1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Talk about a double whammy...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by priusham, Dec 15, 2004.

1. priusham

priusham New Member

Michigan - land of everlasting snowflake icon!
    1) Sold the 2004 Pri with 11,000 gently-broken in miles, was seeing low 40's for MPG numbers now that it's so cold.

2) Got the new, unbroken-in 2005 Prius with 1 mile on the odometer.

3) Seeing MPG in the MID 30's ! ! ! :cussing:

This will be an interesting experiment... as many know there is discussion that the Prius mileage "climbs" up to the 2000 or 3000 mile mark. I have always thought that was more due to the DRIVER learning better mileage driving techniques, thanks to the MFD "game."

Since I already KNOW how to drive a Pri for effective mileage, this shall be a very interesting next few months.

Look for a new Prius mileage chart soon. Here's the old one...

http://www.w8kc.com/priusmileage.htm

2. bweston

bweston Junior Member

That's good to hear... I've had mine for 3 days now and have been around mid 30's. I'm NOT a prior Prius owner so this seemed low (for disconcerting is the fact that the fuel tank is less than half full and I've gone only 127 miles). I'm told the fuel tank is not linear in it's accuracy, and hope that's the case. If it's mid 30s in the cold months, I'll be fine, but I must admint I'll be disappointed if I can't get over 40 over time. Please let us know what you find!

bRaD

3. KCPrius

KCPrius Member

I've had my 2005 Prius for just over a month. I have about 1500 miles on it, and the weather has been mostly on the cold side, with a day or two of snow thrown in for good measure. I am seeing overall mileage of about 42 mpg, and I attribute that to the fact that the heater has been running and the fact that it's either been cloudy and gray or dark when I'm driving, so I'm putting an extra load on batteries with the extra stuff running. One day, though, when it was in the 60's by afternoon, I was able to see my overall mpg (on the energy computer) move up from 41.5 to 46 on my trip home from the office. I'm taking it on a road trip next week from Kansas City to Dallas. I'll be curious to see what it delivers with all highway driving.

4. priusham

priusham New Member

Michigan - land of everlasting snowflake icon!
    With metro Detroit temps in the mid 20's since delivery, I have to run the heater, front and rear defrosters, and lights.

Running that darn engine all the time just murders the MPG. It makes our high tech transport just like all the primitive, non-hybrid vehicles on the road.

I'm not really complaining about a car that is getting double the MPG of what my old Ponitac did. It's just a drag after enjoying a summer of 50+ MPG.