to sink your teeth into some hard facts and numbers... until how, they are just hard to come by... at least something that makes sense and really shows proof.

I think your number of 90% is very low... I think more like 98.. maybe 99% of not higher....

Seriously... After all this challenging, and talking.. I can't think of anyone who has the plate that doesn't like it and see a change.

I do remember some who were not sure "as was I when I first installed", but later when they really had a chance to challenge the cars abilities without question noticed a tighter control.
    But its true, those are subjective results that could be "self brainwashing" as it were.. it will be fun to get something concrete.

I don't like things to get nasty either.. its no fun and most everyone who responds is doing it honestly.. even if its mind blowing and frustrating to grapple with the logic by others....

But rather than toss "beliefs" back and forth..... I see this as a hard core way of proving a difference without getting all bent out of shape because someone comes in after the fact and didn't like the way you conducted the test.

This is a personal test for ones own satisfaction, curiosity, and fun.

There is no reason for things to get hostile and out of hand..... lets just let the results and facts speak for themselves and be grown up enough to accept the results.

I won't even say "I told you so".. I just want this to be a tangible fun way to alleviate concerns without fighting with each other that gets nowhere.

And now that you mention it.. my hump does itch a bit... later...

9. Orf

Orf New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I seem to remember reading somewhere that Toyota had fitted a heavier duty plate to the 06 Prius. Can anyone confirm that?

To standardise the test why not jack the rear wheel up and put a brick or two under it. That would make the test more uniform.

10. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Orf @ Nov 27 2006, 06:51 PM) [snapback]354657[/snapback]</div>
    This was confirmed a myth. The plate hasn't changed for the 07 nor the 07 TE either.

11. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

Perhaps one reason for many views but few replies is that this topic belongs in the Prius Mods forum, not here. Unless, of course, one is merely trying to instigate...

12. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Orf @ Nov 27 2006, 08:51 PM) [snapback]354657[/snapback]</div>
    that may do something, but as the test specifies if you have your front wheels higher than the rear so as to throw more weight to the rear, that may be pretty dangerous.

Would be a bummer if someone got hurt doing this test.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KTPhil @ Nov 27 2006, 08:58 PM) [snapback]354662[/snapback]</div>
    Instigate, challenge.. however you name it.... its a post which poses a challenge about a test that can be done to determine if a mod is worthwhile.

I suppose it would fit there too.

13. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

"I suppose it would fit there too."

:lol: :lol: :lol:

14. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KTPhil @ Nov 27 2006, 11:40 PM) [snapback]354714[/snapback]</div>
    NO seriously folks!.. it according to whether the part "the mod" is the focus here or whether the test is the focus.

A test which proves weaknesses in the structure of the stock prius.

Its whether you want to look at the apple or the stem! :D

15. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

I'm only seeing a worm.

16. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This appears to be an excellent test. We should be able immediately see the difference the new plate makes in body stiffness.

I do like the idea of the two bricks under one wheel for standardization of the test, but just the idea of doing a static test is great.

17. Orf

Orf New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windstrings @ Nov 27 2006, 10:05 PM) [snapback]354663[/snapback]</div>
    I agree that having the car on a slope precludes the use of a jack to slide a couple of bricks under the wheel.
    However, how much weight is transferred to the rear wheels by having the car on a slope?
    Looking at the geometry of the weight acting through the axles of the car, a 5 degree slope would make very little difference in weight distribution. Even 10 degree is not going to make much difference.
    So, how importantis it to have the car on a slope?
    Please do not get me wrong. I am not trying to knock the test just trying to establish in my own mind the importance of the slope.

18. Syclone

Syclone Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rick Auricchio @ Nov 28 2006, 01:33 PM) [snapback]354859[/snapback]</div>
    Is that similar to bricking a camel? :rolleyes:

19. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Oh...I was thinking you could just do the test on level ground and lift one back wheel with bricks. This would still provide a decent amount of torsion on the frame.

If this type of test works, then it isn't even necessary to find a slope. And it eliminates the variables of the slope and the curb height.

20. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Orf @ Nov 28 2006, 03:35 PM) [snapback]354943[/snapback]</div>
    some bricks are crapola.. just be careful!... no squashed toesies!

But 10 degrees does a fair amount.. especially if its rolling on top of you!