1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tanabe Front Sway Bar Install

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Dark_matter_doesn't, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Dark_matter_doesn't

Dark_matter_doesn't Prius Tinkerer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Got my Tanabe front sway bar yesterday, and worked on installing it today. I used the Toyota repair manual posted elsewhere for the removal and install instructions, and I learned a few things to pass onto others trying this.

1) The instructions with the bar are completely in Japanese. Tanabe, please try harder - other mods you sell come with at least partial English instructions.

2) You will need a large, 1/2" drive breaker bar and a 22 mm socket, along with a set of metric sockets, a 1-foot 3/8" drive breaker bar, and two torque wrenches, one up to 100 ft lbs and one up to 200 ft lbs, two jackstands and a floor jack. I ended up using a larger one to raise the vehicle for the jackstands, and one for lifting the engine/transmission (see below).

3) The Toyota instructions say to unbolt the top and bottom of the sway bar links. Only the bottom of the link connecting to the sway bar needs to be unbolted.

4) The Toyota instructions for removing the front sway bar call for removing both front lower control arms. This isn't necessary, only one needs to be removed, and the sway bar can be dropped and disengaged from the side with the intact control arm. There's a problem: the forward bolt on each side is blocked by the engine/transmission. On the passenger side, the oil filter housing blocks that control arm bolt from being removed, and on the driver side, part of the transmission housing blocks the bolt from being removed. I did the driver side control arm with a trick - I used a small floor jack to raise the transmission just enough to allow the bolt to be pulled out. I'd guess that, on the assembly line, the suspension assembly is completed before the engine is put in.

5) I put silicone grease on the rubber bushings where they hit metal, either the new bar or the vehicle mount points. I really don't want to hear any squeaks. The rubber bushings go on the bar outboard of the rings welded on the bar. The side of the bushing with the recess goes outboard on the sway bar. There are nubs on the bottom of the bushings that engage holes in the bushing retainer plates, and the bushings have to be on the sway bar correctly for the nubs to line up with the retainer plates.

6) The bolts holding the control arms are torqued to 172 ft lbs, and they are a bear to loosen. For this install, only loosen the rear bolt on one control arm (don't remove), and remove the forward control arm bolt. After removing the two nuts and one bolt connecting the control arm to the ball joint, the control arm can be rotated to the rear to provide room for the sway bar to be dropped and manipulated to remove it from the vehicle.

It took me about three hours to get the new bar installed and the wheels back on. I think I could do it again in half the time now that I've figured out the tricks. I'll go rent the 200 ft lbs torque wrench tomorrow to finish the two control arm bolts, then I'll put the underside covers back on. I'll put wood blocks under the two front tires so that the vehicle is resting on the tires when I torque the control arm bolts, but I'll be able to reach the bolts.

Dylan Doxey likes this.
  2. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What are your other suspension mods?

3. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    what is the diameter of Tanabe bar? OEM is 24mm

4. Dark_matter_doesn't

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    See my signature. I left out the rear TRD sway bar. Very red underneath my Prius!

5. Dark_matter_doesn't

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Tanabe sway bar is 25.4 mm (1") but made from chromoly which is stiffer than conventional steel:

Tanabe USA Inc. - Sustec Stabilizer

6. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Advertising puffery.

Youngs Modulus of ChroMo is about 4% higher than plain old carbon steel, not enough difference to bother talking about.

The manufacturing tolerances on the bar diameter make more difference than that.

7. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sorry I have my option to see signatures turned off. You have a lot of suspension mods. I'm starting to want to do the same thing. I want a tight car that could keep up with a GTI :D

There are 3 issues however. 1) how much added value actually comes from a strut tower brace, chassis stiffener, and front sway bar after a rear sway bar and springs? 2) lack of part availability (for gen II) and 3) are you worried about being too stiff (which is possible you know)?

8. samsprius1

samsprius1 HEV Fanatic

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
  9. cyclopathic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    did it come with new bushings? do you also have the STB? Springs? how did it change handling?

disclaimer: I also have TRD rear and had been considering

10. Dark_matter_doesn't

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yes, it comes with new bushings. Yes, I've got the STB and NF-210 springs. I think the vehicle handles very nicely, but I haven't had a chance to really try it out with the new front sway bar on some twisty on-ramps or local roads.

11. ucsmfu

ucsmfu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    is the tanabe one better than the trd ??

12. HI MPG

HI MPG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Trust me... it's a huge difference. I can hang around corners like a monkey hanging on trees... In other words, this sucker grips!

13. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    ^Calvin do you have a rear sway bar too? I can't remember... If not do you worry about too much understeer w/ only the front sway bar? If you do have one did the FSB negate the effects of your RSB?

14. cyclopathic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    post comments when you get more miles on it. Esp comparing to setup you had before you put it in. We have TRD rear with Tanabe STB and front underbrace. Car understeers still but it can be made to oversteer under some conditions. Lowering springs are out of question, potholes are too many too deep.

15. cyclopathic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    different animal; TRD is back and tanabe is front

16. ucsmfu

ucsmfu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    so for the rear sway bar, the TRD is better than the tanabe ? or ??

17. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    From what people are saying here, TRD is the ONLY one who makes the rear sway bar.

18. peterjmc

peterjmc Ping pong in Ding Dang...

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
  19. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    but not Tanabe...as he was asking about. ;)

20. ucsmfu

ucsmfu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    for the rear trd sway bar, is it from a scion car ? or designed for a 2010 prius ?

Also for the tanabe front sway bar, where can I find the cheapest price at the moment ?

thanks