1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Taking our first Long Trip

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by dktrog, Feb 23, 2008.

1. dktrog

dktrog New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Today is my first post on the site and I love this place. Great information and tons of fun to see what everyone has to say.

I bought a new 2008 Prius for the family. We have one child and one on the way. So far we really love this car. It is really for the wife but I have to say I enjoy driving it when I get the chance..its pretty cool..I work out of the house so we only have 400 miles on it. We traded a Chevy Tahoe with the big V8 so needless to say we are saving lots of money on gas. Here in Central IL the gas is now $3.17 - $3.25..wow for this area.

I need some advice...we are taking a trip to Dallas Texas to take our son to the doctor..He is 4 and has to go every 6 months for a heart checkup. He was born with a heart defect and we love the doctors there so its worth the drive. Last trip was in the tahoe and I spent a ton on gas then 6 months ago. I liked the room in the tahoe for trips but that is about the only plus. Any advice or tips on taking the Prius on a 900+ mile trip and what I should expect or do to get the best out of the car and comfort for us. We are going over Easter Break.

Thanks for any and all replies and I appreciate the Help.

Darin
    IL

2. Steamboatsig

Steamboatsig Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My advice is to take lots of pictures. Drive it like you would any other car. Check your tire pressures before you leave, make sure your fluids are topped off (dont forget the windshield washer fluid), and be on your way. Be aware of cross breezes from the big trucks. The Prius is much lighter than your Tahoe and does get moved around a bit. Just pay attention and enjoy the ride.

Have a safe trip.

3. Tom6850

Tom6850 Retired

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Jack up your tire pressure to around 42PSI front and 40PSI rear, (most go 44PSI &42PSI) and just go. It is a great car to travel in. It may not have as much room as the Tahoe but there is still a lot of storage in the Prius. In January we went to our Granddaughters Wedding and put over 1200 miles on the car and used $67 in gas. How that is great.

I wish you both the best for your son. Our grandson at age 22 had to have two heart valves replaced and he is going great four years later.

4. sugar land dave

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Put some full synthetic oil in for the trip, something like Mobil-1 5W-30. Carry a small electric tire inflator in the trunk. Take stops every hour of two to stretch your legs. Drive in the right lanes at posted speeds and enjoy the view. Works for me.

PS: I agree about Texas heart doctors. We have some great ones here in Houston too. I think I read that the best currently may be in the Cleveland Clinic in Ohio. Best of journeys to you!

5. dktrog

dktrog New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks so much owners..I hope to get more advice as well and appreciate the comments on my son. We have a very positive outlook..he too has a bad valve and it may need replaced..

Darin