1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Taking Delivery This Week

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Highly ImPriused, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Highly ImPriused

Highly ImPriused Impressive Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    My Prius is arriving at the dealership direct from the factory this week and I should be picking it up Thursday or Friday (yes I'm pretty excited :D ). Since the dealer charges a non-negotiable $99 "prep and delivery" fee, I'm thinking of making them earn it at least a little. One fairly straight forward thing would be to ask them to inflate the tires to 42/40. But will they be willing to do so since that's not what Toyota recommends? Another would be to have them ensure that the oil level is correct. Would they think I'm crazy for asking this? I've heard of people taking theirs off the lot and checking the oil level when they got home only to find that it's 1/2" above the full mark. Is there really any risk of it being overfilled at the factory?

Anything else I should be aware of or ask of the dealership prior to taking delivery?

2. mywhitenoise

mywhitenoise New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Make sure they give you a spare key, I didn't get one, now I have to scout for a brand new one off ebay, on top of that I have to pay to get it programmed.
    Don't buy the warranty from them, you can get it here for much less.

I think that's about it, not a whole lot to worry about for a new Prius. Congratulations, and have fun!

3. iaowings

iaowings New Member

Eht place o got mine from also has the prep thing to. They told me they would not inflate the tires that high as it is not recommended for the vehicle. They did a thorough check and found that my oil was LOW and put the half-quart of oil in. they checked everything all the lights, carpet and upholstery, paint, and even made sure my mud flap were securely emplace. They had me take it for a quick test drive. They asked me what I though and I said well the steering will was not 100% strait when I was going in a strait line. I was expecting them to look at it and say well its not off by much, but to my surprise they asked me were I would like it to be and maid it so.

I say if they are charging you to prep the vehicle then don’t take it until it is as perfect as can be or at eht least you are happy with it. I made them wash my windows a second time because there were streaks from the first wash.

4. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Highly,

Have them do an alignment check. Seems some Prius come off the boat with the alignment askew, or even the rear axle wrong. Galaxee can help you out on simple rear axle issues.

5. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  6. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd do the usual things:

--Take it for a test drive with the radio off to listen for wind whistles, rattles, etc.
    --Don't let the excitement and the salesperson make you feel rushed. Take time to really look at the body from a few different angles to detect any dents/imperfections in the paint.
    --Look closely at the glass for scratches.
    --If you're feeling paranoid, make sure that the spare and jack and all extras and documentation are present, and that the car came with the options you'd spec'd.
    --Operate EVERYTHING to see if it all works. If you're not sure about something, get the dealer to demonstrate not only how it works, but THAT it works!
    --Check the fit and finish of the exterior and interior and don't sign anything 'till it's all taken care of; any problems you find will be LOTS more difficult to deal with (and you'll have LOTS less leverage) once you accept the car.
    --A corollary: Don't accept the car and drive it off the lot until it's how you'd like it to be. If there's an issue, any issue, LEAVE THE CAR WITH THE DEALER and don't sign any paperwork until they address it. Don't take it home and "bring it back tomorrow and our service manager will take a look at it first thing."
    --If there's any paperwork detailing what, exactly, the $99 prep fee involves, get a copy and make sure that it's done.
    --Most of all: if something's not feeling right, TRUST YOUR INSTINCTS! Don't let the heat of the moment mess with your perceptions. Also, if they promise to install/fix anything with parts that are "not in stock/available right away" get it in writing!

Finally, if you're in CA and don't want the front license plate installed, there is a sheet that you can sign saying that you know that it's against the law but you've requested delivery of the car with no front plate attached. The dealer will probably tell you that "they come like that from the factory" but actually the dealer is the one who does the install...and if you catch them in a timely manner, they can also NOT install it.

7. bradysplace

bradysplace Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Highly ImPriused @ Mar 26 2007, 02:30 PM) [snapback]412419[/snapback]</div>
    Welcome Highly, Congrats on the new wheels. I did not have any issues with the delivery of my 07 touring. I can only recommend that you just drive the car the way you would any other car. Don't worry about milage or techniques at this point. Just enjoy the car. Depending on the option package you have there might be an adjustment period just getting comfortable with the goodies Toyota packages with the Prius. You'll be one of the few who can keep smiling when we hit 4 dollars a gallon this summer. Welcome. Greg

8. Highly ImPriused

Highly ImPriused Impressive Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks all. Some very good advice here, especially the checklist, and many things I would have never thought of. You all are the best!

9. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Take 20 or 30 minutes to read the introductory sections of the owner's manual while sitting in the car on the dealer's lot. This can save some surprises later.

Finally, the most crucial fact for a new Prius owner: when the last pip on the gas gauge starts to flash it means "buy gas right now". This website is strewn with the broken bodies of people who assumed that they could drive 50 or 20 or 10 miles after the gauge started flashing.

10. liverbomb88

liverbomb88 Push the Button!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This may sound ridiculous to some, but from experience, I would recommend you triple-check the VIN to make sure it's the one you bought. The VIN is on the dash of the drivers side but can also be found under the hood, on the back hatch, etc.

11. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(donee @ Mar 26 2007, 07:09 PM) [snapback]412579[/snapback]</div>
    You should definitely do this, but also realize that the dash in front of the steering wheel is slanted. Why is this relevant? Because even when the steering wheel is centered, it can still appear that it's not centered if you're comparing it to the dash. Just make sure that, when the wheels are straight, the steering wheel is centered compared to the road.