1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Taking the new Prius in for the obligatory alignment check

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by GoEco, Jun 6, 2007.

1. GoEco

GoEco Red Prii Rule

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    We took delivery late on a Saturday so we were unable to get the alignment checked. I've got an appt. for this Friday, anything else while I'm there?

TIA

2. McShemp

McShemp New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GoEco @ Jun 6 2007, 01:42 AM) [snapback]456368[/snapback]</div>
    Having the car for only a few days, my first question is why?

3. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GoEco @ Jun 5 2007, 11:42 PM) [snapback]456368[/snapback]</div>
    Well, while you are tweaking the car, make sure the tires are inflated correctly, either to Toyota specs OR to the specs used by a lot of the people on this forum (42/40)... personally, I'm running 40/38, because I like being a happy medium!

Also, check the oil dipstick to ensure that the oil is not much above Full... exact or just a hair under is perfect. Over is not.

4. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(McShemp @ Jun 6 2007, 11:30 AM) [snapback]456671[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, why? I have 35,000 on the stock tires, no alignment issues. The car tracks fine, and tire wear is entirely uniform and about 1/2 gone in 35K. What makes you think the alignment is off?

5. eberrong

eberrong Junior Member

My new prius needs alignment also. It has been this way since day 1. I sort of noticed it pulling to the right on the test drive, but we were on uneven pavement sloping to the right so I just dismissed it. After 622 miles, I am now positive that it needs alignment. It always pulls to the right very slightly. Also the steering wheel is not lined up perfect when driving straight. I was planning to get it checked at my first oil change+tire rotation at 5000 miles. Somewhat frustrating because my 1999 honda civic never needed an alignment in 8 years. Same thing with my 2004 honda cr-v. I have read about other new prius owners with the same problem. I am hoping it is easily fixed.

6. GoEco

GoEco Red Prii Rule

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The why is due to all the threads on it being squirrely in high winds and a possible cause misalignment at delivery. We live in a very High Wind Area (though none so far in the last week, thank goodness!) So I figured, "Why Not?"

Thanks, I'll have them check the tires & oil (unless we get to it first), too. Is there a chance they'd have overfilled the oil?

7. likesmpg

likesmpg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GoEco @ Jun 6 2007, 01:26 PM) [snapback]456785[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, mine was overfilled. Still not sure what I'll do about it... drain a little out or wait until my first oil change.

8. alanh

alanh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    My wheel is a little to the right when driving straight, so I'm going to have it checked (I picked it up Saturday). This is on flat streets at slow speed.

9. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    the shipping tiedowns can mess up the alignment, and sticking it on the alignment rack isn't part of the pre-delivery prep process. now as far as this being a prius or toyota only issue.... uh, no. all cars are susceptible to having their alignment screwed up.

10. eberrong

eberrong Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Jun 6 2007, 06:12 PM) [snapback]456886[/snapback]</div>
    Just stating my experience with Honda (which is what I now expect from Toyota). Neither of my Hondas had to be serviced during their 3yr/36k warranty period for any reason (except scheduled maintenance).

I understand that putting it on the alignment rack may not be a dealer prep requirement, but isn't test driving it a requirement? This is an obvious problem that an experienced tech would be able to spot in 30 seconds.

Sorry to vent…just a little frustrated. Appreciate the info about the shipping tiedowns.

11. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    experienced techs doing pre-delivery prep?!
    [​IMG]
    detail guys drive it to the detail shop and back, then up to the delivery area... and if your state requires an inspection, a tech might drive it from detail to the inspection machine or from the bay to the parking lot. (edit: i should make this more clear, the dealership DH works at sells something like 700 new cars a month, now if an experienced tech was to spend all that time test driving each one he would be pissed, because there are much bigger fish to catch in the shop doing maintenance work. the dealership would be pissed that they had to pay the guy to do it since well over 99% of the cars would not have a thing wrong with them.)

alignments are maintenance items too, btw. see here for maintenance stuff

12. GoEco

GoEco Red Prii Rule

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I think the prep was just pulling the plastic off of things, opening up some packages, installing the front license plate, there were some other plastic things that needed to be put on as well. I would imagine they probably look over the outside for dings/dents/scratches.

My little shelf was missing from the glove box and no one noticed that, but me of course. They stole it from another one on the lot! My shade was broken and they also didn't notice that, but that they actually pulled from the parts department to replace.

13. eberrong

eberrong Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GoEco @ Jun 7 2007, 04:39 PM) [snapback]457575[/snapback]</div>
    I looked over my paperwork and the "My Prius checklist" requires a test drive over various speeds and road surfaces. They are supposed to fill in the odometer miles before and after the test drive. Mine was 1.0 and 1.3 miles. So they did a 0.3 mile test drive (around the parking lot probably). My salesman claims this was done at the port (whatever that means). I am going to bring it in for alignment next weekend. My salesman offered a free tank of gas for my trouble.

14. ystasino

ystasino Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I will wait until I hit some more Baltimore potholes and have it checked at around 10k miles or 10 months after purchase. It would still be free right?

I don't know that there's a car that will drive perfectly straight, is there such a thing as a perfectly flat road?

I have found its driving very precise, by far the most precise 4 seater I've driven and minimally affected by winds or big trucks.