1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Take your PV and shove it

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by tripp, Jul 26, 2007.

1. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Now that I've got your attention, more good news for Cali. PG&E is acquiring the use of 553 MV from a new CSP plant in the Mojave.

Full Article

2. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Holy camolee! That's great news!

I've been told I'm pessimistic, so here goes.......I wish the Parent Company was of U.S. domicile. Is it expected that we have to rely on the intelligence of other countries for technology of this scale? I'm not asking to be facetious.

I googled, but couldn't find info, if this is the largest solar park to be constructed in U.S. territory??????

3. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SSimon @ Jul 26 2007, 10:02 AM) [snapback]485514[/snapback]</div>
    Apparently, yes. But if any OTHER country needs consulting on how best to import billions of barrels of oil - we can sell THAT info back to them, or maybe just barter. :)

4. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tripp @ Jul 26 2007, 10:53 AM) [snapback]485449[/snapback]</div>
    Chaching!

How about just putting solar parabolics in all of the desert regions and paying the state and the taxpayers a leasing fee, just like they get in Alaska for the oil. It's not like there's a dearth of desert.

5. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Jul 26 2007, 12:56 PM) [snapback]485561[/snapback]</div>
    Desserts are ecosystems, nonetheless. Sunshine is an important element to the viability of this habitat for the inhabitants. We can't steal all of it and expect the ecosystem to remain healthy.

6. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    CSP was developed in the US. I think the Israelis have made some important contributions as well. This is the larges CSP project that I know of. There's also one build in the '80's but it's only 354 MW. However, SoCal Edison has contracted for very large amounts of Sterling engine CSP (a different technology). The initial development is 500MW expandable 800MW (full story). An American company is providing those. Most of the companies involved in CSP are American, I think. We have quite a lot of resources for this kinda thing so it makes sense.

For what it's worth, we could provide all of the US's electricity needs with current PV technology by covering an area 102 mi x 102 mi in federal land in Nevada. CSP could give us more (it's currently more efficient than PV) for a lot cheaper. CSP electricity costs about $0.155/kWh right now. It's getting cheaper. The real trick is to devise some inexpensive ways of storing the heat for use at night. That way CSP could provide fairly reliable baseload power, which is more valuable long term than peaking power.

Burritos, the Europeans have been talking about putting this technology in North Africa and buying the power from that area. We could easily generate enormous amounts of electricity here in the SW with this and other solar techs.

7. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SSimon @ Jul 26 2007, 01:01 PM) [snapback]485567[/snapback]</div>
    Destroying deserts vs destroying the entire earth. Pick your poison. It's like Iraq. There's not good answer.

8. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It's not one or the other, however. There are other very viable options and there is SOOOOOO much energy to be had that. We don't have to cover the majority of the desertscape (did I just invent that word?) to supply all of our energy needs. Getting all of our energy from one source in one region would be an awful idea, a lot like our decision to rely almost exclusively on oil for our transportation sector energy needs.

9. ohershey

ohershey New Member

I find this a bit frustrating. We have been building SEGS (Solar Energy Gathering Station) power stations in the mohave desert for 20 years. I personally worked on the control systems for SEGS 7 and 9, way back in <mumble> 1990 or so. Admittedly, SEGS 7 & 9 were only about 80MW plants, but they've been in service for about 15 years with no notice, interest, or fanfare.

Again, the tech was here 20 years ago, and no one would build the plants. Kind of like the EV1 / RAV4 EV crap - they tell us that we don't have the tech, but IT'S A LIE.

We've had SEGS tech for 20 years, yet state senators are telling us that the only way to meet CO2 reduction goals is new nuclear power plants? Am I in a freaking insane asylum?

10. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Jul 26 2007, 03:47 PM) [snapback]485672[/snapback]</div>
    The alterations we impose on a seemingly isolated ecosystem have consequences that extend well beyond that seemingly isolated ecosystem. Destruction of wetlands and the resulting flooding of neighboring areas come to mind. To witness this cause and affect you can look no further than Louisiana for a great example. Besides, the Global Warming that you're concerned with is the very result of the same poor planning and lack of foresight. It's time we evolve from this short term mind send and start thinking about the possible affects for our future. In the case of destroying deserts, desertification comes to mind. The plant material that's instrumental in securing the sand in one place won't be present without any sun.

11. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mad Hatter @ Jul 26 2007, 04:43 PM) [snapback]485755[/snapback]</div>
    First off, quoting the first para of the article...

It doesn't appear that your state legislators want nukes. Furthermore, the real issue isn't the amount of energy generated by these and other renewables... it all comes down to baseload capability. Currently, the only renewable tech capable of that is geothermal (and that's not really renewable). There are others that will be able to provide baseload (tidal, for example) but none that are really on the radar. CSP does offer some capability for baseload (the heat storage I mentioned earlier) but AFAIK, nothing like that has actually been build yet.

12. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the largest solar farm in the US is located at White Sands, NM. It is part of Fort Bliss, TX. It will be 1GW, 10 SQ Miles.

13. ohershey

ohershey New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tripp @ Jul 26 2007, 07:34 PM) [snapback]485899[/snapback]</div>
    Thankfully, California seems to be smart about that. My frustration comes from the new agenda of using global warming to "green wash" nuclear - a technology which produces on of the most horrific byproducts we've yet come up with.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tripp @ Jul 26 2007, 07:34 PM) [snapback]485899[/snapback]</div>
    I do understand the difference between base and peak load capacity, but I'm fairly certain that most of our problems are peak load capacity problems. Additionally, it tends to be the oldest, dirtiest plants that are used to generate at peak times - newer, cleaner, combined cycle plants need to warm up, and are less responsive to peak demand. Peak load generation is also more valuable - more $$ to make the plant return investment.

The SEGS stations are profitable, but they have a slightly lower profit margin than LNG turbine plants, and a much lower margin than coal or nuclear. My agravation is that there is a tech out there which meets the need we currently have (peak capacity), and is completely carbon neutral in operation, but no one would build it for 20 years because they would make 2-3 cents less per share.

I say build the hell out of them - build them until peak power becomes cheap power, and tell everyone to wash clothes at noon instead of after six. When our current off peak becomes the place we need generation, start looking into ways of storing and recovering energy. I'm partial to Oak Ridge Lab's HIPES (Hydrogen Intermediate and Peak Electrical System), though I think their plan is proposed exactly back-asswards. Use electrolysis to store peak solar generated power as Hydrogen and Oxygen and their Hydrogen/Oxygen/Water steam cycle generation during off-peak generating times.

Use the tech to make clean generation viable, not to make nuclear plants more profitable.

14. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mad Hatter @ Jul 27 2007, 10:44 PM) [snapback]486546[/snapback]</div>
    Depends on which problems you're talking about, I suppose. I'm not talking about stressing the grid so much as I am talking about displacing coal fired baseload with carbon free alternatives.

My understanding was that most peaking plants are NG fired, not coal fired. I thought that coal plants are usually employed for baseload duties and that they were not ideal for short ramp-ups.

I agree that CSP is ideally suited for peak, given that peak demands are usually highest when the sun is shining brightly. I'd like to see more CSP and I think that there is some momentum. CSP has shown up here (Denver) in the news papers. I love to see Xcel contract for a plant to be built here in CO. We have loads of sunshine, particularly in the SW part of the state.

What I'd really like to see is subsidies for fossil fuels removed. That would spur renewables while at the same time spurring the adoption of efficiency measures, which would be worth a lot of power generation capacity.

Nuclear can be done a lot better. We could reprocess the fuel for starters. Some of the pebble-bed reactors are interesting.