1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Taking My '08 In For Water Pump & Steering Recall - Advice Sought

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Kizzy, Apr 20, 2013.

1. Kizzy

Kizzy Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm planning to take my beloved Gen II '08 Prius in to my local dealer for the Water Pump and Steering Shaft recalls next week, and I must admit I'm dreading it a bit. It's not that I don't trust them to a good job and not mess something up, it's just that...well...yeah I guess I don't trust them to do a good job and not mess something up. :)

So...what sort of potential issues should I be aware or be sure to mention to them before they start work? I've read some previous posts of steering wheels being off-center afterwards, so I'm planning to ask them to be sure it's centered after fixing the steering shaft. Anything else like this that is common? For example, are there any sorts of new and unexpected noises that might crop up afterward? Or have most of the PC user experiences been uneventful?

I would think (or at least hope) at this point the dealerships would have these procedures down pat, but then again, every time I come home from an oil change I find myself draining that extra 1/2 quart they keep overfilling. :)

Thanks for any advance information you can provide.

-Alan

2. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    After they complete the work, open the hood and make sure you see good turbulence of the coolant in the HV inverter coolant reservoir. Some stealerships use hose clamps when replacing the HV water pump instead of draining the coolant and filling with new as they're supposed to do be doing. Some technicians forget to remove the hose clamps after installing the new pump.

3. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    xpcman likes this.
  4. Kizzy

Kizzy Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks for the replies so far....these are exactly the sorts of things I'm talking about (steering wheel being returned off-center, hose clamps not removed, etc.). Understood...will do! I always bring a small checklist with me so I can look over the car before driving home. Oil overfilled? Check! Tires under-inflated? Check! Etc. Etc...

Any other common issues or missteps with the recall work? Just trying to be prepared. :)

5. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Going in prepared is most of the battle! :cool:

6. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Other than checking for the turbulence, make sure you see NO leaks anywhere AND check the fluid level in the inverter pump tank when the pump is OFF. The fluid should be at the FULL level. When the pump is running, the fluid level changes. The back of the tank shows fluid higher than the front. This is normal. Also, the fluid should be a bright pink color.

7. Kizzy

Kizzy Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Great information so far. Thanks all.

A few related questions:

1) Is the replacement inverter pump louder or quieter than the original? After the replacment is done, am I likely to begin noticing the sound of it working from inside the cabin?

2) After the steering shaft is remedied, should I notice any change in the tightness or feel of the steering? I've never noticed any problems before, just wondering what the process of adding the bolts will do to it?

Thanks again!

-Alan

8. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    1) Some are reporting it is louder, other's say it is quieter. It seems that the one they put on ours is a little quieter. I can't hear it running in the cabin and can barely hear it under the hood.

2) I did not note any change in the feel or tightness nor any change in the steering. Fortunately for our case, they actually straightened the steering wheel as it was off about two or three degrees to the left. Now it is perfectly flat when driving on a level surface.

For the most part, few have had problems with the recall service. However that does not mean that what is done to your Prius will be or won't be perfect. Just follow up on the things that have been pointed out in this string and enjoy the good MPG.

Good luck to you Alan!

Ron

9. Kizzy

Kizzy Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Fantastic advice. Thanks everyone.

10. FreydNot

FreydNot Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You've already said you will do a full check of the vehicle before leaving. I wish I had done that. It was 6pm and raining when I picked mine up. My car wasn't under cover. So I drove it to my office where there was covered parking. That was when I noticed that both drivers side wheel trim rings were missing. I immediately called to let them know and they said since it was late in the day they would have to call me back the next day. I got the callback today and they said there wasn't any reason for them to be removed so they don't know what to tell me.

So now I have to kick up a stink with the service manager on Monday to get them to make it right. I'll reserve judgment till it all gets worked out, but for now I would be weary of Toyota of Kirkland (WA).

11. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just had mine done yesterday. My new pump is quieter. I did see turbulence in the tank, although it was perhaps over full a bit. I always monitor the various temps to make sure they are normal. If anything they were a tad lower than usual.

As soon as I got in the car in knew the tires were lower pressure, so I filled them back up to 42 psi and was pleased to find that coasting seemed to be noticeably improved, supposedly as a result of the alignment. I think the Prius's rolling resistance is quite sensitive to that factor.

So I would say be prepared to be pleasantly surprised. I waited until now to make sure they had plenty of practice on the job. They did well and were very pleasant to deal with. (Maui Toyota).

Just for a bit of humor while I was waiting, I asked for the price on a replacement 12V battery. $350! I think that such a price will guarantee that there will be a good alternative somewhere else.

12. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    When I got mine seen too, it all looked good. No problems with the steering and good turbulence in the inverter reservoir. Probably two days later I get the email to rate my experience. I have nothing bad to say. A week later I am doing my normal two month 5000 mile oil change and notice a bolt at an odd angle. There are two bolts with integral rubber bumpers placed at opposite sides on top of the grill just inboard from the headlights. One of these, on the passenger side, was skewed and cross-threaded. I don't know why this bolt had to be removed. Didn't seem to be in an area that they needed to work in. It took me a couple of hours to chase out the threads and get the bolt back in there. I had previously thought, and said as much in this forum, that this was an honest and trustworthy dealership (Desert Toyota of Tucson). Not so much anymore. I will be extra attentive next time I have to visit there.

13. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hi nh70. The alignment of the steering wheel with the steering column has nothing at all to do with a wheel alignment. So another case of placebo effect?

14. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Perhaps so... and I'll take a placebo effect any day over a nocebo effect. But they mentioned that they had to take the car to a different place to do the alignment, so I guess I assumed it was more than that. You are right though, in that I don't think they would have done anything additional.

OTOH, why did they lower the pressure in my tires? If they were just aligning the column, they would not have even looked. But if they were actually doing an alignment, then it would be the first step.

15. FreydNot

FreydNot Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    After doing a full check under the hood, I've found low coolant levels (under the low line) in both the ICE fluid reservoir and the inverter coolant tank. The paperwork indicates 1 gallon of SLLC2 was charged for each job (ICE water pump replacement and inverter water pump replacement, 2 gallons total) I'll be having a serious chat with the service manager on Monday about the quality of their service.

16. ski.dive

ski.dive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    For Water Pump & Steering Recall - Advice Sought

My advice is: IF IT AIN'T BROKE,DON'T FIX IT!!!
    I'm not going to bring my PRIUS in for this recall,my PRIUS is running just fine as is.

17. Kizzy

Kizzy Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I've considered just leaving it as is, but the inverter pump and steering shaft recalls do seem important. (I did decline the floor mat and acceleration pedal recalls, as I could see no need for them in my case.)

My appt.with the dealer for the recall work is this Thursday the 25th. I will report back on my experience!

-Alan

18. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    ski dive, It is your choice to ignore the recall if you so choose. To advise other's to do the same is unwise.

Toyota does NOT issue recalls unless it involves a "SAFETY" issue. Also the NHTSA is working with Toyota on this recall.

xpcman likes this.
  19. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Well when I complained about a misaligned steering wheel (on my 2008) they did a FREE alignment when I took it back.

They probably don't know the tires are pointed straight unless they attach some type of alignment tool.

nh7o likes this.
  20. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

The HV inverter water pump may not be broken (yet) but it's pretty darn important to the transmission. You should reconsider your stance.