1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Talk me out of buying a Prius....

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by coonbutt, Mar 29, 2007.

1. coonbutt

coonbutt New Member

Hello All - first post!

I test drove a Prius for the first time yesterday. I got right on 47 mpg for my test drive!

The dealer is willing to let it go (Package #2) for $22,000. I can also get 0% for 2 years, and free oil changes for "life". The tax credit of $1,575 is halfed again after Saturday, so I am hoping to make a decision quickly that I can feel good about. I should definitely get all the credit, since I am not near the AMT, have no kids, and rent a house. I can still take the standard deduction with it though, right?

My situation:

Current Car: 2001 Toyota Tacoma (4wd, 4-cyl, 24-25 mpg). No ABS, no power anything, no cruise, wife can't drive (manual trans), 104,000 miles. Never any troubles - it will probably get to 250,000. The clutch is starting to wear a bit though. I can probably get near $7,000 to $8,000 for it.

I will probably manage to get about 18,000 miles on the Prius per year or so.

I still worry about the battery 7-8 years from now (some insight owners are just starting to wear out batteries), and am a little curious what the next one will look like a year and a half from now. Will the current Prii have less resale value, like computers, when newer, better technology comes out?

What should I do? :mellow:

2. Prius The First

Prius The First New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(prickly commute @ Mar 29 2007, 07:48 AM) [snapback]414097[/snapback]</div>

Do your homework - Sell the Tacoma - Buy the Prius - Don't worry about the battery -

You will feel good about your decision. I did.

Good luck and let us know what happens

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You're not going to find many posters on this forum that will try to talk you out of buying a Prius. Don't worry about the battery; there are Prius used in taxi service that have gone for over 200,000 miles.

Tom

4. aSmithee

aSmithee New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(prickly commute @ Mar 29 2007, 08:48 AM) [snapback]414097[/snapback]</div>
    Get the Prius. I bought mine (2007; Package #1) last week and it is great! I've been averaging 45 mpg in town and I pretty much drive like a NASCAR driver -- as does everyone else here in Atlanta. -AS

5. coonbutt

coonbutt New Member

Thanks for the replies. I think I have analysis paralysis right now. Normally I plan buying cars for weeks, but the current deals on the Prius before the summer gas prices and the reducing tax credit in a few days has me planning a lot faster than I usually do.

Oh, and yeah, maybe I should have said talk me "into" buying a Prius? :D

It's just tough to buy a car again when both have been paid off for more than two years, I guess. The geek in me loves the car, but the economist in me is nagging too. ;)

6. Texas911

Texas911 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Tax break, 0% financing, 47mpg, automatic, power everything? Ummmm, its a no brainer! Welcome to the club!

7. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Let me throw in the low depreciation of Prii. Unlike EVERY other car I've ever owned, this one is actually worth a LOT, even more than I owe on it. That rarely happens with a new car.

Lovelovelove the Prius. Even after a year, I'm still amazed by it. You will be, too.

Oh--and I made my decision in two days. And I was upside down on the SUV I was trading that was in perfect working condition with low mileage. And zero percent interest wasn't available then.

8. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    1. Well, the Prius is a high tech car, and anything high tech is "obsolete" the day you buy it. ;)
    2. The battery -will- eventually fail - current cost is around $3000. It is covered under warranty for a long time, however.
    3. You may be baffled by the technology, or even be afraid of it.
    4. Never mind the technology, the Prius body is amazing. Small car size on the outside, mid-size on the inside.
    5. The cloth seats, while "adequate", are rather low quality. You can get the Prius with leather seats in the US, or you can add leather for around $1000 aftermarket.
    6. You will have to "put up" with low fuel costs.
    7. You may become a "mileage fanatic" because of owning a Prius.
    8. Prius may change your driving style. Probably for the better.

Are these positives or negatives?

Whatever. Get the Prius! I will - ASAP.

9. tanglefoot

tanglefoot Whee!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I just got my '07 package #1 (Magnetic Gray) last weekend....I love it more every day! I also did the 24 months 0%. My parents were along when I got mine and they picked one up for themselves yesterday! :p

I think now's a great time to buy one. See if you can do some price matching with another dealer, or find one that's overstocked and under-quota.

I think this is the best car in the world...I wouldn't trade it for any exotic thing out there.....unless I could sell it and get another Prius.

I'm averaging 54.7 mpg and it only has 120 miles on it. I can't wait 'till it's broken in!

The night I brought it home, I pulled the trim rings off the wheels (looks awesome) and pumped up the tires to 42 psi front, 40 rear.

...Plus it's soooo fun to drive. You get really good milage by accellerating quickly (I know, doesn't make sense) and then pulse-gliding and anticipating stops so you don't have to brake hard. You can glide forever if you hold the pedal in the right spot so there's no energy going to or from the wheels.

Oh and don't forget to disable the reverse beeper (it's annoying). There are instructions on this site. Just do a search.

Have fun,

Eric

10. mywhitenoise

mywhitenoise New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Don't regret it, if you plan on having a hybrid now, do it now. This is the best time to buy one since...ever. It's an amazing car, and the battery is warranted for 15 years/150,000 miles (at least in CA). You don't want to miss out on that tax credit. 22,000 is also a nice price, that's almost $2000 under MSRP. Plus 0% APR for 2 years? You have to take it!

11. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Keep your money circulating in the US economy. ;) Buy from an American company. Your schools, local governments and merchants will all thank you.

12. LaughingMan

LaughingMan Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ Mar 29 2007, 12:14 PM) [snapback]414184[/snapback]</div>
    As for schools, and local government, regardless of whether it's an American or an import car, the sales tax that goes to government applies, so no real point there.

13. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ Mar 29 2007, 11:14 AM) [snapback]414184[/snapback]</div>
    That's right. Don't think about which car will suit your needs best. Just buy from an American company. :rolleyes:

Now, if any of the domestic companies had anything that matched the Prius for FE and reliability, then I'd agree. But until they do, you should seriously consider the Prius. I've put over 20K on mine since July, am averaging 54MPG, and have had zero problems.

But, the bottom line is you should get a car that will suit your needs & financial situation best.

14. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LaughingMan @ Mar 29 2007, 11:20 AM) [snapback]414188[/snapback]</div>
    You are forgetting the wages paid to the assemblers, the suppliers, the truckers, the designers, the engineers, the secretaries, the maintenance people and so on. Those wages are all taxed and help all forms aof local government.

15. LaughingMan

LaughingMan Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ Mar 29 2007, 12:25 PM) [snapback]414196[/snapback]</div>
    And of course the onus is on the purchaser of the car to think of all of those things, and it's their fault if all of the above lose their jobs when Corporate at GM or Ford decide to shutter a plant... it couldn't possibly be terrible management at the top of those companies putting the company in a position to be unable to compete.

I agree with Proco... buying American would give me a nice and warm feeling, if any of the American companies had anything remotely fitting my needs to begin with. For me, they don't.

16. KD6HDX

KD6HDX New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Heres what I think. Just because you buy an American car or truck, it does not mean it was made entirely in America. There are dozens of sub-assemblies that are made in Mexico and Canada. Then the final assemblies are made in the USA. so remember its going to be a North America vs the world in the new world order.

I have owned a prius since august 05. I wish it had a bigger gas tank, I drive a lot and live in So Cal. Averaging 49-ish mpg right now with 54 thousand miles. I have a set of stickers. Thank God, er uhh I mean the Flying Spaghetti Monster- that I have a set of stickers for the carpool lane.

American built trucks rule.

Hybrids by Toyota rule mileage. I can't wait for you to talk me out of buying a future Diesel Hybrid FJ Cruiser. If they make one I am there.

Toyota employs many Americans and they also cheat at Nascar. Buy the Prius.

17. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(prickly commute @ Mar 29 2007, 09:48 AM) [snapback]414097[/snapback]</div>
    Ditto what everyone else is saying. As for this question, I wouldn't worry about it. My bet is that the newer, better technology will come in the form of ... a Prius. Meanwhile, your Prius' technology, reliability, and fuel economy likely still will be better than most new cars that hit the market for as long as it's running.

18. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David Beale @ Mar 29 2007, 07:26 AM) [snapback]414159[/snapback]</div>
    More on those seats. How long was the test drive? Some have bought the Prius only to discover that they're in pain after 30 minutes while others have no problem.

I'm with the others about getting a Prius, but if you can rent one for a couple of days I think that would be a good idea.

19. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :eek: Multiple troll alert--!!

I'm on my second Prius in 2½ years... best car buying decisions I've ever made. Main battery? Not to worry, warranty is 100K miles/8 years {California higher}, mainentance costs low, fuel economy high. As for those "American" cars... all contain foreign-made components and some are assembled in Mexico, just have an "American" name... some are owned by foreign companies.

We find our 2nd Prius {'07 touring Edition} an excellent car for around town and highway use. Recently hauled my large leather office chair with hatch closed after having a new base installed. I admit to liking all the gadgets being a technofile. I bought largely for the technology but welcome the fuel economy.

20. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles Suitt @ Mar 29 2007, 12:22 PM) [snapback]414240[/snapback]</div>
    Charles I guess anyone who does not wear his "toyota yes" button on PC is a troll?!!!

I know all of the GM and ford vehicles are really made in Mexico of parts imported from Asia. I know Toyota is helping the good ol' American economy. It just doesn't make sense to me how if all of that were true how Ford laid-off almost as many employees in 2006 as Toyota employs in the United States, Mexico and Canada in total? Can someone help me? If Toyota is building more cars in the US of US-made components how come Ford, GM and Chrylser account for so many more jobs both directly and indirectly? Something just does not add up? hmm....

I would guess that the $1.6 trillion, yes that is $1,600,000,000,000 deficit with trade the US has run with Japan since 1985 consists mostly of GM and Ford secretly outsourcing parts form Japan too. :lol: