1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Taking my Prius from UK to France : headlamps

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by pilgrim eagle, May 18, 2007.

1. pilgrim eagle

pilgrim eagle New Member

This is a post about headlamp deflectors.

It's my first post here so I am not sure which forum to put it in. I hope there are plenty of UK-based Prius owners on here.

I am driving from the UK to France on holiday in a couple of weeks, for the first time. So it is a French legal requirement that I install something to deflect my headlamps from their UK driving-on-the-left-of-the-road settings.

So I asked my Toyota garage. They can sell me a headlamp deflector which presumably goes inside the headlamp, but they advised me that in addition to fitting that, they also need to actually deflect the headlamp beams, and it is best to get the garage to do that. But what about when I come back, I said. Do I have to book the car in again to get this reversed? They said no because it is legal to drive in the UK with headlamps set up for Europe, so they suggested I leave them set up for Europe permanently.

This doesn't sound right - won't it be inconsiderate for other road users?

Does anybody here have any experience of this? Do I need to do what my garage suggests or I can just buy something that sticks on to the outside of the headlamps - which is sufficient for most makes of car.

2. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pilgrim eagle @ May 18 2007, 02:48 PM) [snapback]445135[/snapback]</div>
    I've been to France several times with my car (not the Prius) but I've never altered the headlamps because I've never had a need to drive at night in the summer.

So have you considered whether you'll be driving in the dark? It's bad enough driving on the wrong side anyway, without adding to the difficulty by night-driving.

3. scooby52

scooby52 New Member

Hi Pilgrim Eagle,

I am in the same situation as you - taking my Prius to France, and trying to find out about headlamp deflectors.

I asked my local Toyota Dealer, and they (eventually) explained that it's a case of sticking the deflector onto the outside of the headlamp. It sounded like the old fashioned solution we have put up with for years.

Unlike previous cars, which had markings on the headlamps to show where to apply the deflector (at least Lucas headlamps did), the lense on the Prius is completely plain, so I see no choice, but to order the pack, and have a go at cutting out the template.

I'll let you know when I get the pack.

4. clintbhs02

clintbhs02 New Member

I doubt they will stop you when you get there and check to make sure your lights are correct.

I would take the chance and save the money and not do covers. What policeman is really going to have you turn on your lights and get out his ruler and make sure everything is fine. I really think its a waste of money and time for just visiting. And if they do stop you and ask just say oh I plan only driving in daytime :)

5. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(clintbhs02 @ May 20 2007, 05:34 AM) [snapback]446063[/snapback]</div>
    What is going to happen when he blinds all oncoming traffic at night?

6. pilgrim eagle

pilgrim eagle New Member

Update: I phoned my Toyota dealer today to discuss what they proposed to do and all became clearer.

The confusion arose 2 weeks ago I was at the dealer for another reason, and I asked the young guy on the service&parts counter about headlamp deflectors. Unfortunately like me, he knew nothing about this subject! So he had to disappear into the department to ask somebody else - this happened several times as I asked more questions. Either he or I misunderstood what we were told because I left under the impression that they were going to make an adjustment inside the headlamp to move the beam sideways, as well as fitting the piece of black plastic that I was shown.

The discussion on here has helped me realise that this didn't make sense, and sure enough on the phone today, they told me that all they were going to do was to stick the black plastic "deflectors" onto the outside of the headlamps to block part of the beam, using their MoT test rig to position them.

So when I return from France I shall photograph or otherwise record the postion of the deflectors before I remove them, then next time I will be able to fit them myself.

Thanks for the help.