1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tally of Oil Change Misadventure at Lexus Dealership

Discussion in 'Lexus Hybrids and EVs' started by SageBrush, Jul 10, 2012.

1. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    It has been a long time since I let anyone change the car oil/filter besides me, but I was seduced by the free 10k service the dealership offered for my CTh. Immediately after the service I found the oil had been overfilled, and had that corrected the following day.

I forgot about the incident until today, when I performed my 20k oil change. A bit amazing to me at least, I found two more errors: one of the plastic rivets had been replaced by an incorrect size, which allowed the cover to hang and disrupt airflow as well as reduce the performance of the cat heating routine. The other error was more worrisome: the oil filter adapter did not have a rubber gasket. This may explain the drop in oil of about 1/4 between the two dimples in a brand new car.

I brought the car to the dealership for a wash, and they were quite willing to put the car up on a rack to put in a correct rivet. I hope they do a better job of oil changes for others.

2. tk1971

tk1971 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Even with free service, I'd still try to perform any work on my own. I see I'm not the only one who has had trouble with dealership service. I guess the only question is, what do you expect? It's free.

3. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    ^^ You are assuming that the free service is different than the expensive version.

4. tk1971

tk1971 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I expect the same even if I were to pay for it.

I had one of the very first IS300's back in 2000. There were serious problems with that car, and every time it went in for service (paid or otherwise), they'd do something to it I didn't like (scratch here, stain there, etc).

No one's going to care more about your car than you.

Andyprius # 1 likes this.