1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Talk to a Cop- The good, bad, and ugly!

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Schmika, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Schmika

Schmika New Member

Various threads, most recently the "Ticket in Orange County" thread has prompted me to offer this up, and see who bites.

I am willing to keep my emotions in check and try to offer an objective point of view.....a cop's point of view. I will bring up various "what about this or that...?" scenarios I have encountered in all sorts of places over my 26 yrs as a policeman.

I will also try to give, not answers necessarily, but a different point of view to "this and such happened to me..." type postings.

To start, you must know that there are many different types of officers. They all have different fundtions. State troopers, or highway patrol, tend to focus on traffic but not always. Sheriffs tend to be rural, or work in urban jails. Wildlife officers, park rangers, etc have there unique and special jurisdictions.

Most cops are not "Big city" cops...most officers work in small towns.

That being said, I am currently a patrol sergeant for a city of 62,000 people that is a suburb of a metro area of 1/2 of a million in S/W Ohio (Dayton area)

As a uniformed patrol sergeant, I work 3p-11p driving around a marked cruiser and am responsible for the actions and performance of the 14 officers who are assigned that shift. No fewer than 7 at a time are on duty. While I only respond to "calls" when everyone else is busy, I fall in as back up, come when I am asked for, and stop traffic violators that I see.

During my 26 yrs, I spent the first 9 being a "regular" uniformed officer working all shifts, 3 yrs as the trainng and personnel officer (inside suit and tie job), one more year as a midnight officer (that was when I got divorced), promoted to sergeant, 3 yrs as the jail and dispatch supervisor, 7 yrs on 3p-11p shift again, one year on days, 2 years as internal affairs sgt. and now back on the road again. (I hope that makes 26)

I have attended many differet leadership, street survival, firearms, driving, blah, blah, blah schools.

So, I am going to fire this off in honor of all the "I hate quotas" people because I joke that I do not have a quota....I can write as many tickets as I want. :lol:

Quotas exist...there is no denying it. But maybe you have not thought of it in this way.

Traffic crashes kill over 40K people a year in this country. (that is over one 9/11 every month to get perspective) That does not count the over 2 Million injured.

Between 40-50% of fatalities are alcohol related. Also, almost 100% of criminals get to the location of there crime (and flee it) via a car. So, with that carnage, I would venture to say that SOME part of an officer's job is to enforce traffic violations.

Now, if you disagree with that basic premise...then there is no point in reading further. For you, quotas are bad, period.

There are studies out there, and I have participated in some, that show how traffic enforcement can reduce crashes. These studies go into great detail on methodology, problem is, it is too complicated and time consuming, and expensive. So, the weakest but easiest and cheapest method is just to be out there, writing tickets.

These studies show that if there is NO enforcement, violations will reach a certain "stasis" along with a stable number of crashes, fatalities, etc....it is all statistics and probability.

So, traffic enforcement, by the vast majority of law enforcement, is just "keeping a lid on" and satisfying the public demand. You can see demand on various threads here on PC.

A finite number of agencies use traffic enforcement as a revenue generator. Sad, but true. These are usually little towns with no tax base. In our agency, after a public accusation by a council member, a study was done that showed our city actually lost a small amount of money for every ticket written. When you pay that traffic fine, every dollar does not go to the city.

So, back to quotas. Working an eight hour day, think to yourself, what would a reasonable number of traffic violators being stopped be. I'll give you time to be honest..................................

OK, if you said zero....stop here, quotas are bad period.

If you named ANY number (even one every OTHER shift) you have set a standard you expect your officer to meet. For our dept., I expect every officer to cite at least one violator a day (averaged over the entire month) Now, if I expect my officers to write one a day...THAT IS A QUOTA. I like to call it a performance standard...but a rose is a rose....

We have two motorcycle officers who do nothing but traffic, I only expect them to write 1 an hour (8 a day) and they have no problem reaching that, even allowing...get this....14 mph over the limit BEFORE they stop you. Yes, you can blow by them at 49/35 and they don't blink...but go 50, and you get stopped. They also do not warn very often (less than 10 a month)

So gang, unless you are willing to say officers should NEVER write tickets, then you support quotas. Because as soon as you say they should write at least "x" number...you are setting a standard which supervision must enforce.

Later I will talk about the KIND of citations that officers write, and why they do.

Got a topic that you want addressed instead of this boring traffic thing...just post.

2. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Oh WOW! Awesome post! :)

Gotta think up some good, relevant questions...

3. 2Hybrids

2Hybrids New Member

I commend your service to the public. Well Done.

4. gschoen

gschoen Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Speed traps are my personal favorite. In Houston, there was a decelleration ramp off I-10 (Studewood) that was very short, dropping the speed from the highway 55MPH to the road 25MPH with no stop in between. What was curious is each weekday afternoon there were no less than THREE patrol cars at the end of the street, and an "assembly line" of cops - one working the laser, one standing ready, and a number writing tickets to motorists along the road. Living in the area, I was never stopped, because I knew what was coming and SLAMMED on my brakes as soon as I merged off. It was the best example of a revenue generating speed trap I'd ever seen.

Safety is great, but traffic enforcement has financial incentive for many, including insurance companies who generously donate traffic enforcement equipment. The insurance penalty from a ticket is FAR FAR greater than I'd ever pay from the fine itself.

5. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't understand. Does this mean you are using quotas or not?

I don't advocate the use of quotas but that doesn't mean I advocate the complete halt of issuing tickets... If people are legitimately speeding and causing a danger, I think they should be penalized, and everytime I drive I will see at least one person speeding excessively... If someone gets pulled over and ticketed for "not slowing to 0mph at a stop sign" which few of us rarely ever do and isn't as much of a safety concern as speeding, well I think that's unfair and most people will try to find a reason to blame it on the cop b/c its natural human nature.

You can't expect one to be understanding if they are pulled over for a very minor thing, then ticketed, while every day there is someone else doing worse than you and nothing (or so you think) happens to them (and you think this because you still see someone speedign excessively every day). However, if I do see someone getting pulled over for excessively speeding - I am happy

Quotas exist, but imo it's not helping fatalities or traffic accidents when they aren't used for legitimate reasons. Especially if people are being ticketed for very very minor and subjective things just because someone needs to fulfill a quota.

Working 8 hours a day, a reasonable number of traffic violators being stopped and ticked should VARY.

6. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Great info - thanks for sharing. I'll also have to come up with some questions to ask.

Well, here's one for starters:

Is there a good way to talk a cop out of a ticket? I've only gotten a warning 2x - one time I had a very pretty girl in the seat next to me and the other time I was genuinely in an area that I did not know the speed limit and the cop was nice about it (and he liked my MR2 Spyder).

7. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
  8. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    hmm.

outside the traffic realm. because this is just about the stupidest thing i've ever heard (and was overturned by the DA)

you know those little kitchen sink sprayer things? and how when you turn off the sink there are maybe 12 drops of water in that sprayer, along with enough pressure to launch them 6 inches or so?

say someone took one of those sprayers, and sprayed those 12 drops of water, with next to no pressure behind them, at someone else.

does that constitute assault? and if so, why??

(my answer was: to the wicked witch of the west it might...)

9. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

I don't find quotas bad, in and of themselves. As long as the tickets are deserved and represent a truly hazardous situation, then I have no beef. The more the merrier!

It's the penny-ante stuff that irks me. A ticket for a 5mph rolling stop in the absence of traffic or peds is stupid, whether or not there is a quota.

The driver's suspicion is that a quota is behind the minor tickets. This presumes that the officer is pushed to write a nigher number of tickets, even if it means tix for truly minor offenses. What makes it worse is that this practice then creates a mindset that as long as "X" tickets are written, "the job is done" and even worse offenders go free.

As for warnings, I think they are underused. Sure, there is a deterrent for the SINGLE DRIVER who gets a ticket instead of a warning. But the real value of deterrent is for the 100 drivers who pass the poor sap pulled over, and re-think their speed, if only for a week or two. They have no idea whether it was a warning or a ticket, so the deterrent value is there regardless.

But if there is a quota, the officer will often take the attitude, "as long as I have to pull them over, I'll make it worthwhile on my record."

But a quota for warnings instead of tickets would be just as effective for promoting safer driving, without the bad rep for unfairness.

10. Mystery Squid

Oh, here's a good one:

Around here, as of the last several years, it appears, in an effort to keep more people like me from running EVERY ticket up the flagpole, officers have now been using a similar play on a statement much like this:

"I'm writing your up for ______, I'm giving you a break, as I could have written you up for __________."

I fail to believe it is pure coincidence. Nothing more than a psychological tactic to make you feel like you really did get a good deal (which isn't the case unless you get a warning, a warning, is a real MEANINGFUL good deal), and/or it sort of makes you feel a bit bad for dragging the cop into court to fight it. In other words, it seems like they are trying to create a particular suggestive mindset.

11. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Karl:

Yes, I do believe there are quota’s in traffic enforcement. As traffic enforcement is not uniformly applied, it is *not* an effective traffic control measure or a deterrent as it now is.

As you may already know, my work career is about as long as yours, except I'm a Systems Analyst. However, up until 10 years ago, I did perform consulting for local/regional law enforcement, until I made a very firm decision to no longer offer consulting services to the law enforcement field.

IMHO I find Law Enforcement to be highly political. That is, it's not what you know, but WHO you know. Thus, a wealthy and highly influential local business leader will rarely be bothered, unless that person does something really dumb like get s*** faced and mow down a bunch of kids at a school crosswalk.

Or if a young brat has wealthy parents, and you happen to nail that young brat driving reckless/speeding, the wealthy parents will apply pressure and the case is dropped.

Likewise, some working schmuck who barely has 2 nickels to rub together can expect the full "weight" of the law with little recourse.

Indeed, there was a case last year in Winnipeg where a fellow had a very bad neighbor, loud music and wild parties, in winter always driving a snowmobile on the fellow's yard, etc. The poor fellow could have called the Winnipeg Police Service, except the Neighbor From Hell actually *was* a Winnipeg Police Officer.

The poor fellow finally did complain when the Neighbor From Hell’s 2 teenage boys committed acts of property damage against the poor fellow. From that point on, the poor fellow was *constantly* harassed by Winnipeg Police. Patrol cars followed him around to try to catch him at traffic violations, they would park in front of his house for hours at a time. Very intimidating.

He finally went to a well-known defense attorney, explained what had happened, and the defense attorney set up a hidden video camera in the fellow’s car and at his home. Within a week there was enough evidence to launch an IA investigation, and the best part: that Neighbor From Hell police officer was caught with contraband. He was fired, moved away, and the intimidation instantly stopped.

Although these sort of incidents are thankfully rare, enough of them happen for the average public to be highly suspicious of law enforcement in general. I have found city and some state trooper agencies to be the worst offenders, and here in Canada the RCMP is consistently very bad for "selective" law enforcement.

You may argue that there are only a few bad apples out there in uniform. I have to counter by stating that one bad apple is too much. There is a lot of responsibility behind that badge, and any officer who is corrupt or dishonest deserves harsh penalty. Too much is at stake.

jay

12. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Here's one I love from my college days in South Carolina.

"Son, I clocked you with the radar gun going 52 in a 35 MPH zone. That is a 4 point voilation against your license. However, I am authorized to write the ticket up as going 44 in a 35 MPH zone, which is only a 2 point violation. If you pay the fine by mail, the ticket will be recorded as going 44 in 35 MPH zone. However, your actual speed will be noted on the ticket and if you show up on the scheduled court date instead of paying the fine by mail, then the ticket will be recorded as going 52 in a 35 MPH zone and a 4 point voilation."

Now, I realize that the city, county, state, or whatever, allows the charge to be reduced if you pay the fine by mail in order to encourage people to pay by mail instead of taking up court time. However, it seems a bit slimy to me and a bit like extortion.

13. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    quotas aren't bad if there are more legitimate violators than the quota suggests on every single time period dictated by that quota. but then again, do you need the quota if you can already meet it?

i also think warnings are great. warnings would be great for 10 overs and real tickets for 15 overs.. or somethign to that degree.

one thing i found effective was a speed camera. it flashes when you go 5 over and you instantly slow down. and then you constantly think... oh man.. am i going to get a ticket? At the time i was going 7 over and it flashed on me, and I was like... wow. And as a look back on it, I now realize why all the other cars around me (actually they were already behind me) were going the speed limit. Because usually, people will go 5 over.

and to the post about the speed trap: i think that's very immoral because it sounds like they are exploiting a flaw in the design of the ramp. what is their purpose? protect and serve? or bring in the paycheck?

14. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That is a great post, Schmika.
    I have only one question: How come there's never an officer around to catch the maniacs I see on a daily basis? :)

Oh yeah, a great joke I heard once:
    "I was speeding through town once day and the officer stopped me. He said the ticket would be $25. I gave him fifty since I'll be coming back through."

15. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    oop -- Schmika, I asked a question in the "orange county" thread
    before I saw that this one had been started -- please go see.
    _H*

16. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

Schmika, why do COPS call me house every 2 weeks or so begging for money? I already gave them about $300. How do I get rid of them?

17. Spunky

Spunky New Member

Schmika,

When I took a career placement test in college, the results said I like helping people get out of bad situations and have a highly developed sense of spirituality. They recommended I investigate becoming a minister, ombudsman, or police officer!

I was flabbergasted. What in the world do those three careers have in common, I wondered. And aren't I a virginal pagan, back-slide'n ex-Evangelical (back in the 70's, way before it was hip)?

Went into nursing and then lab research but always wondered what if...

18. Mystery Squid

Amongst these same lines, I read somewhere that some potential candidates for the State Police (it was either in CT or MA, I forget which), were actually denied employment because they scored too high on their tests. The idea being that most police work is dreadfully tedious, thus the candidate would not likely not be happy.

19. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Get caller ID and an answering machine. If it's a number that you don't recognize as a friend or relative, screen the call. If they don't leave a message, what they want isn't important to you anyway. :)

20. Mystery Squid

:lol:

If it's in MA, it's probably the "Fraternal Order of Police"...

I got a call from them once, and they used this line on me:

"Can the officers count on your support?"

Me: "No."

:lol:

...and that's the last time they ever called...