1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tape to protect Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by pollocks, Feb 2, 2006.

1. pollocks

pollocks New Member

This is my first post, so please be gentle with me :)

We finally got our Prius on the weekend - Seaside Pearl with the HK package. It's sooooo pretty and awesome to drive!!

Anyway, so the first things we did was buy a trunk mounted bike rack - the Saris Bones 3 (or something like that). It's a great bike rack, but I'm a bit worried the metal clips that attach to the car will scratch the paint which I absolutely do not want!

Does anyone know of any clear tape that I can put on the car where the clips would sit to protect the paint, but obviously not damage the paint if we need to take the tape off?

2. McShemp

McShemp New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Check out any of the 3M paint protection threads. That's what you need.

3. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Many auto parts stores now have the 3M or similar tape that can be applied to the paint. I do that before installing items like mud flaps too, so there is no chance of the paint wearing when the flaps move around with gunk behind them. Putting it on to protect from rack clips is a great idea!

4. pollocks

pollocks New Member

I only need it in small patches (a square inch or so), in 6 places. It seems excessive to go to a professional to get 6 small bits of tape. Unless you can get it and put it on yourself??

5. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

Do you have a photo of the rack on the car? I went to the expense and trouble of a hitgh rack because I didn't trust a strap-on rack to not bend the aluminum or break the plastic of the hatch. I'd be curious how the rack fits and grips the car.

I've used truck racks on both wagons and sedans, but in each case there was solid metal and a lack of leverage imposed on the metal parts. I couldn't see how this could work on a Prius, though.

6. pollocks

pollocks New Member

I'll go out and get some tape, then take photos once I put the rack back on. I'll have pics by tomorrow.

7. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yup, you can buy a small roll that is two or three inches wide. The roll I bought ten years ago has done everything I've needed on the last five cars. Easy to do it yourself.