1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tank capacity more than stated in owner's manual??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by nancycwise, Aug 2, 2007.

1. nancycwise

nancycwise New Member

I just put 12.56 gallons of fuel in my tank, which is only supposed to hold 11.9 gallons, and it wasn't even on the last bar. The gas station insists their pumps are accurate. The dealer says they can't be. Anybody have any ideas?

Also, this is my third tank, and I'm at almost 200 miles with a completely full bar. What good is the gauge if it's inaccurate and unreliable?

2. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Maximum capacity is 11.9 gallons.

Gas pumped in beyond that flows up into the canister for evaporative emissions and the filler neck.

In other words, you will eventually have to replace failed components if you repeatedly overfill. Try you best to avoid that. For me, refill blinking roughly means the 8 gallon mark has been exceeded. So usually don't allow much more than that when pumping.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Try a different station. There is no way your Prius can hold that much gas. Most of us with the U.S. version have a hard time putting in much over 10 gallons.

Tom

4. berylrb

berylrb Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(john1701a @ Aug 2 2007, 08:01 PM) [snapback]489686[/snapback]</div>
    Great hypothesis John1701a! I hadn't thought of that.

Just to show that this is feasible: 11.9 - 12.56 = .66, So is it possible that the filler neck can hold .66 gallons? Hmmm, my initial thought was it sure can! Then my small math ticker said prove it.

One American gallon is 231 cubic inches. The volume of a cylinder is given by, volume = radius squared times height times pi

I'll assume the filler neck has a radius of 3/4", see this link, so if the length is 36", major guess-timate, then volume of filler neck = 64 cubic inches. Since 231 cubic inches is one gallon the filler neck will holds .28 gallons!

Now if one includes the canister that John mentioned and stuff going on around the subtank, his hypothesis is pretty darn accurate!!!

Not to mention I believe that fuel in the filler neck is not subject to the major clean air controls e.g., vapor released into the air, which is one of the major selling points of the Prius. So like John said moral of the story don't overfill!